• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lessons learned: Buying on-line MTM

mrod1108

Reaction score
On-line MTM: Lessons learned
If you can wear an off the rack suit without sinking in big bucks then read no further unless you want cool options like pick stitching on your lapels, working sleeve button holes, ticket pockets and so on and so on. If you are planning to take the plunge then read on.
1. Understand exactly what you want your suit to look like, how you want it to fit and what options are important to you.
2. Know your body. No one is perfectly proportioned. The closer to well-proportioned the better. On-line MTM has its limitations and not all on-line MTM companies are created equal. Just about all of them can deliver a nicely fitting suit to a well-proportioned person. Only a few can deliver a nicely fitting suit to someone with uneven shoulders or an unusual posture. For those individuals, I recommend a brick and mortar MTM store because you get measured by someone familiar with that store’s system, in theory they work with tailors who can adjust a pattern to your body. These brick and mortar MTMs have the ability to work with almost any type of body type. The finished suit gets sent to the store where you get a final fitting, if not up to your standards it gets sent back at no additional charge for alterations or remake.
3. Do your research. There are many on-line MTM companies around. Some have been around for years others are new and untested. Important considerations are whether they offer a perfect fit guarantee, what measurements do they ask you for (the more the better), and do they ask you to choose your posture/body type.
4. Prefer on-line MTMs that have pictures of their suits. Notice the “house” style: Is it your taste? What is their FIT GUARANTEE? Not all fit guarantees are the same. What is their remake policy? Who pays shipping? What about alterations credit?
5. Customer galleries are even better. Actual customers in finished suits. I’ve only seen a few customer galleries so you’ll have to dig to find them.
6. Send an email to the MTM’s customer service to see how responsive they are. Ask them a question about your fit preferences. Can they produce a suit for you because you’re 6 foot, seven inches tall and weigh 275 lbs.
7. Understand the limitations of all on-line MTMs and be willing to compromise. I have uneven shoulders and I haven’t yet found any on-line MTM who can produce a jacket without collar gap. If you have unusual body measurements and the company asks for clarification numerous times and take two or more weeks before they even put the suit into production walk away. Get your money back.
8. Have a professional tailor measure you. It’s worth the money. Mine charged me $10.00 then evaluated the finished suit and made recommendations at no extra charge.
9. Understand fit preferences and fit terminology. Slim fit vs. regular fit vs. loose fit. Also, while slim fit is now a universal term, regular fit might mean different things to different companies. If you are not sure what fit to order visit a men’s store that sells different designers and different fit profiles. Try on different designers and different fit styles.
10. If you have a suit that fits reasonably well, take it to a tailor and have them recommend adjustments that will make it a perfectly fitting suit. You’ll try on the suit and they’ll make recommendations on adding or subtracting from various places on the suit. Then have them measure the suit. If the MTM Company you picked has a measuring system for existing suits bring the form to the tailor.
11. Use the notes section to explain preferences, like jacket length and collar width.
12. Go through the order process then go back and proof read. If you made a mistake on options or your measurements you may not be able to get an alterations credit or remake. You can’t expect the company to remake a suit if you indicated loose fit but meant to check off slim fit.
13. Go through the order again once you get the email confirmation.
14. Don’t expect perfection the first time. Worst case scenario: you must get a remake. Best case scenario: you can wear your suit right out of the box. Most likely scenario: you will need to have the suit altered. Waist let out or taken in for example. By the way, until the company gets it right opt for non-working sleeve button holes. Sleeves on working button holes are difficult to alter.
15. Another note on remakes. I am sure there are on-line companies that will eventually get it right for you. But one can go broke shipping back suits to China. Some companies will credit the amount of return shipping to you in the form of store credit. This is a good thing especially if the company makes a fine product and they eventually give you complete satisfaction.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads