• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's crank out 100,000 pullups this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do just short of deadhangs, for the most part. A full deadhang hurts my elbows, and I already have to wear sleeves anyway. To many years of abuse, fight training, and age (I'm 37, and getting armbarred on a semi-daily basis during my 20s and power punches will do that) wear down the body.

Any, 39 for each of Sunday, Monday, and yesterday. So... +117 = 450.

BTW, kipping pullups are no joke. The upper core gets engaged, a lot. They look funny, but just trust me. I thought it was a cheat, and it sort of is, but you do 15 per set, and get up to 60, and it's like "woah" the next day. That said, crossfit is really a generalist interpretation of fight conditioning, but for "regular" people. Look like "Sean Sherk workout" on youtube, if you really want to see people go nuts. I've done Sherk's circuit, and it will kick your ass.

Last edited:

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I do just short of deadhangs, for the most part. A full deadhang hurts my elbows, and I already have to wear sleeves anyway. To many years of abuse, fight training, and age (I'm 37, and getting armbarred on a semi-daily basis during my 20s and power punches will do that) wear down the body.
Any, 39 for each of Sunday, Monday, and yesterday. So... +117 = 450.
BTW, kipping pullups are no joke. The upper core gets engaged, a lot. They look funny, but just trust me. I thought it was a cheat, and it sort of is, but you do 15 per set, and get up to 60, and it's like "woah" the next day.

Right, because feeling "whoa" the next day is the sign of an effective workout.

If your goal is to effectively train your back/arms, then kipping pullups are a joke, and not dissimilar to using elastic energy in your achilles tendon to bounce through a set of calf raises. If your goal is to do a high capacity of work for the sake doing a lot of work, then have fun with that.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If your goal is to effectively train your back/arms, then kipping pullups are a joke, and not dissimilar to using elastic energy in your achilles tendon to bounce through a set of calf raises. If your goal is to do a high capacity of work for the sake doing a lot of work, then have fun with that.

Kipping pullups involve your core like you would not believe. It's more of an "overall" and intense workout than normal deadhangs. Great for burning calories and overall strengthening, but it doesn't effectively train your back and arms nearly as much as a dead hang.

Ideally, depending on the workout day, you would alternate between using the two.

Last edited:

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Kipping pullups involve your core like you would not believe. It's more of an "overall" and intense workout than normal deadhangs. Great for burning calories and overall strengthening, but it doesn't effectively train your back and arms nearly as much as a dead hang.

I don't do pullups in an attempt to engage my core or burn calories.

You know what's even better for gaining strength? Not training in a 20+ rep range.

mr chorizo

Reaction score
+30

Question, I feel like i've plateaued in this exercised. I'm on the long side (6'3.5, 180lbs) and I max out at around 12 reps at decent form. I've been here for a while, and want to get the point where i can hit 20 in one set.

any tips? should i be training on a lat pulldown bar in sets of 6-8 reps at heavier weight to build up more strength?

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+30
Question, I feel like i've plateaued in this exercised. I'm on the long side (6'3.5, 180lbs) and I max out at around 12 reps at decent form. I've been here for a while, and want to get the point where i can hit 20 in one set.
any tips? should i be training on a lat pulldown bar in sets of 6-8 reps at heavier weight to build up more strength?

I honestly wouldn't recommend the lat pulldown since it's a slightly different movement than actual pullups. Have you ever tried weighted pullups? They make bodyweight ones seem super easy.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I didn't say that it trains your back and arms. If you read my post, I specifically said that it engages the core. Also, doing high capacity trains muscle endurance. It's no use looking great if you gas in a minute.

I don't do pullups in an attempt to engage my core or burn calories.
You know what's even better for gaining strength? Not training in a 20+ rep range.

It's good that you keep an open mind. I suppose that you are going to say that endurance is pretty useless too.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

+30

GSP apparently does something like 20 pullups with 125 lbs strapped, and he is possibly the most explosive wrestler in MMA today (well, he's injured right now, but that is besides the point.) After his loss to Matt Hughes, who is an absolute beast (and who, btw, does tons of muscle endurance exercises, high reps), he started with a new strength and conditioning coach. At that point, although naturally very athletic, he said that he could essentially do 10-12 BW pullups. Apparently, he started by doing 2-3 weighted pullups, and then switching to BW pullups, and kept on building up is weighted pullups, by number, then by weight, and really gained strength this way. I have not tested this program, so take this with a grain of salt.

tesseract

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+30

480+62=542

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+ 33 = 599

+50

Taking a break from them tomorrow. Woooweee my arms are tired. I've been doing a week and a half of 50 pullups/day 5x/week and can already notice a huge difference. I'm pretty excited to see what my BW max is at the end of a month of this.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

+50
Taking a break from them tomorrow. Woooweee my arms are tired. I've been doing a week and a half of 50 pullups/day 5x/week and can already notice a huge difference. I'm pretty excited to see what my BW max is at the end of a month of this.

I never do this anymore, it's disheartening. I'm pretty much maxed out at 15. Used to be 20, but I've gotten both older and fatter, and apparently, old man strength doesn't kick in at 37. I may try that GSP style buildup, and hopefully not get injured on the way (I had to stop weighted dips as well, because they really aggravated my joints.) There is an old ex-Marine sergeant at my gym, 67, who doesn't do anything intense, but the man can crank out sets of 20 BW pullups. At 67. Makes me feel weak and pathetic, but also a little inspired. His credo is "gotta keep consistent" which I do, but apparently, not as much as he. And the guy does cardio, lots of pushups and lunges, essentially what he says is an easier version of what he did in the marines, 3 times a week, week in, week out. Shape he is in at 67, something's working for him.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn. I want to be cranking out 20 pullups when I'm 67.

Did a couple of sets last night after my front squats, press, bench, and kettlebell swing workouts.

+26 = 675

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads