• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You just know with the 1930s thing what kind of problems they had with people posting uniforms of "timeless elegance"....
Hugo Boss make a killing out of that…financially speaking.

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
Hi all. I wrote this article partly as a result of seeing @dieworkwear's category of "Ugly Shoes" in the Bookcore article, partly in light of discussions on the Style and Direction discord, partly in repsonse to the conversations elsewhere on SF about wearing oxfords casually, and partly just in light of my own changing tastes with regards to things like minimal white sneakers and tyrolean shoes. I hope you can enjoy it!

The Ugly Shoe Paradox

Jlord

Reaction score
Hi all. I wrote this article partly as a result of seeing @dieworkwear's category of "Ugly Shoes" in the Bookcore article, partly in light of discussions on the Style and Direction discord, partly in repsonse to the conversations elsewhere on SF about wearing oxfords casually, and partly just in light of my own changing tastes with regards to things like minimal white sneakers and tyrolean shoes. I hope you can enjoy it!

The Ugly Shoe Paradox
Dan, this is great. Thanks!

Spinster Jones

Reaction score
this post from some foreign-language magazine, not sure if Derek caught this one already but it doesn't seem familiar.

Swedish trade magazine for the book industry. It has reached Norway as well. I think DWW hits a nerve. Albeit I've only, so far, seen the follow-up to the dadcore-look a couple years back - fugly white sneakers and ill fitting chinos - mixed in with the uprising of Patagonia fleeces. As have been pointed out. But I think I might have to reconsider it; as a regular is unironically wearing berets and large coats.

Haven't really seen it going the rugged-Ivy route, as Derek mentioned in the article. Probably because bookstores here doesn't operate with the same principles, or have the same aura or affliction with scholastic attire, as the US does.

Last edited:

Spinster Jones

Reaction score
And the Community Bookstore finds it Norwegian counter-part at this antiquarian bookstore.

476D780A-B5CC-4175-8BE5-1B01C0CD8019.jpeg

Only difference is that the guy won't allow cellphones inside, and he's a bit of an eccentric, but that's just pure bookcore.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

krudsma

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads