1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Less "Douchey" alternative to the Boat Shoe?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rkearns10, May 22, 2013.

1. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

Chukkas (ideally w/ Dainite soles as mentioned above) for the winter and camp mocs for the summer. I'd go w/ Aldens or Alfred Sargents for the chukkas and Rancourts fro the camp mocs.

Vans are great too. I've always preferred the lace ups.

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  2. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Have you looked into Zonkey Boot? It was started by Michael Rollig, the man who previously did Saint Crispin's. What you described is pretty much the raison d'etre behind Zonkey. Rollig thinks dress shoes look terrible with jeans, so he wanted to create a more casual line of footwear for men - based off of classic dress shoes - that could use for things such as bicycling around town.

A lot of stuff on Zonkey's site isn't going to appeal to people on this board (not because they're bad, just because I think this board is hyper traditional). However, there are some pretty nice chukkas on the site, and they run for about $400-500, if I remember correctly. They also make more conservative looking shoes, which you can check out at B & Tailorshop.

http://www.zonkeyboot.com/shop/catalog/category/the-shoe-shelf

http://bntailorstore.com/shop/list.php?ca_id=40

1 person likes this.
  3. chogall

chogall Senior member

Chukka for winter. Suede driver for summer. For suede driver, very hard to beats the cheap eBay ones unless its cheaper.

4. chogall

chogall Senior member

Just curious, are the ZB sailor/classic last the same as SC? I would assume so but never made the effort to check with ZB

5. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

what age is that? I'm past 40 and I have a pair of dark green all stars, navy blue jack purcells and blue seavees that are in rotation when I don't have to dress up and when its too warm to wear my chukkas or red wings.

function > form... wearing hard soles means better transfer of power (meaning it takes more effort to pedal if the sole is soft). among sneakers, vans and other skateboard shoe makers should be better for your feet/legs

6. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Senior member

Not sure where you live or if you wear shorts at all, but you cant really wear bucks/chukkas and shorts. I know people do it, and Im sure its been done well, but I havent personally seen it done cleanly.

Get something low maintenance and comfortable. Id do suede drivers if you want something classy or vans slipons if you want to keep it simple

7. jhwendland

jhwendland Senior member

8. jhwendland

jhwendland Senior member

I'd rather be a douche in boat shoes than a douche in Vans.

9. jhwendland

jhwendland Senior member

Those canoe mocs (third Orvis link) are decent, although overpriced. Everything else is cringe worthy. Questionable taste, Kai.

10. eluther

eluther Senior member

Some of these are great, but I'm confused – if dress shoes look horrible with jeans, why would the simulacrum of dress shoes look any better?

11. eluther

eluther Senior member

You can get a pair of plain canvas sneakers. Put This On has an exhaustive list of recommendations here. I don't think any of these look "sad" on a man of any age.

12. jhwendland

jhwendland Senior member

Spring Courts are literally the most uncomfortable shoe I've ever tried on.