• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lesser Fabric - Appropriate for Sports Jacket?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by newtrane
Would the following fabric from lesser be an appropriate choice for a sports jacket?

Many thanks!

http://img216.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc00047rq9.jpg

If that's what I think it is (8/9 tropical) it's definitely a suiting.

If you want a lightweight jacket from Lesser, check out the 8 ounce lambswool, marked "Carlo Barbera for Lesser." The only Italian mill they ever use, to my knowledge. Excellent stuff.

newtrane

Reaction score
Many thanks. Would the following fabrics be more appropriate for a sports coat? If think the weight should be fine now (12oz). I am not sure though if these fabrics are suitings only.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sticklers might say that the scale is too small for a sportcoat and that the cloth is for suits. If this is a hard worsted, I would definitely say suit only (I don't think it is, though). Otherwise, I would say o.k. for a sportcoat, but not ideal and I really would prefer a larger scale plaid.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Sticklers might say that the scale is too small for a sportcoat and that the cloth is for suits. If this is a hard worsted, I would definitely say suit only (I don't think it is, though). Otherwise, I would say o.k. for a sportcoat, but not ideal and I really would prefer a larger scale plaid.

I agree. Those are suitings. They would not look terrible as jackets, but I would still look for a true jacketing.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Originally Posted by Manton
I agree. Those are suitings. They would not look terrible as jackets, but I would still look for a true jacketing.

damned group-think.

newtrane

Reaction score
Many thanks.

Could you please recommend me POW / Glen Plaid cloth (preferably british) in that weight (about 11oz) that would be appropriate for a sports coat?

I appreciate your help very much!

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Many thanks.

Could you please recommend me POW / Glen Plaid cloth (preferably british) in that weight (about 11oz) that would be appropriate for a sports coat?

I have no access to the books and don't know the on-line sites. I do know that Breanish tweed has several tweeds in that weight. Their website doesn't show photos, but they are very helpful and if you e-mail them they can send email you photos.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Many thanks.

Take a look at shetlands. Lots of good shetlands in 12 ounces, and they are an ideal jacketing.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have no access to the books and don't know the on-line sites. I do know that Breanish tweed has several tweeds in that weight. Their website doesn't show photos, but they are very helpful and if you e-mail them they can send email you photos.

Originally Posted by Manton
Take a look at shetlands. Lots of good shetlands in 12 ounces, and they are an ideal jacketing.

damned group-think.

newtrane

Reaction score
I sent an email to Mr. Macleod at Breanish Tweed and will ask my tailor to show me shetland jacketings.

Manton: I am currently reading your book and like it a lot.

Thanks again very much for your help.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I sent an email to Mr. Macleod at Breanish Tweed and will ask my tailor to show me shetland jacketings.

Manton: I am currently reading your book and like it a lot.

Thanks again very much for your help.

Search SF for Breanish. Look for posts by T4phage and you might find some examples. I may have posted one or two as well.

I have some photos they sent me (a few attached), but none of that really matters as they weave in small lots and what they had is not what they have. Would you mind posting what they send you? My two length remain unmade, so I am not in the market for more, but I am always curious about what is available.

newtrane

Reaction score
dopey: Yes - I will certainly be happy to post pics as soon as I get them.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
damned group-think.
More like iGent
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads