Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Let's talk 7 fold ties

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jyook, Nov 13, 2007.

1. jyook

jyook Senior member

I've been reading about seven fold ties recently... I saw some nice Talbotts when I was shopping around trying on suits...

What's the deal with seven fold ties? Are they really all that they are hyped up to be?

2. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

They're different. Depends on your taste. They have their place, but so do "regular" ties.

3. jyook

jyook Senior member

So what is the "place" of a seven fold? The ones I saw were very pretty..

I know a tuxedo has its "place"... You certainly wouldn't wear one to work... Just curious about seven folds... .

4. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Senior member

Do a search. There's a lot of info already posted on seven fold ties.

5. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

There is no "true place" for a 7-fold tie. It's merely a variation to the whole tie thing. Supposedly denotes ultra-luxury, whereupon a single, large piece of silk is folded upon itself to the shape of a tie.

On average it would tie a thicker knot than most ties, but a heavy gauge wool or silk or a tie with a hefty lining will also do the same.

6. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Seven-fold ties seem invariably gaudy.

7. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

What Lee said.

8. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Mostly hype IMO.

Unlined 7-folds can be cool though they're a somewhat unique look.

If you want a thick tie knot, I think a 3-fold with a nice interlining will work well and be a bit cheaper.

9. AlonzoMosely

AlonzoMosely Well-Known Member

I bought a seven fold. The knot it made was astonishingly small and silly looking. My Zegna, Massimo Bizzochi and Tino Cosma non-seven folds with heavier linings tie a much better knot.

10. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Mostly hype IMO.

Unlined 7-folds can be cool though they're a somewhat unique look.

If you want a thick tie knot, I think a 3-fold with a nice interlining will work well and be a bit cheaper.

I like unlined 7 folds a lot, but only in silks that will not make a thick knots. Also, IMO they are better in prints than wovens.

On the other hand, I weekly win the award for most hated ties on SF, so my opinion might not be all that useful.

11. jyook

jyook Senior member

I knew you guys wouldn't let me down... Thanks...

12. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

I have several Kitons (double 4 folds) and the benefit is the softness of the silk and thicker knots for spread collar shirts. I like them. They tend to be very well made since that are kind of an artisan product. [​IMG]

13. chobochobo

chobochobo Rubber Chicken Dubiously Honored Moderator

As others have said, it's a mode of construction. I've seen some 7 folds eg Daniel Cremieux, that are thick and stiff as a board, whilst the kiton, isaias that I've bought from SF'ers have been supple and luxurious, tying a medium sized knot. the better ones tend to have the better silks too, but not always. I'd pick the colour/ pattern, quality of the silk before considering whether a tie is seven fold or not.

14. Sam Hober

Sam Hober Senior member Dubiously Honored

Jyook, The Talbotts are real unlined seven-folds so they are a good place to start your comparisons. Most seven-folds are actually lined six-folds especially the Italian "seven-folds". Both constructions are elegant and require more silk and time to make than a standard three-fold. From a point of view of hand-craftmanship they often are what they are hyped to be. From a practical point of view unlined six-folds are much more popular as they tend not to wrinkle as much and have a nice solid feeling. We make both daily (as well as standard three-folds and other constructions) so I am neutral. Although my personal preference for most silks is a lined six-fold construction. At times I will also wear a three, four or very rarely a five-fold tie. Note, when I say four-fold I mean exactly four folds. Not a "double four-fold" which is a marketing term used by one or two tie-brands for six-fold constructions and not an actual construction used by tie-makers. Unless you admire the elegance and drape of a six or seven-fold construction I would stay with a three-fold.
    I've been reading about seven fold ties recently... I saw some nice Talbotts when I was shopping around trying on suits... What's the deal with seven fold ties? Are they really all that they are hyped up to be?

15. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Is this a seven-fold? Maybe it's a six, as I believe one of the distinguishing characteristics of a seven is the asymmetrical folds. [​IMG]