• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's see your weight loss

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jsoftz
I don't know exactly what all the ectomorph.. mesomorph or any of that means (links?) but I can say that loose skin is a serious problem for me as well. I guess all people who have lost a significant amount of weight face it..

It means nothing. Its a pseudoscience from the 40s. But yes, the post above indicates what they "mean"

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This isn't a change focused over some number of months, but rather just to give an idea of my trends downwards.
IMG_0301.jpg
to
2011-04-01%2B10.03.jpg
I think the heaviest I've ever been is floating around 220-ish. 36 waist easily. During HS, I got really heavy into running and dropped from there to 168-170, which looked great but wasn't healthy for me (living on about 1000 calories a day and running for two hours a night, 6 days a week). Body couldn't take it as a lifestyle (started going a bit bulimic and having some serious self-image issues) and I blew back up after graduating to the first photo, probably about 215 lbs after my first semester of college. Second photo was taken at the beginning of May, around 190 lbs. 33-34 waist depending. Since the time the top photo was taken, got married and had a kid. Not a ton of weight lost in and of itself, but a decent amount of body recomposition. Had just finished cleaning my daughter's room, was wearing a still-damp pair of recently-soaked denimz, and had a particularly good week at the gym. As good a time as ever for a photo. I really wish I understood more about nutrition, but basics of what I did was: 1) Favor weightlifting over running. Now I really can't just run to run. If I'm not chasing a ball, then I fail to see the point and it becomes a chore. I've been consistant over the last year or two in 3x a week at the gym, along with trying to get in two pickup soccer games a week for the cardio of it. 2) Clean up the diet - no more free pass to the Dining Hall. Started cooking for myself pretty regularly (not the best by any means, but a big improvement over what I was doing). If I'm out and about and can't eat at home, I'll favor Subway. Rarely if ever do burgers and fast food appeal anymore... although Five Guys will always call to me. I wish I understood a lot about the stuff I read on here (Paleo-, gluten free, etc...) but I don't really get it. I've checked out the leangains website and it's intriguing, but rather difficult to navigate and a lot of terminology that goes over my head. Pretty much I've cut out snacks from my diet, keeping to (generally) 3 meals a day, trying not to eat in the last 3-4 hours before bed. Essentially eat when I'm hungry until I'm satisfied, and no more than that. I'll be honest - a lot of my goals in changing were related to improving my self-image. Wanting to feel more attractive towards women and whatnot. Luckily though I've been able to shift that focus to something more personal now (being married and all...) and I find working out fulfilling in and of itself. It's probably one of my favorite passtimes now. I'm glad I found this thread. Great to see other people's progress. Gives me inspiration to try to keep pushing downward.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You don't want to understand the paleo and no gluten **** here. No offense.

landoeffincalrissian

Reaction score
Last summer, I began my weight loss journey in June. I had been skinny my entire life until it caught up to me in my mid 20s. I'm 5'11 on the dot and started out around 180. Through biking, walking/hiking and diet changes I lost 40 pounds in about 3 months. Briskly walking for an hour burns around 250-300 calories. Screw running. It sucks and it's hard on the body.

Hear are some things which helped me:

1)Cut out ALL alcohol(I lost the first 10 pounds with ease just by quitting beer).
2)Only drink skim milk...1% of you really have to.
3)Only drink real, fresh squeezed juice.
4)Make sure you figure out how many calories you burn on a daily basis-then subtract at least 500 calories...I ended up having a daily deficit of 1,000 or more.
6)Water water water...it is your friend...get a nalgene bottle and keep that biznitch filled all day
5)No more fast food
6)No more Junk food
7)Can't emphasize how important it is to have a caloric deficit.
8)Don't eat after 7pm.
9)Get proper sleep
10)When you get a hankering for a big quarter pounder with cheese, stuff your face with vegetables until full.
11)Do interval training.
Sounds like a lot of work...because IT IS. There is no magic bullet to losing weight. It's a pain ********** and takes a lot of will power.

Last but not least...don't be scared of saturated fats....despite what people say, it's actually not bad for you. Eating a ton of carbohydrates to the point where your body stores it as fat is what clogs your arteries.

In the end, you'll feel great and have more confidence.

I played soccer for 13 years in my youth, and I can honestly say I'm in the best shape of my life now at 28...nearing 29.

You can do it guys.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So much bullshit in the poast above.

roryben

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TrH

+1.

If nothing else 5'11 and 140lbs sounds like minimal muscle mass

il ciclista

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
trying the IF plan like suggested (which I was skeptical at first) but I've lost 9 lbs in like 3 weeks..not to mention I don't feel like I'm going to pass out if I don't eat every 5 seconds.
smile.gif

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TrH

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

as soon as i started reading it, i knew SOMEONE would make this the very next post.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by il ciclista
trying the IF plan like suggested (which I was skeptical at first) but I've lost 9 lbs in like 3 weeks..not to mention I don't feel like I'm going to pass out if I don't eat every 5 seconds.
smile.gif

IF is the best thing ive done in a very long time. I ******* love an feeling I've found the magic bullet whe it comes to dieting.

landoeffincalrissian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TrH
Dear Mr. Poast, Being fat and unmotivated, such is the case for yourself, doesn't negate the fact that I'm merely trying to help. Go hit the gym, frat boy.

landoeffincalrissian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by roryben
+1. If nothing else 5'11 and 140lbs sounds like minimal muscle mass
I wasn't going for huge muscle gains. I wanted to be lean and fit...which I am. I'm agile, light on my feet, and I could probably run circles around your hulk ass.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by landoeffincalrissian
Dear Mr. Poast,

Being fat and unmotivated, such is the case for yourself, doesn't negate the fact that I'm merely trying to help. Go hit the gym, frat boy.

Priceless... just priceless! Ad hominems, running circles around hulk-ass poasters, good stuff here man!

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Any cutting tips? I'm off to a slow start. I can bulk really well (with little fat gain), but I suck at cutting properly.

basically it is a careful diet and a ton of cardio. just that simple. i was down to about 1 hour of cardio 5-6 times a week, which i sustained for over 6-7 months till now when im in the process of moving. once i settle in next month i should resume again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads