1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Less expensive white formal braces

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by BackInTheJox, Apr 7, 2013.

1. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Looking to buy a pair of white formal braces, but I'm not about to drop $80+ on the Thurstons. Can anyone recommend a reasonably decent looking alternative that's not so pricey?

And yes, I realize that for some of you with money burning holes in your pockets, 80 bucks for these seems like nothing. That's not really the case for me, so please refrain from the unhelpful "just shell out the $80 or live forever in embarrassment with your shitty braces" type responses. I don't expect to find something of Thurston quality at half the price; however, I am looking for something that will still appear rather "formal" and not look too terrible.

Thanks.

2. E TF

E TF Senior member

A couple of plain white options here, at Darcy clothing.

3. Macallan

Macallan Senior member

By formal, do you mean the British view (i.e. black tie) or American (i.e. work wear)?

Whatever view it is, wear what you like- braces are not supposed to be seen; however, on the chance that they may be seen, keep it simple (like plain white).

TM Lewin have decent braces £25-30, I think they are made by Albert Thurston but not to the same quality as 'Albert Thurston' branded braces.

4. Andysrus

Andysrus Active Member

5. BackInTheJox

Thanks for the replies so far, guys!

By "formal" I mean the British version (i.e. black tie). I plan on wearing them with my tuxedo; and, you touched on precisely the reason I don't want to spend too much on them . . . no one should really see them, but on the off chance I do end up taking my coat off for whatever reason, I want them to look nice.

Edit: Also, I live in the US, so some overseas options may be less feasible (with higher shipping costs and such).

Edit 2: I see that the Darcy ones would still only come out to 24.50 pounds ($37.50 or so). Not a bad deal.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  6. BackInTheJox

7. AmericanGent

AmericanGent Senior member

Oh yes, Americans have no idea what formal means. Thank you for the subtle insult.

8. AmericanGent

AmericanGent Senior member

It is always hard to get the quality made look with out the price that comes with it. Look at Amazon and http://www.suspenderstore.com/. If you write them they might have white formals.
    Robert Talbott Protocol has some mid-range formal items but I don't see any suspenders on their site.

We have white suspenders for military dinner dress- they are made in the USA, so they must be available somewhere. If you need help tracking that down let me know.

9. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Check eBay. I just bought some Thurston white moire braces for about $50.

10. smoothmoose

smoothmoose Senior member

11. Brock Zeigler

Brock Zeigler Active Member