1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Let's crank out 100,000 pullups this year

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by TeeKay, Mar 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

I honestly wouldn't recommend the lat pulldown since it's a slightly different movement than actual pullups. Have you ever tried weighted pullups? They make bodyweight ones seem super easy.

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I didn't say that it trains your back and arms. If you read my post, I specifically said that it engages the core. Also, doing high capacity trains muscle endurance. It's no use looking great if you gas in a minute.

It's good that you keep an open mind. I suppose that you are going to say that endurance is pretty useless too.

3. LA Guy

GSP apparently does something like 20 pullups with 125 lbs strapped, and he is possibly the most explosive wrestler in MMA today (well, he's injured right now, but that is besides the point.) After his loss to Matt Hughes, who is an absolute beast (and who, btw, does tons of muscle endurance exercises, high reps), he started with a new strength and conditioning coach. At that point, although naturally very athletic, he said that he could essentially do 10-12 BW pullups. Apparently, he started by doing 2-3 weighted pullups, and then switching to BW pullups, and kept on building up is weighted pullups, by number, then by weight, and really gained strength this way. I have not tested this program, so take this with a grain of salt.

4. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

480+62=542

5. noirwest

noirwest Senior member

6. mhpragematter

mhpragematter Well-Known Member

7. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

+50

Taking a break from them tomorrow. Woooweee my arms are tired. I've been doing a week and a half of 50 pullups/day 5x/week and can already notice a huge difference. I'm pretty excited to see what my BW max is at the end of a month of this.

8. LA Guy

I never do this anymore, it's disheartening. I'm pretty much maxed out at 15. Used to be 20, but I've gotten both older and fatter, and apparently, old man strength doesn't kick in at 37. I may try that GSP style buildup, and hopefully not get injured on the way (I had to stop weighted dips as well, because they really aggravated my joints.) There is an old ex-Marine sergeant at my gym, 67, who doesn't do anything intense, but the man can crank out sets of 20 BW pullups. At 67. Makes me feel weak and pathetic, but also a little inspired. His credo is "gotta keep consistent" which I do, but apparently, not as much as he. And the guy does cardio, lots of pushups and lunges, essentially what he says is an easier version of what he did in the marines, 3 times a week, week in, week out. Shape he is in at 67, something's working for him.

9. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Damn. I want to be cranking out 20 pullups when I'm 67.

Did a couple of sets last night after my front squats, press, bench, and kettlebell swing workouts.

+26 = 675

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  10. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

11. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Senior member

thanks...sounds like an interesting method for sure. I've done weighted before, but even adding a 10-15 pounds makes it signifcantly harder. I'll go for whatever weight makes 3-5 reps pretty tough and take it from there.

12. LA Guy

+62 (to 690) = 752

Crap. I saw that someone else had 62 as well. I meant to go above the top poster. Meh. Tomorrow, I probably will get in 50. I guess that I'll take a shot at 70 on Monday.

13. LA Guy

He is 67, but still.

14. whiteslashasian

Hah, good catch.

15. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

+ 50 = 802

16. LA Guy

802+52 (yesterday, today is a rest day) = 854.

17. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Nice, good work. Last night did 25(was feeling a bit tired) = 879. Taking the day off from pullups today.

18. LA Guy

879 +52 (yesterday) and +51 (today) = 982

You kids are murdering me. Today, I could only manage 2 sets of 10, and then had to do the rest in sets of 5-7

I need to take a break tomorrow. Probably will do 30 (3x10), Thursday is my rest day, so there will be none then. I've started on the erg (my gym got one, at long last.) For anyone who hasn't used it properly, it's probably one of the toughest full body exercise that I know, done right. Everything get engaged, and if you do sprints, the power you exert is really high. This on top of my usual workout is making doing a ton of pullups tough.

I think that I can output 200 a week, but I'm not sure that 250+ is sustainable for me anymore. Sad, I know.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  19. whiteslashasian

Unless a WOD calls for the erg to be used with pullups, I usually will do it on days I'm not doing a lot of pulling exercises. I love a good erg workout at the end of a gym session; 2000 m with each 500m sprint in a negative split is my preferred.

I always laugh when I see idiots on the erg. Using 1/4 of the power and distance they should be pulling, all arms, etc. They should observe people who know what they're doing or pull up a youtube vid on their phone if they're unsure.

Goal is 50 pullups today during my lunch workout. Will report back.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  20. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Erg is intense...I still have yet to fully integrate it into my workout.

Decided to take the entire day off of lifting today. I think I'm teetering on overtraining, so thought I'd give it a rest. Tomorrow I'll crank out 50 pullups with weight to punish today's sloth, though. :devil:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.