• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: Castangia from SARTORIALE

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction is for a Castangia Suit or Sportcoat from SARTORIALE Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Lesser Fabric - Appropriate for Sports Jacket?

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by newtrane
Would the following fabric from lesser be an appropriate choice for a sports jacket?

Many thanks!

http://img216.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc00047rq9.jpg

If that's what I think it is (8/9 tropical) it's definitely a suiting.

If you want a lightweight jacket from Lesser, check out the 8 ounce lambswool, marked "Carlo Barbera for Lesser." The only Italian mill they ever use, to my knowledge. Excellent stuff.

newtrane

Reaction score
Many thanks. Would the following fabrics be more appropriate for a sports coat? If think the weight should be fine now (12oz). I am not sure though if these fabrics are suitings only.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sticklers might say that the scale is too small for a sportcoat and that the cloth is for suits. If this is a hard worsted, I would definitely say suit only (I don't think it is, though). Otherwise, I would say o.k. for a sportcoat, but not ideal and I really would prefer a larger scale plaid.

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Sticklers might say that the scale is too small for a sportcoat and that the cloth is for suits. If this is a hard worsted, I would definitely say suit only (I don't think it is, though). Otherwise, I would say o.k. for a sportcoat, but not ideal and I really would prefer a larger scale plaid.

I agree. Those are suitings. They would not look terrible as jackets, but I would still look for a true jacketing.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Originally Posted by Manton
I agree. Those are suitings. They would not look terrible as jackets, but I would still look for a true jacketing.

damned group-think.

newtrane

Reaction score
Many thanks.

Could you please recommend me POW / Glen Plaid cloth (preferably british) in that weight (about 11oz) that would be appropriate for a sports coat?

I appreciate your help very much!

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Many thanks.

Could you please recommend me POW / Glen Plaid cloth (preferably british) in that weight (about 11oz) that would be appropriate for a sports coat?

I have no access to the books and don't know the on-line sites. I do know that Breanish tweed has several tweeds in that weight. Their website doesn't show photos, but they are very helpful and if you e-mail them they can send email you photos.

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Many thanks.

Take a look at shetlands. Lots of good shetlands in 12 ounces, and they are an ideal jacketing.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have no access to the books and don't know the on-line sites. I do know that Breanish tweed has several tweeds in that weight. Their website doesn't show photos, but they are very helpful and if you e-mail them they can send email you photos.

Originally Posted by Manton
Take a look at shetlands. Lots of good shetlands in 12 ounces, and they are an ideal jacketing.

damned group-think.

newtrane

Reaction score
I sent an email to Mr. Macleod at Breanish Tweed and will ask my tailor to show me shetland jacketings.

Manton: I am currently reading your book and like it a lot.

Thanks again very much for your help.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I sent an email to Mr. Macleod at Breanish Tweed and will ask my tailor to show me shetland jacketings.

Manton: I am currently reading your book and like it a lot.

Thanks again very much for your help.

Search SF for Breanish. Look for posts by T4phage and you might find some examples. I may have posted one or two as well.

I have some photos they sent me (a few attached), but none of that really matters as they weave in small lots and what they had is not what they have. Would you mind posting what they send you? My two length remain unmade, so I am not in the market for more, but I am always curious about what is available.

newtrane

Reaction score
dopey: Yes - I will certainly be happy to post pics as soon as I get them.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 29 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 140 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 264 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 129 16.0%
  • 31 - 40