• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LES versus Morningside Heights

jslade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey fellas,

I'm looking for some housing in New York City for the summer (June-August), and am having a little trouble finding a place, since I can't physically check it out before committing to it.

As such, I think that I'm just going to go with a student dormitory for the convenience factor (unless anyone here has a better idea). NYU Summer Housing is completely full, so I'm looking at the two best remaining options: Columbia and the School of Visual Arts.

SVA is located in LES; Columbia is located in Morningside Heights. The place that I'll be working at this summer is located in Midtown West/East, I believe, right next to Grand Central.

Any thoughts on which location might be "better"? LES is obviously a little bit closer to where I'll be working, although not by much. I'm also all ears if any of you have any other suggestions.

Thanks very much!

Last edited:

Axelman 17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From a logistical perspective, neither is ideal if you are working in the Grand Central area. Assuming the LES location is Delancey and Ludlow, the nearby trains arent great and wont get you to Grand Central. You are going to have to hike to the 6 train or take the F and walk back across town. Marginally better than taking the 1 from Columbia and the S crosstown but not a huge difference, I wouldnt decide based on that variable.

To me, it comes down to the experience you want to have. Morningside Heights is the prettier neighborhood, lots of pre-war buildings, more green etc. However, the social scene is going to feel like a little being in a college town. The restaurants/bars arent that interesting and are full of college kids. LES has more of the grit and history that people associate with NYC - more ethnic etc though it has been overrun to some extent by new developments as of late. The nightlife is much more vibrant and eclectic. I would also add that the specific cross-streets of the SoVA are not very appealing, its right near a bunch of big department stores and fast food spots though not far from some good places.

jslade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, appreciate the responses.

Axelman, please correct me if I'm wrong, as my knowledge of the MTA is nonexistent at best, but assuming that I lived at Ludlow and Delancy in the SVA dorms, couldn't I do this?

Walk 0.07 mile(1 minute) South-East to ESSEX ST STATION J/M/Z
Take the BROAD ST bound
Get off at CANAL ST STATION J/Z

From CANAL ST STATION 6
Take the PARKCHESTER bound
Get off at 42ND ST -GRAND CENTRAL 4/5/6/7/S/METRO-N

Again, if I'm incorrect in anyway, please let me know. Just trying to get a feel for how inconvenient either of these two locations are going to be.

Last edited:

Axelman 17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, you could but if it were me and I was going to end up on the 6 train, I would just walk to the Spring Street stop vs. taking the J/M/Z which is a pretty crummy line to Canal Street which is a pretty horrible station. Wont be a huge difference time-wise though. If I had to guess, I would suspect that the commute from the SoVA will be 15 minutes faster into Grand Central than Columbia.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Great advice from both posters so far. I would also live in the LES. Don't get me wrong...Morningside Hgts is beautiful...but the LES is much more fun for nightlife...

As for transit, you state that you will be working in Midtown West/East, I believe, right next to Grand Central. That can put you close to Grand Central(4,5,6) or even a block or 2 from Bryant Park(F,etc.) Really depends on where...

jslade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts. Guess I'll be going with SVA on the LES, unless anyone has any better suggestions in terms of housing for two months. I can't say that I'll love being stuck with a bunch of hipsters, but beggars can't be choosers, right?

radrodant

Reaction score
Not the areas you listed but you should check out fidi.
I lived in the new school dorms down there last summer and its not bad.
Dead at night, but also quiet and real close to all the subway stops.

And LES isn't really filled with hipsters per se. Williamsburg is filled with them.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I grew up in Morningside Heights (when it was called "Harlem"). It's a nice neighborhood to settle down in, but it's definitely not fun. You will probably be spending a lot of your free time in Lower Manhattan. The LES is a really fun place to live...if you're young AND it's a short term deal. Maybe my experience is skewed by living on a block with bars, but plan on going out every THURS-SAT, even if you don't feel like going out. The streets are incredibly loud on those nights, and unless you have central air (you won't) it's unbearable.

jslade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey ARW, how did you like the Ludlow SVA dorms? Decent place to live for the price?

Thanks for all the input again!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads