• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lesser 9.5/10 ounce book

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Not a great pic, but:

282793150_sYXiG-XL.jpg

Closeup:

282793167_wAWdQ-L.jpg

- B

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nice. Like the tie, too.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Depends on the cloth. Tweeds are often heavier but they have a very porous weave and a certain sponginess to their yarns which makes them insular but not necessarily either smothering or too heavy.

The problem with heavier worsted cloths is thats after 13oz, they begin to become dead weight on the shoulder. That was always a complaint for wool overcoat cloths, where to get insulation, they had to be very heavy which tired the body. That is why cashmeres are generally preferred for overcoats, they provide warmth without weight.

Originally Posted by Manton
Compared with a big manly tough guy he-man like you, I am sure I am a toothpick, muscle-wise, and 16 ounce worsted does not tire me at all, so this gets a big
rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted by Cary Grant
QFT. I'd die in 16oz... even when it's well below freezing... no way I could routinely where that indoors.

FWIW, just had a second fitting for a 16/17 oz worsted suit in R&T Silver Gander ( Not loose woven) and although I bought it for winter wear, it didn't wear particularly warm. So I'd guess I could wear 16 oz worsteds for eight months out of the year w/o problems. I'd think a 9.5/10 oz worsted would be for spring and fall and keep the linen blends and tropical worsteds for summer.

Just ordered some really cool
cool.gif
platinum bale ( wtvr that means) and 25% kid mohair suitings for summer -250 g/m (about 8 ozs) Open weave and REALLY light- but has nice body from the mohair.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Nice. Like the tie, too.

Thanks. It's an Attolini six-fold.

Originally Posted by yachtie
Just ordered some really cool
cool.gif
platinum bale ( wtvr that means) and 25% kid mohair suitings for summer -250 g/m (about 8 ozs) Open weave and REALLY light- but has nice body from the mohair.

Made by whom?

- B

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Nice to see Vox in a decent tie. While I love the square as well, I don't think they work together, however.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Having seen the full suit photos, is that really a country pattern? Seems not to me.

Hmmm...a decent point. Here's a swatch in a bad flash pic:

127987987_5wccR-O.jpg

Not enough rus in urbe?

Originally Posted by Manton
Nice to see Vox in a decent tie. While I love the square as well, I don't think they work together, however.

Originally Posted by Will
We often disagree about these things but Manton is right about the tie and pocket square. Does that make me his syncophant?

Now I'll have to wear this combo all the time.

- B

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My feeling is that if it gets solidly below freezing at night, I can probably go with 13-16oz worsted (and under some circumstances, flannels) during the day. We just hit that weather in Boston last week, so figure about 5 months of potential use for winter suits.

There are a handful of the Lessers Tropicals that are especially substantial-- I could also probably wear those without feeling like a complete idiot as long as I had a topcoat. Which I don't prefer to wear.

Anyway, we have overlapping zones of use:

16oz: dead of winter, or when it feels like it. 5 months + in Boston, in the right weave.

12/13oz: not so different in temperature properties. Noticeably easier to cart around, however, and often available in brighter colors. So this can be useful from the cooler parts of September on, and can be stretched into April or early May. Sometimes the best part of spring is just wearing lighter-weight clothing even if it doesn't make you any cooler. 8 months?

10/11: often pitched as "year-round" weight. This isn't a bad start although I'm getting a bit frustrated in my search for one that will do the warm spring and fall days. Generally too hot for summer, not quite substantial enough for winter. Still, could do March-June and parts of Sept-October. Call it 4 months, unless you're more tolerant than I. Exceptions-- the Smith Finmeresco and (here's hoping) the LL Brisa, which is really 13oz. Those won't be for real summer wear but will get pretty close. Also, Scabal has a few things like Quattro 10oz (4-ply, super 130s high-twist) that I'd like to check out.

9oz: covers most of summer except for the absolute dog days, when only linen really will work or perhaps mohair. The beefier samples can go surprisingly late into the cooler weather.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Now I'll have to wear this combo all the time.

- B

Don't be churlish, we are trying to help.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads