1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Let's compare our countries

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ernest, Sep 1, 2004.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

to which ernest replied:

Unknown to you, perhaps, but that doesn't mean that they are uninfluential or unknown by the more knowledgeable people, Frenchmen and woemn included. Jil Sander is internationally recognized as one of the foremost designers of the 90's.

2. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

The French influence is better felt through luxury luggage, and leathergoods. And obviously couture.

In R-T-W their spotlight was during the 80's with Claude Montana, and Thierry Mugler. Both of which are financially impotent at this point.

And France has their respective share of fine tailoring houses.

Goldpfeil is a very fine leather goods maker. Germnay especially Berlin has a reputation as a center for contemporary art.

3. ernest

ernest Senior member

Jil Sander... Strenesse.
    to which ernest replied:
    Unknown to you, perhaps, but that doesn't mean that they are uninfluential or unknown by the more knowledgeable people, Frenchmen and woemn included. Â Jil Sander is internationally recognized as one of the foremost designers of the 90's.
    Do you think seriously there is so much people more knowledgeable people than me on clothes? Stop dreaming. My girlfriend loved Jil Sander a few years ago but said it is for women and do not know what they do currently... This is NOT Dior. I ask you a question, please reply. Give me just 3 world famous names. Just 3.... As Famous as Dior, Vuitton, Armani, Burberry....... I never said german has no clothes...just they have no sens of style like french, english or italians and that's why they have no so much famous, trendy brands

4. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

LA Guy, what has changed since Jil Sander was bought by Prada, and any idea where I can check out some of her original designs? I'm a big fan of Jil Sander's lines from two years ago up until about now, but I had no knowledge of high fashion before and am curious to see her older designs. What year did Prada buy JS, and is Jil still doing designs even under Prada's ownership?

Edit: Answered my first question by going to firstview. still curious about when Prada bought JS, and if Jil is still doing the designs.

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Jil Sander had a spat with Patrzio Bertelli over that Bertelli has a penchant for using cheap materials which Ms.Sander would not stand. That was about 2 years ago. In the meanwhile it was taken by Milan Vukmirovic who used to be of Colette Paris as a buyer. He is now some sort of editor.

So she left the company but returned over a new contract last year or so. Presumably the line still has its luxe materials. And their high prices.

Prada bought Jil Sander in 2000 if I recall. When the luxury conglomerates had acquisition binges. Prada has a bad business model unlike LVMH.

6. LA Guy

Seriously, Jil Sander is *very* famous, and not just in Germany. In England, her gear is everywhere. And no, Germany does not have the reputation for style that France, England, and Italy do, but that does not mean that these things don't change very rapidly. For example, until the 60's, Italy was considered subpar to France, but in the last 30 years or so, French fashion has fallen in stature compared to Italian due to the very clever "Made in Italy" marketing ploy. And if you really want to talk about "well known" brands, i.e.e well known not just by the cognescenti, you really can't disregard Hugo Boss. I was just thinking of the brands that are recognized by the fashion literate as good brands.

7. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Germany also has MCM a well known leather goods manufacturer that was quite popular in the 70's.

They still exist, and are well-liked in Korea I believe.

8. LA Guy

On the *trendy* side: Strellson, Signum. More will occur to me soon, I'm sure.

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

And Escada which is very famous. Designed by Margetha Ley.

Karl Lagerfeld is German as well.

10. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Life lesson - there is ALWAYS somebody who knows more than you [​IMG]

11. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

Isn't Helmut Lang German?

12. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

Austrian, I think.

13. Zubberah

Zubberah Senior member

In terms of streetwear, the Aussies are infatuated with Von Dutch, Tsubi, Roy, sass&bide, Bonds, lee, levis, pdc, wheels & doll baby, and morrissey, escially around trendy Paddington. As well as all that graffiti print crap on various t-shirt brands.
    In corporate wear - women country road, men hugo boss and louis feraud (both are sold everywhere). In Sydney, Brioni is well known for the over 50s but seen as too "old-fashioned". Sydney is more an Armani and Zegna market for men.

14. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Regent, Dinkelacker, Goldpfeil

15. LA Guy

Damn, dropped the ball on those. BTW, I've seen Karl Lagerfeld suits in Germany, nowhere else. They seem to be of pretty reasonable quality. Does anyone know whether these are licensed products, or does Karl just do his own thing under the radar?

16. Macciavelli

Macciavelli Member

As I know these are almost licensed products.

17. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Lagerfeld has his own brand, Lagerfeld Gallery which I believe is based in Italy. Or France.

Germany also has the rather well known Joop. by Wolfgang Joop label.

18. marc237

marc237 Senior member

Do you think seriously there is so much people more knowledgeable people than me on clothes?
    Life lesson - there is ALWAYS somebody who knows more than you  [​IMG]
    For some of us, that club is not exclusive and seems to be growing every day. Indeed, if you want to be surrounded by people who have no doubt that they know more than you on just about every subject, just have teenage children.

19. ernest

ernest Senior member

Give me just 3 names, one for suit, one for shoes and one for leather goods.
    Regent, Dinkelacker, Goldpfeil
    Who knows these brands? Almost nobody.

20. ernest

ernest Senior member

KL started became famous by working in Paris not in Germany...

We are talking about clothes culture, experiences & love of style by people in a country not about nationality.

KL works in Paris and make produce his products in Italy or France. He has nothing to deal with with germany.

And even if he was considered as german, what is KL against Armani, Cerruti, Chanel or DIor?

ONE MORE TIME i have not said german has NO brands at all but just their brands were not very famous, were not the best ones in any type of garments.

95 millions germans have 10 times less world famous brands than 58 m of italians, although they are more wealthy than Italians.