• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Less expensive white formal braces

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking to buy a pair of white formal braces, but I'm not about to drop $80+ on the Thurstons. Can anyone recommend a reasonably decent looking alternative that's not so pricey?

And yes, I realize that for some of you with money burning holes in your pockets, 80 bucks for these seems like nothing. That's not really the case for me, so please refrain from the unhelpful "just shell out the $80 or live forever in embarrassment with your ****** braces" type responses. I don't expect to find something of Thurston quality at half the price; however, I am looking for something that will still appear rather "formal" and not look too terrible.

Thanks.

E TF

Reaction score
A couple of plain white options here, at Darcy clothing.

Macallan

Reaction score

I am looking for something that will still appear rather "formal"

By formal, do you mean the British view (i.e. black tie) or American (i.e. work wear)?

Whatever view it is, wear what you like- braces are not supposed to be seen; however, on the chance that they may be seen, keep it simple (like plain white).

TM Lewin have decent braces £25-30, I think they are made by Albert Thurston but not to the same quality as 'Albert Thurston' branded braces.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far, guys!

By "formal" I mean the British version (i.e. black tie). I plan on wearing them with my tuxedo; and, you touched on precisely the reason I don't want to spend too much on them . . . no one should really see them, but on the off chance I do end up taking my coat off for whatever reason, I want them to look nice.

Edit: Also, I live in the US, so some overseas options may be less feasible (with higher shipping costs and such).

Edit 2: I see that the Darcy ones would still only come out to 24.50 pounds ($37.50 or so). Not a bad deal.

Last edited:

AmericanGent

Reaction score
By formal, do you mean the British view (i.e. black tie) or American (i.e. work wear)?

Whatever view it is, wear what you like- braces are not supposed to be seen; however, on the chance that they may be seen, keep it simple (like plain white).

TM Lewin have decent braces £25-30, I think they are made by Albert Thurston but not to the same quality as 'Albert Thurston' branded braces.
Oh yes, Americans have no idea what formal means. Thank you for the subtle insult.

AmericanGent

Reaction score
Looking to buy a pair of white formal braces, but I'm not about to drop $80+ on the Thurstons. Can anyone recommend a reasonably decent looking alternative that's not so pricey?

And yes, I realize that for some of you with money burning holes in your pockets, 80 bucks for these seems like nothing. That's not really the case for me, so please refrain from the unhelpful "just shell out the $80 or live forever in embarrassment with your ****** braces" type responses. I don't expect to find something of Thurston quality at half the price; however, I am looking for something that will still appear rather "formal" and not look too terrible.

Thanks.

It is always hard to get the quality made look with out the price that comes with it. Look at Amazon and http://www.suspenderstore.com/. If you write them they might have white formals.
Robert Talbott Protocol has some mid-range formal items but I don't see any suspenders on their site.

We have white suspenders for military dinner dress- they are made in the USA, so they must be available somewhere. If you need help tracking that down let me know.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check eBay. I just bought some Thurston white moire braces for about $50.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads