1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Let's compare our countries

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ernest, Sep 1, 2004.

1. ernest

ernest Senior member

Let 's make an experience :

1) How many suits/tie/shirts/shoe have you got?
    22/66/50

2) How many are Italian brands?
    0/8/0/0

3) How manys are french brands?
    20/58/6/4

4) how many are German brands ?
    1/0/0/0

5) how many are UK brands ?
    1/2/32/3

5) Where are they made?
    Italy/Italy/UK/UK&France

2. november

november Well-Known Member

canada:

I have lived in the very different cities in Canada, Calgary and Montreal.
    In Calgary, which is the oil & gas capital, it was not shocking to see people wear cowboy boots.
    the main look was the (north) american jackass complete with
    big cheap shoes, boot cut jeans, stiped shirts and the requisite leather jacket. For young people, brands were paramount : mostly Diesel, Seven ) there are a lot of guys wearing them there) , did I say Diesel? people liked FCUK as well. Older ones would be into Hugo Boss.

The vast majority of guys had no idea how to dress and didn't seem to care at all.

Montreal is much more stylish but I do sense an obsession with flashiness that doens't sit well with me. the montreal style would be a mix of NYc's street style and Paris trends, at times, it can turn into a caricature....

Overall, people tend to pay much more attention to what they wear. When I was in college there, my campus was more of a fashion show showcasing the latest overpriced jean company than anything else. Montreal is usually the point of entry of any few fad from Von Dutch to Puma sneakers in Canada. I'd say a certain segment of the youth tries to emulate what is deeemed cool in Europe.

Some brands are not available in Canada and it makes them more popular like Abercrombie & Fitch, Armani Exchange.
    For instance, ther are no Kenneth Cole and Banada Republic stores in Quebec as htere are local versions doing a similar job.

there are some local designers doing interesting stuff but I think at outrageous prices such as Dubuc who does his show in Paris. J Lindberg seems to be everywhere.........

Toronto has the reputation of having more conservative dressers than Montreal. I must admit when I go there, I don't see many well-dressed people.

3. @riss

@riss Senior member

I'm somewhat lost here... But I can attest that I lived in France for a year and Jil Sander was very popular with the Colette crowd.

4. @riss

@riss Senior member

Looking at your post again, I'm lost because a) the math doesn't seem to work (a column seems to appear and disappear in different categories) and b) it isn't surprising that the majority of your clothes are french when you're french.

5. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Hmm a quick survey finds my collection of suits is roughly equally broken down between English (RLPL), Italian (Brioni, Belvest), and American makers (Oxxford). Is it necessary to have 22 suits while unemployed?

6. Giona Granata

Giona Granata Senior member

So, while you are unemployed, you go naked. [​IMG] Of course I have italian suits, english shoes and socks, american jeans. Yes, a Brooks Brothers shop opened last year, but I found that shirt are made in malesya and property is now italian. Of course here everyone is dressing italian, I'm in Milano. Will someone open an Oxxford shop here, and will somebody buy from them? I buy a bespoke suit from my local tailor at 700€.