• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's list things we hate, Clothingwise

cgardel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kit99bar
i dont get this one, you only like seeing buff arms?

More like unusually skinny arms poking out of a short-sleeved shirt draw attention to themselves and can make a man look like a boy. Play up the good and play down the bad. Better to wear something else or perform some resistance exercise to reduce that effect.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ryoneo
...oh right....
laugh.gif
... i meant to say for the average/leaner sized person that wears them
tounge.gif

One night a Samoan (I think) guy came into the yacht club. He was about seven feet tall and at least 400 pounds -- he was enormous! I wanted to ask where he got his duds but I was too scared!

Reaction score
Ironic t-shirts
stripped shirts with jeans and nice shoes
faux hawks
flip flops in bars
dress shirts that don't fit so they puff out of the pants like an atom bomb
seeing another person with my shirt, I've had to throw out 3 shirts over the years because of this
women that wear too much makeup, like I cant see that gunk on your face

All these pet peeves are BS anyway because it all helps in making well dressed people look even better so I say let em be.

kookydooky

Reaction score
Another thing is why do people flock over Hollister, American Eagle, A&F and the likes?

Ive seen the clothes and all it seems to be regular clothes with the brand on the front. How does that possibly make someone look hotter or more appealing. Is the fit really good or something?

clarity

Reaction score
Kids see other kids wearing it and want to emulate. Older guys wearing it probably aren't at a point in life where it's necessary to care about your clothes.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kookydooky
Another thing is why do people flock over Hollister, American Eagle, A&F and the likes?

Ive seen the clothes and all it seems to be regular clothes with the brand on the front. How does that possibly make someone look hotter or more appealing. Is the fit really good or something?

I took a rare trip to the mall recently, and whilst browsing through Gap, Express, AE, etc. what struck me most of all was how expensive everything was. Thanks to the internetz, I've been able to consistently pay less for articles of clothing whose higher quality is immediately apparent. The only exceptions were when I paid more than mall prices for things of substantially higher quality.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kookydooky

Easy access. There are HCO/AE/A&F stores in every mall in the U.S. Finding SF approved brands are not easy, especially if you don't live in a large metropolitan area. Plus, these teenager brands are marketed towards... well, teenagers. They also make it really easy for teenagers by shoving down very simple outfits and themes so that consumers only have to put in minimal effort at best.

Fortysomething

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
Do you seriously think it's disrespectful?

Yep. Perhaps even insulting. Even if it is stylish, some who wear jeans that have been patched and sewn, wouldn't if they didn't have to.

It's kind of a wannabe worker or worse yet, "I could never wait long enough or wear my jeans hard enough for that to happen, but I so want to look like I did"

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will admit I have committed some of the "sins" you guys listed, such as bootcuts (some of these cuts look good on me since I wear a 13. As long as flare isn't excessive, then it is fine.)
Big Punisher, kids at my school wear sneakers with long black socks and shorts at my school and I just have the urge to punch them in the face. Usually complemented by something like A&F or Hollister and some Ice Cream boardflips.
Here are some other things I hate:
-A&F, Hollister and AE
-Jean Shorts
-Chucks
-Extremely Chunky shoes
-"Ironic" tees
-Long socks with sneakers, mostly done by people 30+ "who don't give a fack."

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fortysomething
Yep. Perhaps even insulting. Even if it is stylish, some who wear jeans that have been patched and sewn, wouldn't if they didn't have to.

Using that "logic", you shouldn't let your hair grow long. Cuz y'know, some people can't afford haircuts.

YoungM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fortysomething

It's kind of a wannabe worker or worse yet, "I could never wait long enough or wear my jeans hard enough for that to happen, but I so want to look like I did"

I'm sorry, but I find this crazy. Do you outlaw all distressing, because some people are stuck with distressing that they don't want? or outlaw all workwear styling, because some people hate workwear, but have to wear it? Using that logic, I'd be amazed what you're OK with.

Do you only wear shorts, because some people can't afford the premium on pants?

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gravitas
Long socks with sneakers, mostly done by people 30+ "who don't give a fack."

Both my grandfathers did this....And they were pretty badass.

Shraka

Reaction score
Originally Posted by YoungM
I'm sorry, but I find this crazy. Do you outlaw all distressing, because some people are stuck with distressing that they don't want? or outlaw all workwear styling, because some people hate workwear, but have to wear it? Using that logic, I'd be amazed what you're OK with.

I... I don't think you understood what he wrote at all.

Originally Posted by ryoneo
Both my grandfathers did this....And they were pretty badass.
I think it's okay for older people to wear comfy shoes. A lot of them have joint problems, and don't need to be wearing non supportive, uncomfortable footwear on top of that.

Fortysomething

Reaction score
Originally Posted by YoungM

Okay, okay. Personally, I wouldn't outlaw much of anything. I'm just saying that spending a lot of money on heavily distressed (particulary "patched" holes and rips in clothes) is a little over the top.

In the movie Trading Places when Jamie Lee Curtis' character finds Dan Akroyd's character and he tries to explain who he really is and she finally takes his hand and looks at it and says something to the effect of "these hands have never worked a day in your life".....Take that kind of person (him, not her) in the jeans that I am talking about and that exemplifies the thought.

...and no, I don't only wear shorts
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads