• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lenovo thread

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i lurked and posted some on the notebookreview lenovo forums for a very long time and i'd say that statement is typical nostalgic hipster bullshit.

quality has not gone dramatically down (although some would say QC has somewhat), but prices have gone way down.

thinkpads are no longer 2, 3k+ and lenovo thinkpads have all the makings of ibm thinkpads

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a fan of Lenovo laptops. Been using my T410 pretty roughly out here in India for the last six months, and it has held up well so far.

The best aspect about the Lenovo laptops is the keyboard, by far. I am surprised other companies haven't been able to figure out how to make the right keyboard.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Not starting ****, just merely curious, but I've heard from people that have used pre and post IBM thinkpads and that since Lenovo took over the quality has gone down dramatically. Yes? No?

I can't imagine in what way quality could have gone down. They're quieter, lighter, faster, last longer, less hot, and still use basically the same basic construction (metal fram, heavy duty hinges, etc).

badsha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The quality is pretty damned good now. When the transition from T60 to T61 was happening there were a lot of issues. I think it was the time IBM ThinkPads were switching to Lenovo ThinkPads.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Some jackass knocked my open X200 off the crash cart at the datacenter today. It doesn't have a scratch and it's fine.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meh I get one for work which is why Im not really in love with it. Looking for a computer that can handle some light gaming....

flambard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by badsha
The quality is pretty damned good now. When the transition from T60 to T61 was happening there were a lot of issues. I think it was the time IBM ThinkPads were switching to Lenovo ThinkPads.

I bought a used T61 via ebay. It is a good machine, very clean and every bit a Thinkpad. Only problem was its corporate past: screen was dim and starting to exhibit signs of not getting any younger. Solution was buying a new screen (I went to www.laptopscreen.com). Replacement was quite easy once I got it open but I must say the T61 is built like an absolute tank. It was one of those situations where I really could have used a third arm. After the screen replacement I am 100% happy with this machine. Running XP on it but plan to upgrade to Win7 sometime in the future. I find the audio portion of the T61 is the weak point (headphones recommended).

montyharding

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I can't imagine in what way quality could have gone down. They're quieter, lighter, faster, last longer, less hot, and still use basically the same basic construction (metal fram, heavy duty hinges, etc).

Yeah - I don't think it's the case its gone down as such, although the standard of construction isn't as elaborate as it used to be - but then, no-one else can afford to make it as elaborate either since everyone's much more price-sensitive these days, and the crud that Apple comes out with is held up as the arbiter of the highest end by moronic hipster "digerati". It's more the case that the business models from other companies have caught up.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
I have been using IBM/Lenovos for the last decade.

I currently use an X301. I think it is the best laptop ever made.

I work from home a lot, and live near the water. On a beautiful day I take the laptop to a waterfront park and sit in the sun. I get about 3 hours of battery life with the screen on full brightness (extremely legible in direct sunlight) and WWAN.

I think in that scenario you can turn brightness all the way down. That's what I do in direct sunlight, it's practically an e-ink effect.

I've had my X200 for 2 years, it pretty amazing. I opted for the 2.4Ghz processor and with 4GB of ram, it is still kicking with most mid-level processors these days. It's time to replace the battery (400 + cycles) but other than that, it works as good as new. If I ever feel the need I can go SSD for a speed boost.

The x200 is perfect for those that don't use trackpads (like me). I would say that the only drawback is the 12 inch screen with a lot of leftover bezel space. They could have easily fit a 13" screen into this chassis, but of course, the 13" was reserved for the X301

The X220 is absolutely the computer I would get if I were in the market right now.

As an aside, I do appreciate the design of Apple, the MBP 13" and the Air 11" in particular. You can't say they are shite.

AgentQ

Reaction score
Huge fan of the X200, had it for almost 3 years now -- I've taken it around the world, dropped it many times, still doing well. At home, I have it in an dock connected to 2 monitors, handles everything with aplomb! I may upgrade to the X220 soon -- 4GB of ram is apparently not enough these days =/

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
4 GB of ram is plenty. My desktop I build 6 months ago has 4 gigs of ram. The highest graphics games nowadays still dont require 4 GB of ram. Having 8G of ram is just a way to make you spend 300 dollars more while a 2GB stick is cheap as hell.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
where are you gettin 8gb for $300?

i spent 80 for mine

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AgentQ
Huge fan of the X200, had it for almost 3 years now -- I've taken it around the world, dropped it many times, still doing well. At home, I have it in an dock connected to 2 monitors, handles everything with aplomb! I may upgrade to the X220 soon -- 4GB of ram is apparently not enough these days =/
x200 is what i have. the 220 looks NICE. They finally put a good lcd on it with an IPS screen. That's the biggest reason to upgrade imo, though I wish they'd bump it up to 1440x900. I bought my x200 (instead of a 210) a few months ago specifically so i could mod it with an IPS screen. I don't know how you use yours, but ya, 4gb is lower end of what i'd want. I upgraded my x200 to 8gb and replaced the HD with an SSD. It is FAST and lasts forever (windows boots in 10-15s). It comes back from standby almost instantaneously. If you don't want to shell out another $1500-2k bucks, ram+ssd will get you 2-3 more years unless you're doing something that really requires the extra cpu.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads