1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Less "Douchey" alternative to the Boat Shoe?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rkearns10, May 22, 2013.

1. rkearns10

rkearns10 Member

Hey Stylers,

So I live in a pretty urban area and I've just taken to riding a ten speed road bike around town. I'm not necessarily a racer, but more of a float around with friends or admiring the local female population over beers etc. kind of rider. Long story short, I find it too difficult and impractical riding around in oxfords and I've grown way the hell out of sandals many years ago. I'm looking for a type of shoe that is stylish, but relatively practical for riding my bike around town. I NEVER wear sneakers with jeans so that's out of the question. I really think the boat shoe is a close match, however, over the years I've just grown to see every human being and my eleven year old cousins wearing them. Not to mention every single douche/bro in College. I really don't mind the look, as long as it's an all white, beige, or different colored boat shoe... but I just want to see if you guys had any insight as to other options beyond the hackneyed boat shoe, or a much less "douchey" style of shoe/slip on,

Apologies to any boat shoe wearers in advance... just trying to stay ahead of the trends here.

Much love.

Thanks

2. red81

red81 Senior member

3. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

4. MrSANAtty

MrSANAtty New Member

What about a pair of dressy sneakers? Canali, Lanvin, Bugatchi, and Common Projects come to mind. I've got several of the Lanvin suede/patent cap toe low tops and love them, and wear them where I'd normally wear a boat shoe. IMHO, better than a boat shoe for an urban gent...

5. joshmick

joshmick Senior member

I kind of enjoy riding my bike in dressier shoes, the soles are always a bit stiffer than my boat shoes or sneakers. I juast have to adjust my cages acccordingly, no biggie.

6. gringodaddy

gringodaddy Senior member

This was my first thought. Though I don't think that boat shoes are a bad choice and far from "douchey"

7. eluther

eluther Senior member

Be less of a sanctimonious douche yourself and wear sneakers with jeans like everyone else. You're not so precious that there's no reason you can't do it.

5 people like this.
  8. rkearns10

rkearns10 Member

Thanks for the responses guys... and yes I knew that was coming regarding sneakers haha.. I moreso meant running shoes/nikes with jeans.. I'm actually warming up to a pair of vans slip-ons. Anyway.. I think these are some good responses. I have a pair of nubuck oxfords and suede bucs, which I love... but the maintenance is tough. I guess it comes with the territory though.

9. GreatHighway

GreatHighway Senior member

if you've grown out of your sandals get bigger sandals?

but seriously, canvas slip-ons

10. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Douche City.

Get a goddamn pair of loafers.

11. erpet

erpet Senior member

Desert boots, e.g. Clarks.

12. erpet

erpet Senior member

Yes, there are two reasons:

1) (At least my) feet get too warm with too much plastic/rubber/synthetics wrapped around them. Very uncomfortable.

2) Following 1), the gorgonzola-dog duty blend stench the feet and shoes will get after a while

Bonus reason:

I donĀ“t know how old the OP is, but having passed a certain age, wearing sneakers looks really sad.

13. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

If you're mainly looking for a bike shoe, the sole should be made from a hard rubber mix, Dainite or Commando, for better traction and distribution of force. After all, specialized bike shoes all have hard soles. For models: penny loafers, suede bucks, camp moccs. Not many available with Dainite or Commando soles, though.

14. matty long legs

matty long legs Senior member

Fuck trends. Wear what you like. Wearing or not wearing clothes because of "trends" is the douchiest thing imaginable.

What's douchey about these?

[​IMG]

15. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

converse or a more solid sole driving moc (no nubs)

16. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Suede bucks. And don't worry about getting them dirty. That's half the appeal of suede bucks.

17. rkearns10

rkearns10 Member

Thanks for all the responses, gentleman. Much appreciated. I'm kind of digging these: http://shop.vans.com/catalog/Vans/en_US/style/sfo.html?categoryId=65121&colorCode=SFO7ES

Or just might spring and finally get the pair of allen edmonds suede neumoks I've always lusted over.... or probably not because that would probably be a poor choice of shoe for such a leisurely activity.. hahha ANYWAY..

No offense but I really hope Kai is half kidding with those choices (apologies in advance if he was serious) . I've had numerous pairs of desert boots and love the look but I find that my tastes have shifted towards a more narrow, tapered sole, and desert boots haven't jumped on that wagon as of late. They seem to have the wide flat sole that is a bit too lax for me.

Great stuff all around.

18. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Nothing wrong with boat shoes so long as they're a decent color scheme. I like the Sebago Schooners. Brown leather and sole, as it the contrasty soles that make boat shoes look frattish. That said, not really sure boat shoes are good for cycling. I'd go with Jack Purcells. You can get them in custom color schemes fron the Converse website. The used to offer custom leather Jack Purcells, a shame they stopped. They still offer custom leather Chucks, those woud work too.