Let's talk about Arrested Development

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Teger, Nov 20, 2008.

1. King Francis

King Francis Senior member

This show had so many great lines and moments. I did get really tired of the criminal activity/incarceration plotline, though.

But it did give us the criminal escapees: one on the stair car, and one with a jetpack.

2. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I'm buy-curious.

3. Teger

Teger Senior member

I'm afraid I prematurely shot my wad on what was supposed to be a dry run, if you will. So I'm afraid I have a bit of a mess to clean up...

4. Teger

Teger Senior member

I can just taste those meaty leading man parts in my mou....

5. briancl

briancl Senior member

Best show. So many elements that you miss along the way, so its worth watching over and over again.

6. Sesame Seed

Sesame Seed Senior member

The first two seasons were consistently brilliant but the third was a little under par. I think it becomes apparent if you watch them consecutively as I tend to do. The Charlize Theron MR F angle was a bit of a bad move and the self-referential stuff got a little repetitive despite containing one of the most amazing self-referential episodes of all-time in S.O.B's.

7. Teger

Teger Senior member

uhh mr f is probably one of the highlights of the entire show. come on. the gold star?! come on!

8. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

The first two seasons were consistently brilliant but the third was a little under par. I think it becomes apparent if you watch them consecutively as I tend to do. The Charlize Theron MR F angle was a bit of a bad move and the self-referential stuff got a little repetitive despite containing one of the most amazing self-referential episodes of all-time in S.O.B's.

What he said.
    Honestly, as soon as Season 3 got going, I could tell the noticeable difference between the earlier seasons. Not to say the last season was terrible, just not as good as S1 and S2.

9. Philosoph

Philosoph Senior member

^The gold star was great, but an unsatisfying end to that plotline.

+1 to Sesame above.

Now that I think about it, although the writing was mostly brilliant, the show never seemed to conclude any of its various subplots. They were either just ignored as the show moved on, or dragged out too long with an unsatisfying finish. Penny wise, pound foolish with regard to the story.

10. wiru

wiru Senior member

Every time i see jet's 'location,' I want to type "don't call it that."

11. Sesame Seed

Sesame Seed Senior member

I know a movie would undoubtedly be hilarious...but what would it be about? Extra long episode or or a true "movie"?

They need to capture the essence of the show. If they go for an all-out extravaganza they risk emulating crap like The Simpsons Movie (the show has been tanking for the last decade anyway). Arrested Development went out on a high. The third season may not have been as good as the first two but it did not hurt the series overall. The creators should make it as though they are creating episodes for season 4. It needs to have that TV feel where time is easier to come by than on feature length film. Outsiders like Henry Winkler deserve time (fantastic in the show).

12. yerfdog

yerfdog Senior member

But it did give us the criminal escapees: one on the stair car, and one with a jetpack.

the jetpack/Tobias mole scene was one of the funniest things i have ever seen

13. javyn

javyn Senior member

The jetpack scene won the "funniest TV moment in history according to javyn" award. Previously the award was held by the Season 3 finale of Curb Your Enthusiasm where the restaurant opens with the tourrettes chef.

14. blank

blank Senior member

The "on the next Arrested Development..." bit from "The Ocean Walker" had me laughing as hard as I'd ever laughed watching television.

I laughed equally hard when George Michael comments "you know who would be great, and not at all litigious ... is Anne" for softball recruiting.

15. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

Do you...like...magic?