• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's compare our countries

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In France most popular, famous brands, brands EVERYBODY (the biggest part of people) will quote as among the best, are : (for men) Armani Cerruti Boss Versace Kenzo (for shoes also..&#33
wink.gif
Weston Cardin Nothing about : Keaton, Oxxford, Barbera... (I discovered here) Green, Grenson (discovered here) Aubercy (discovered on the web) H&K, H&H (discovered in London) Charvet (I realize how nice this brand was buy reading here&#33
wink.gif
Arny's (discovered on the web) And what are the most popular brands in your country?

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Armani, Gucci, Prada, and Versace. 90% of the population knows nothing beyond these brands in terms of high-fashion or fine tailoring.

Sadly some people think that Kenneth Cole is the height of fashion and a "designer" label.

rsp1

Reaction score
As a 25 year old American (pointed out purely for demographic reasons), before I moved to NYC, the brand names I targeted were Kenneth Cole, DKNY and Banana Republic. Huge Boss, Prada, Thomas Pink and Armani were labels we (my friends and I) aspired to. Fortunately, it didn't take long to come to my senses.

To this day, most of the people I work with would prefer a Thomas Pink shirt to a H&K one (if given the option as a gift) because Thomas Pink .... is ..... just .... so .... cool (and H&K has no marketing).

marc37

Reaction score
l attend alot of Australian fashion shows; sadly all the clothing is very ordinary quality. People rave about Wayne Cooper, Pierre Cardin (a disgrace), Gwyndoline, Boss, Studio italia, Roy, versace, armani, mooks etc. The fashion crowd wouldn't know quality it it slapped them upside of the head. They are a tryhard pathetic group of people: very ego-tistical. People rave about Cardin suits but they are so poorly fitting. Very few people know what Borrelli or Brioni is. Collette Dinagin is our top designer, she is brilliant and world class. SHOES Florsheim, Rivers, Windsor Smith, Lloyds and Aquila are the most popular dress shoes (all glued soled shoes that last 5 minutes). Loake is reserved for lawyers. Not many have Loake; it's one of the best shoes you will see on aussie footpaths. (The best shoes l have seen on aussie footpaths are my own). Our top shoes are: artioli, C&J, church's, Grenson regular, borrelli, santoni, stefano Bi, and handmade shoes. We also have magli, moreshci and aldo brue. (l hardly ever see these shoes on the street). R.M.Williams is becoming really popular.

Styleman

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
London (most popular for young men these days):

G&H
Dior Homme
Gucci
Duffer
Versace
Pink
Hacket
Moschino
D&G

Middle Age:

Zegna
Armani
Boss
Fendi
Brioni
H&H

Old (50+):

G&H
Versace
Hermes

Shoes:

Young:

Prada Sport
Cesare Paciotti
Gucci
Camper
Birkenstocks
Dior Homme
Puma

Middle Aged:

Gucci
Cesare Paciotti
Salvatore Ferragamo
Rocco P.
Sergio Rossi
Oliver Sweeny
Tim Little
Russel and Bromley

Old :

Lobb
Berluti
Crockett and Jones
Barker
Royal Windsor Grenson
Cleverly
New and Lingwood
Church's

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There isn't much in the way of style in Korea that no one else has done better, honestly.

I mean, you have the domestic companies turning out some nice suits and all, but they run towards the sack side of the spectrum.

As for casual wear, think your basic Asian street-pop stuff, but more conservative: we don't get the micro-minis here like Japan does.

And shoes? Let's not get into those. The vast majority of people here don't care for shoe horns, instead ruining the backs of their shoes by repeated squashing and stomping on them.

In other words, it's just like any other country, I guess.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There isn't much in the way of style in Korea that no one else has done better, honestly.

I mean, you have the domestic companies turning out some nice suits and all, but they run towards the sack side of the spectrum.

As for casual wear, think your basic Asian street-pop stuff, but more conservative: we don't get the micro-minis here like Japan does.

And shoes? Let's not get into those. The vast majority of people here don't care for shoe horns, instead ruining the backs of their shoes by repeated squashing and stomping on them.

In other words, it's just like any other country, I guess.
You did a good job in Athena.....

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Come on guys.... What people like in your country?
confused.gif

Brian SD

Reaction score
I'm a college student, so I'm mostly talking about college students here. I have no idea what fashion is like in the business / professional field.

Guys like:

Lacoste
Seven for All Mankind
Von Dutch
Abercrombie & Fitch
FCUK
Kenneth Cole

Shoes:
Diesel
Diesel
Diesel
Diesel
Kenneth Cole
Diesel

Macciavelli

Reaction score
Germany:

In the small towns and the countryside the quality of clothing is not very elegant or fashionable.

In bigger cities like Hamburg, Berlin, Munich, Frankfurt a. M. most of the people tend to dress very elegant regarding to their family background and the regional influences (you might find a Janker in Munich very often (sometimes as part of a dress for a formal occassion), in Hamburg you will find the single brested or Navy blazer as a dress for nearly every occassion (with cinos, flannels, jeans etc.)

The shoes or often of bad quality and not many men wear goodyear welted shoes. The average german men wear LLoyds shoes and BOSS suits for business.

People in Hamburg (businessmen) tend to give more attention to their shoes. I often see John Lobbs, C & J, van Bommel, Santoni, Hermes etc. on their feet.

Sadly I have to say that in most areas Germany is a country which could be more elegant, more fahionable...

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Germany:

In the small towns and the countryside the quality of clothing is not very elegant or fashionable.

In bigger cities like Hamburg, Berlin, Munich, Frankfurt a. M. most of the people tend to dress very elegant regarding to their family background and the regional influences (you might find a Janker in Munich very often (sometimes as part of a dress for a formal occassion), in Hamburg you will find the single brested or Navy blazer as a dress for nearly every occassion (with cinos, flannels, jeans etc.)

The shoes or often of bad quality and not many men wear goodyear welted shoes. The average german men wear LLoyds shoes and BOSS suits for business.

People in Hamburg (businessmen) tend to give more attention to their shoes. I often see John Lobbs, C & J, van Bommel, Santoni, Hermes etc. on their feet.

Sadly I have to say that in most areas Germany is a country which could be more elegant, more fahionable...
In France, German have reputation to dress like peasants.

And it is true that german tourists are easy to reconize in Paris =
sandals with socks (often white cheap for sport),
t shirts with no sleeves or flower/ou of fashion shirts with no sleeves
bermuda shorts

But german garments seem to be very strong.

You best brands seem to be Adidas and Puma.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In France, German have reputation to dress like peasants.

And it is true that german tourists are easy to reconize in Paris =
sandals with socks (often white cheap for sport),
t shirts with no sleeves or flower/ou of fashion shirts with no sleeves
bermuda shorts

But german garments seem to be very strong.

You best brands seem to be Adidas and Puma.
Don't forgot Hugo Boss.

Jil Sander while of German origin is linked more with Italy. Especially with Prada's acquisition. There is also Strenesse.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In France, German have reputation to dress like peasants. And it is true that german tourists are easy to reconize in Paris = sandals with socks (often white cheap for sport), t shirts with no sleeves or flower/ou of fashion shirts with no sleeves bermuda shorts But german garments seem to be very strong. You best brands seem to be Adidas and Puma.
Don't forgot Hugo Boss. Jil Sander while of German origin is linked more with Italy. Especially with Prada's acquisition. There is also Strenesse.
These brands are unknown in France. Boss is a trap for poor teenagers dreaming to dress like guy from upper classes. Puma or Adidas are references. Not Boss.

rws

Reaction score
Germany:
. . .
Whatever we might think of German militarism from a political or humane standpoint, the influence of German uniforms on other lands from early in the nineteenth century has been strong, and not only on the military uniforms of foreign nations (my own country, the United States, still uses dress and undress uniforms originally inspired by German models). And the comfortable middle classes a century ago, whether in Berlin or other cities or even in the countryside, displayed a care and balance in their dress that were equal to what one would have seen in England or America.

Germans clearly have as much innate sartorial sense as any other nation. Perhaps it will in future be more thoughtfully applied.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads