Less "Douchey" alternative to the Boat Shoe?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rkearns10, May 22, 2013.

1. matty long legs

matty long legs Senior member

Fuck trends. Wear what you like. Wearing or not wearing clothes because of "trends" is the douchiest thing imaginable.

What's douchey about these?

[​IMG]

2. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

converse or a more solid sole driving moc (no nubs)

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Suede bucks. And don't worry about getting them dirty. That's half the appeal of suede bucks.

4. rkearns10

rkearns10 Member

Thanks for all the responses, gentleman. Much appreciated. I'm kind of digging these: http://shop.vans.com/catalog/Vans/en_US/style/sfo.html?categoryId=65121&colorCode=SFO7ES

Or just might spring and finally get the pair of allen edmonds suede neumoks I've always lusted over.... or probably not because that would probably be a poor choice of shoe for such a leisurely activity.. hahha ANYWAY..

No offense but I really hope Kai is half kidding with those choices (apologies in advance if he was serious) . I've had numerous pairs of desert boots and love the look but I find that my tastes have shifted towards a more narrow, tapered sole, and desert boots haven't jumped on that wagon as of late. They seem to have the wide flat sole that is a bit too lax for me.

Great stuff all around.

5. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Nothing wrong with boat shoes so long as they're a decent color scheme. I like the Sebago Schooners. Brown leather and sole, as it the contrasty soles that make boat shoes look frattish. That said, not really sure boat shoes are good for cycling. I'd go with Jack Purcells. You can get them in custom color schemes fron the Converse website. The used to offer custom leather Jack Purcells, a shame they stopped. They still offer custom leather Chucks, those woud work too.

6. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

Chukkas (ideally w/ Dainite soles as mentioned above) for the winter and camp mocs for the summer. I'd go w/ Aldens or Alfred Sargents for the chukkas and Rancourts fro the camp mocs.

Vans are great too. I've always preferred the lace ups.

Last edited: May 24, 2013

7. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Have you looked into Zonkey Boot? It was started by Michael Rollig, the man who previously did Saint Crispin's. What you described is pretty much the raison d'etre behind Zonkey. Rollig thinks dress shoes look terrible with jeans, so he wanted to create a more casual line of footwear for men - based off of classic dress shoes - that could use for things such as bicycling around town.

A lot of stuff on Zonkey's site isn't going to appeal to people on this board (not because they're bad, just because I think this board is hyper traditional). However, there are some pretty nice chukkas on the site, and they run for about $400-500, if I remember correctly. They also make more conservative looking shoes, which you can check out at B & Tailorshop.

http://www.zonkeyboot.com/shop/catalog/category/the-shoe-shelf

http://bntailorstore.com/shop/list.php?ca_id=40

8. chogall

chogall Senior member

Chukka for winter. Suede driver for summer. For suede driver, very hard to beats the cheap eBay ones unless its cheaper.

9. chogall

chogall Senior member

Just curious, are the ZB sailor/classic last the same as SC? I would assume so but never made the effort to check with ZB

10. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

what age is that? I'm past 40 and I have a pair of dark green all stars, navy blue jack purcells and blue seavees that are in rotation when I don't have to dress up and when its too warm to wear my chukkas or red wings.

function > form... wearing hard soles means better transfer of power (meaning it takes more effort to pedal if the sole is soft). among sneakers, vans and other skateboard shoe makers should be better for your feet/legs

11. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Senior member

Not sure where you live or if you wear shorts at all, but you cant really wear bucks/chukkas and shorts. I know people do it, and Im sure its been done well, but I havent personally seen it done cleanly.

Get something low maintenance and comfortable. Id do suede drivers if you want something classy or vans slipons if you want to keep it simple

12. jhwendland

jhwendland Senior member

13. jhwendland

jhwendland Senior member

I'd rather be a douche in boat shoes than a douche in Vans.

14. jhwendland

jhwendland Senior member

Those canoe mocs (third Orvis link) are decent, although overpriced. Everything else is cringe worthy. Questionable taste, Kai.

15. eluther

eluther Senior member

Some of these are great, but I'm confused – if dress shoes look horrible with jeans, why would the simulacrum of dress shoes look any better?