• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's hear about your black Friday buys...

Avocat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
peace of mind from staying away from the crowds.
lol8[1].gif
Well, uh, you should come up past the 49th then, to avoid that, as we don't have "Black Friday" up here, but better hurry though .... many retailers, in an effort to stem the cross-border shopping tide this year, decided to offer it, and apparently more intend on doing so next year, etc. with a view to having everyone do their Holiday shopping up here. (Yes, the "ho, ho, ho" ads, etc. are already starting, too
tongue.gif
Ah, that said, my spouse partook in the frenzy from the comfort of our home via the online shopping method (many if not most of the better retailers in the US make it so very easy for CDNs, etc. to shop online, thus partaking in this fine shopping period, though I'm not sure how the wallet feels about it
wink.gif
I guess it's all okay since something for me was most likely included in the spree, but guess I'll have to wait and see what it is when the time comes. As for all the above buys, sounds like everyone enjoyed some great buys, deals and steals all around, and thanks for sharing.

franz_sanchez

Reaction score
I went to Macy's and got a CK Calvin Klein dress shirt for $30 that was originally $80. I also got 3 Polo Stanton Sport Shirts that were originally $89.50 and had been reduced to $10. I was able to get 2 Large shirts and 1 extra large. I guess some older shirts had been mixed in with newer shirts that were only marked down to $50. I used the 15% bonus coupon they had. I was able to get each shirt for about $8.50. I thought I would keep one and sell the others on ebay.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RangerP
Definitely would have paid $150...

Seems like we almost have the same sizes...Shoes and Jackets anyways...

Damn. I gave the blazer to a buddy of mine. Knew I should have flipped it.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Avocat
lol8[1].gif

Well, uh, you should come up past the 49th then, to avoid that, as we don't have "Black Friday" up here, but better hurry though .... many retailers, in an effort to stem the cross-border shopping tide this year, decided to offer it, and apparently more intend on doing so next year, etc. with a view to having everyone do their Holiday shopping up here. (Yes, the "ho, ho, ho" ads, etc. are already starting, too
tongue.gif

Ah, that said, my spouse partook in the frenzy from the comfort of our home via the online shopping method (many if not most of the better retailers in the US make it so very easy for CDNs, etc. to shop online, thus partaking in this fine shopping period, though I'm not sure how the wallet feels about it
wink.gif

I guess it's all okay since something for me was most likely included in the spree, but guess I'll have to wait and see what it is when the time comes.

As for all the above buys, sounds like everyone enjoyed some great buys, deals and steals all around, and thanks for sharing.

Black Friday in Canada.....interesting.

However, no CDN retailer will be able to compete on price with their US counterparts, so I'm not sure what the thought behind this would be. Sounds like a losing proposition for American consumers........

Avocat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Viral
Black Friday in Canada.....interesting. However, no CDN retailer will be able to compete on price with their US counterparts, so I'm not sure what the thought behind this would be. Sounds like a losing proposition for American consumers........
Not sure what you're talking about, unless it's the US dollar (back where it should be vis-a-vis the CDN dollar, as in, par, and where it's been historically). Canadian prices--thank goodness, and finally-- are down, and about time. Then, it's all the same stuff, and retailers are catching on that CDNs shop online and have been for eons; isn't competition good? And yes, I thank US retailers for that, and not just our dollar—i.e., b/c CDNs easily cross the border to shop (our retailers here are starting to "get it" in turn, I think.) As to a bad deal for Americans, don't follow: unlike Americans, we pay sales taxes on our online purchases, which you guys don't; plus, you get your taxes back on filing forms if shopping over the border (for us, our allowable exemptions are less). As such, it's actually us who have the "losing proposition", me thinks, but don't forget we have our health care ... Seriously though, it all depends on where you're shopping at and for, but if you haven't been to the outlets here, or aren't aware of the fact that they exist, like for e.g. Holt's at Vaughan Mills, then you might be missing out. (Note: Armani, etc. at 90% off, in case you're interested, or so my staff report, but you have to physically go to the place and sort which they're happy to do.) As far as I'm concerned, the more competition there is, the better--i.e., a win-win for all consumers in North America, and what it's all about. EDIT: just adding an example. Let's take a Nikon D700 (FX DSLR). At B&H, it's currently on sale for $2350 USD. Now, let's look at that same camera in Canada, which is actually ONLY $2165 at Alden Camera. So, as you can see, prices are not only competitive, but actually better in Canada on many items. But like all things, it depends (and thus pays to shop around). tl/DR: CDN prices are falling, and increasingly competitive to US prices. Retailers are "fighting back" to stem the tide of CDNs cross-border shopping and/or shopping online, stock is stock and costs CDN and US retailers pretty much the same--i.e., US-CDN dollar parity (except on some goods, like made in China which attract much higher duties to import into Canada than the US for reasons which are beyond the scope of this thread). It thus pays to comparison shop.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Avocat
Not sure what you're talking about, unless it's the US dollar (back where it should be vis-a-vis the CDN dollar, as in, par, and where it's been historically). Canadian prices--thank goodness, and finally-- are down, and about time. Then, it's all the same stuff, and retailers are catching on that CDNs shop online and have been for eons; isn't competition good? And yes, I thank US retailers for that, and not just our dollar"”i.e., b/c CDNs easily cross the border to shop (our retailers here are starting to "get it" in turn, I think.)

As to a bad deal for Americans, don't follow: unlike Americans, we pay sales taxes on our online purchases, which you guys don't; plus, you get your taxes back on filing forms if shopping over the border (for us, our allowable exemptions are less). As such, it's actually us who have the "losing proposition", me thinks, but don't forget we have our health care ...

Seriously though, it all depends on where you're shopping at and for, but if you haven't been to the outlets here, or aren't aware of the fact that they exist, like for e.g. Holt's at Vaughan Mills, then you might be missing out. (Note: Armani, etc. at 90% off, in case you're interested, or so my staff report, but you have to physically go to the place and sort which they're happy to do.) As far as I'm concerned, the more competition there is, the better--i.e., a win-win for all consumers in North America, and what it's all about.

EDIT: just adding an example. Let's take a Nikon D700 (FX DSLR). At B&H, it's currently on sale for $2350 USD. Now, let's look at that same camera in Canada, which is actually ONLY $2165 at Alden Camera. So, as you can see, prices are not only competitive, but actually better in Canada on many items. But like all things, it depends (and thus pays to shop around).

tl/DR: CDN prices are falling, and increasingly competitive to US prices. Retailers are "fighting back" to stem the tide of CDNs cross-border shopping and/or shopping online, stock is stock and costs CDN and US retailers pretty much the same--i.e., US-CDN dollar parity (except on some goods, like made in China which attract much higher duties to import into Canada than the US for reasons which are beyond the scope of this thread). It thus pays to comparison shop.

I'm from Toronto, born and raised, and have a good feel for how far the CDN $ goes. For me personally, the 13% tax itself is a deal-breaker.

The example you gave might be one of the few items priced cheaper in Canada, but not realistic as B&H is rarely the cheapest on the things they sell.

Keeping it apples-to-apples, let's stick to clothing (since we're on a clothing forum). Harry Rosen's lowest sale price (even on extreme clearance) is still about 25-40% more than what the same item can be had for in the US. Even stores like Banana Republic which sell the exact same items cannot compete with US pricing...........it is what it is
plain.gif

I know things have gotten better for Canadian shoppers in the last 3 years, and I'm glad the CDN $ is strong, however there is a looooong way to go before US consumers shop in Canada to get better deals.

Restart

Reaction score
On Wednesday I got 4 merino V-neck sweater from BR. 35 each tax in. BTW this is Canada

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Picked these up for $108 at the Mansion on Friday morning:

those are really nice and at a spectacular price

Avocat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Viral
I'm from Toronto, born and raised, and have a good feel for how far the CDN $ goes. For me personally, the 13% tax itself is a deal-breaker. The example you gave might be one of the few items priced cheaper in Canada, but not realistic as B&H is rarely the cheapest on the things they sell. Keeping it apples-to-apples, let's stick to clothing (since we're on a clothing forum). Harry Rosen's lowest sale price (even on extreme clearance) is still about 25-40% more than what the same item can be had for in the US. Even stores like Banana Republic which sell the exact same items cannot compete with US pricing...........it is what it is
plain.gif
I know things have gotten better for Canadian shoppers in the last 3 years, and I'm glad the CDN $ is strong, however there is a looooong way to go before US consumers shop in Canada to get better deals.

13 percent applies across the board for all Ontarians, whether buy in ON or bring in online (like ie from the US), along with duty on any item you bring into Canada from the US (unless NAFTA exempt), and I don't recommend smuggling. US shoppers in Canada, by contrast, don't pay that tax (they get it refunded if buy in person, and don't pay if shop online...at all). As to camera gear, B&H and Adorama are among the best (as in, approved sellers). For all but accessory items, our stores typically have better pricing on both used and new gear (ours make it up on the little things, like SD cards, though, but can get those on Amazon
wink.gif
. Rosen is over-priced. And his stock is what it is, far less offerings than Holt's, and guess you've never been to the Vaughan Mills Center ... but since we're talking Toronto, ever been to NYC? Manhattan would be the most comparable (since we're talking apples and not oranges; sorry, but Sak's and Barney's can't touch Vaughan Mills outlet; seriously, might want to check it out). That said, I remember Manhattan women running off to the Bronx to pick up this, that, or the other thing and save a couple bucks, but frankly, not worth it to me to save a buck (which they do on account of cheaper rent in the Bronx as compared to Manhattan … but don’t forget to keep the cab waiting if you do, which costs money, too). Fact is, our retailers are fighting back and prices are coming down, and on account of dollar parity (plus the US competition, which I thank them for). It's not about bringing Americans up--though for sure there are bargains, and tons more where that example comes from (hardly going to compare every price on everything on the web, with many prices being available only in store, too, like Vaughan, and all of which bargains they of course are free to enjoy, too--but, rather, it's to keep us from going down there). But if you do go down, don't forget to add your duty and your taxes, which is on everything, no matter what you purchase unless it’s specifically exempt; so that’s 13 percent plus duty unless you don't want to declare? I don't recommend it, for they'll do more than take the item away, imo ... Americans, on the other hand, are from our taxes exempt (but they don’t have health care either, so..). That said, I agree with you that prices here as compared to there were abysmal -- then, a 66-cent dollar (thanks, Quebec) will do that, right? Not true anymore, our pricing being increasingly competitive and in fact on many items better in turn. As with all things, it always depends, and thus pays to comparison shop. Oh, as to how dollars affect retailing, it's called what they pay for stock, a dollar goes further than 66 cents; now, add on to this truism the results that competition has on price ... (supply being greater than demand, means the price goes down in turn). And this is how it all works, and why I so do love competition, and yes, it's good for CDNs and American consumers, too. EDIT: Just thought I'd ask if someone here could tell us -- over charged CDNs and Americans both -- how to get Mexican pricing, like 2 bucks for a CD or something ... oh, wait, that'd be "Black Friday" deals, right? (or the Walmart bin, I suppose
wink.gif
tl/DR: further discussion about the trends towards increasing price competitiveness between the US and Canada, due to the effects of dollar parity and, as if but maybe even more importantly, competition for CDN consumer dollars from US retailers, resulting in CDN retailers reducing prices in turn.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a ton of hard drives (22TB combined---4 years of continuous Appreciation in HD) and Superbad on DVD for $4.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Edit: The hard drives were sold.

Avocat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kuro
those are really nice and at a spectacular price
I agree, and really like the toe! Wear them in good health, Edmorel
smile.gif
*sigh* gotta admit, Viral: the shoe selection at Vaughan Holt's is by contrast rather slim pickings by comparison every time I've went anyway -- so Black Friday, while kinda neat to have now in Canada (first time this year, as noted) does of course have a way to go (Americans have it perfected, I think
tongue.gif

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Picked these up for $108 at the Mansion on Friday morning:

022-1.jpg

Ed - I will buy em' back. How doe's $199 sound? I will even find someone to send it as a personal payment. Deal?...

narcissism

Reaction score
I think Saks Fifth Avenue had the best deals as far as department stores go.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads