1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Let's abolish religion!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by likeitaloud, Dec 25, 2008.

1. TheGreek

TheGreek Senior member

At the time that the Scandinavian people were barbarians, the rest of the world was too. They also had a complex system of polytheism, just like the Greeks and Romans. If you actually think that the Greeks and Romans valued human life, then you are beyond retarded. You may actually be the most stupid, misguided person on this forum, and that is saying something. First you don't know that Norse mythology existed just like Greek mythology, then you imply that as a result of this complex set of fairy tales, that they were more englightened?

I'm talking about religion today. Scandinavian countries represent some of the most peaceful nations on earth, and a great deal of their population lack any sort of religion. Meanwhile, countries with plenty of religion, including the united states, are decidedly warlike.

None of your arguments demonstrated even a grade 2 knowledge of history or the reading comprehension or critical thinking skills of even a caveman. You are a failure of our education system, and are the very reason that people like Sarah Palin exist. You are a plague.

If you are comparing the ancient Romans with ancient Scandanavians, then you are the retarded one. Everything we have today we owe it to the Greco/Romans. Speech, Democracy, Medicine,Law, Christianity, Philosophy, there is just too much too list. The Romans domesticated the world, to them everyone else was a barbarian(war-like, un-hygenic,grunting animals).
    Re-read your history, the fall of the Roman empire started when barbaric peoples started to infiltrate everyday Roman society.
    I originally answered this thread to get a good discussion going, but its turned to mudslinging and name calling. It seems to me, you didnt want a discussion at all, what you wanted was to state what you believe in, and f**k everyone who doesnt think like you. Like I said before, typical.

2. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

Funny, I was thinking about Hitchen's argument that Religion is bad last night and told my wife that even if it were banned, I doubt it would matter. People would just come up with another reason to start wars, kill and hate. It's just human nature.

3. Eason

Eason Senior member

Religion has been almost abolished in America. Our kids are not allowed to Pray in schools, its not called Christmas vacation anymore for fear of offending someone. I say screw em! someone is offended? TOO BAD! get over it, thats life!
    Without religion we might as well bring back the tower of babel, and sodom and gommorah, and live in sheer lawlessness, with pinko/commies running the world.
    Without religion, you leftists out there better start believing in The right to bear arms, because for most people, religion is is only thing keeping them from commiting crimes against other people.

Just think, folks, without religion, people like this wouldn't have a club to join.

4. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

Religion has been almost abolished in America. Our kids are not allowed to Pray in schools, its not called Christmas vacation anymore for fear of offending someone. I say screw em! someone is offended? TOO BAD! get over it, thats life!
    Without religion we might as well bring back the tower of babel, and sodom and gommorah, and live in sheer lawlessness, with pinko/commies running the world.
    Without religion, you leftists out there better start believing in The right to bear arms, because for most people, religion is is only thing keeping them from commiting crimes against other people.

Bill O'Reilly - Is that you?

5. scarphe

scarphe Senior member

If you are comparing the ancient Romans with ancient Scandanavians, then you are the retarded one. Everything we have today we owe it to the Greco/Romans. Speech, Democracy, Medicine,Law, Christianity, Philosophy, there is just too much too list. The Romans domesticated the world, to them everyone else was a barbarian(war-like, un-hygenic,grunting animals).
    Re-read your history, the fall of the Roman empire started when barbaric peoples started to infiltrate everyday Roman society.
    I originally answered this thread to get a good discussion going, but its turned to mudslinging and name calling. It seems to me, you didnt want a discussion at all, what you wanted was to state what you believe in, and f**k everyone who doesnt think like you. Like I said before, typical.

ok for all the supposedly civilized acts the romans and greeks they had barbaric tendencies and acted upon them as well, yes they are basis for the for modern european culture. and using the norsemen is convienient as well around roughly the same time in history the crusades were occurring and they were not pretty both sidec committed barbaric acts, but the muslims in general were the civilized ones compared to the christian invaders.

6. SField

SField Senior member

If you cannot see that Romans were every bit as diabolical as the Norsemen then there is no helping you. They essentially did the same thing that the Vikings did, except over a longer period of time and over a greater amount of territory. Romans spread terror everywhere they went, and were every bit as draconian as the Scandinavians. Kindly remember what Romans did to Christians.

Point is, look at the world now. Religion doesn't need to be part of the equation.

7. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

That's hilarious considering that some of the countries with the best health care systems, schools, infrastructure, and least amount of economic disparity (and crime) are extremely un-religious countries. Consider the Netherlands and the Scandinavian countries. None of what you said is valid.
    What I said isn't valid if (1) these nations comprise the whole world, and (2) their systems have nothing to do with religion historically. But neither is true. I wonder where all the hatred comes from, on both silly sides.

8. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Communism is one of the most beautiful ideological visions; Total equality and complete happiness. It failed miserable in our world today, but ideologically speaking it had some brilliant ideas. Religion is indeed a narcotic of the many, because it clouds reasoning. Communism promoted intelligence and religion does nothing but step away from reasonable thought. The democratic party and liberalism also have freedom in it's roots; is that really so moronic for people to think for themselves instead of blindly following the words of a man in a big hat and a book?
    Oh the irony.
    What I said isn't valid if (1) these nations comprise the whole world, and (2) their systems have nothing to do with religion historically. But neither is true. I wonder where all the hatred comes from, on both silly sides.
    The problem is in assuming that just because A has done B, without A nobody else would have. People do it all the time regarding hospitals, garbage collection, mail delivery etc. There is such a prejudice toward the status quo that people rarely entertain the idea that similar things could have, and likely would have, developed anyway. That isn't to say that the world would, IMO, be better without religion, just that simply stating that without religion (or the government) something would not be available doesn't take into account the whole story. Where the hatred comes from is generally the quest for control over the greatest number of lives, but you don't believe that. [​IMG]

9. redcaimen

redcaimen Senior member

That's hilarious considering that some of the countries with the best health care systems, schools, infrastructure, and least amount of economic disparity (and crime) are extremely un-religious countries. Consider the Netherlands and the Scandinavian countries. None of what you said is valid.

The values and moral assumptions (concern over economic disparity, health concerns, etc.. blah, blah, blah) that post religious europe holds make little sense outside of their historical context. That history being 1000 years (more or less) of Christendom. Emptym clearly addressed this in his post:

In a way, the world, particularly the West, is far less religious than it was. This is true if we measure external aspects of religion such as membership roles and church attendance.

However, in a crucial way, religion is more influential now than it ever was, since it's values have become the unquestioned values of secular society. Human life, love, self-sacrifice, fairness, honesty, service, etc. are viewed as more precious now than they were 100 or 1000 years ago, imo.

but for some reason you either ignored, misunderstood or felt it convenient to leave this part of his argument out.

EDIT: Ooops. While I was composing my opus Emptym responded so ignore the above but pleas take to heart the postscript.

ps Im not pointing this out because you are a little on the tubby side. One of my resolutions is to be more compassionate (one of those vestigal christian virtues) to those with "weight" challenges in their lives. May 2009 be a year of healthy and smart food choices for all of us! [​IMG]

10. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Is this the under 12 y/o version of the already retarded religion threads we had in the CE? Without religion they wouldn't sell those Nuns outfits made of leather at your favourite sex shop, think about that.

11. itsstillmatt

Is this the under 12 y/o version of the already retarded religion threads we had in the CE? Without religion they wouldn't sell those Nuns outfits made of leather at your favourite sex shop, think about that.
    No Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence? [​IMG]

12. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

No Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence?

While I was getting home earlier this morning some nice man stopped his car and asked me if I wanted a ride cause I have nice lips... At least he wasn't wearing that costume.

13. redcaimen

redcaimen Senior member

I see that you went with ramble over pith in your choice of The Greek signature quotes.

ps choose dark green leafy vegetables over processed convenience foods.

14. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

I see that you went with ramble over pith in your choice of The Greek signature quotes.

ps choose dark green leafy vegetables over processed convenience foods.

I have a feeling he's trolling though, look at the grammatical structure of his rant!

ps: I'm gonna make some soup today, I'll make sure to follow your instructions.

15. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

This thread may as well be entitled "Let's reverse gravity."

16. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

...The problem is in assuming that just because A has done B, without A nobody else would have. People do it all the time regarding hospitals, garbage collection, mail delivery etc. There is such a prejudice toward the status quo that people rarely entertain the idea that similar things could have, and likely would have, developed anyway. That isn't to say that the world would, IMO, be better without religion, just that simply stating that without religion (or the government) something would not be available doesn't take into account the whole story.
    You make a good point. I'm not sure that w/o religion there wouldn't have been these things, but I would say that in the world in which we live as it has developed over time, these things came about through religion.

And you're right that plenty of these things are caused by non-religious people and institutions, but given the interdependence of things, I'm not sure how easy it is to separate where religious influence begins and where it ends. For example, believers and nonbelievers like to oppose communism and religion, for different reasons, but the many principles of Communism come from Judeo-Xn values.
    Actually, I'm sure this happens. I just don't think it's the primary cause -- of religion or the hatred for it.

17. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

This thread may as well be entitled "Let's reverse gravity."

Let's party like it's 1999?

18. itsstillmatt

While I was getting home earlier this morning some nice man stopped his car and asked me if I wanted a ride cause I have nice lips... At least he wasn't wearing that costume.
    Is there no SPI chapter in Montreal? For all of their craziness, and there has been a lot, they have done a lot of good for people in the SF gay community, and especially for early sufferers of AIDS. Crazy looking people, though.
    Actually, I'm sure this happens. I just don't think it's the primary cause -- of religion or the hatred for it.
    I don't think it is the primary cause of religion, but I do think it is the primary cause of conflict between the secular left and religion in general.

19. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Is there no SPI chapter in Montreal? For all of their craziness, and there has been a lot, they have done a lot of good for people in the SF gay community, and especially for early sufferers of AIDS. Crazy looking people, though.

No, there are some in Paris though and the name sounds gayer (if that's possible) in french. My "friend" was a bourgeois-looking arabic man, no doubt participating in international terrorism by cruising for BJs in his new car.

20. SField

SField Senior member

Just because things have developed through "religion", (but moreso the power structure thereof - not the actual faith), doesn't mean that we need these things anymore. We have proof that all the social and infrastructural elements you mentioned can exist quite well without fairy tales.