• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lengths of pants for different sized openings

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Different sized leg openings require different pant length to look proper on me. Any thoughts on this? My preferences have constantly been changing since I started getting various types of pants done, and this seems to affect the pant sillhouette drastically

Opening type
- very slim (14 inch opening/or proportionally, shows most of my whole shoe)
Pant Length
- full break when standing
(shows very little sock, more "standard" look)
- no break when standing
(shows a lot of sock when walking, everyone thinks they are too short, I like em)

Opening type
- slim (15 inch opening/or proportionally, shows most of my whole shoe but back length drops down to lower of shoe)
Pant Length
- half break

Opening type
- "standard" (proportionally goes to 2nd/3rd lace eyelet?)
Pant Length
- half break

And finally something else I like more recently on fuller cut pants

Opening type
- large
Pant Length
- full break

xarope

Reaction score
Definitely. Even for the difference between cuffed and non-cuffed, my tailor was telling me cuffed pants have to be cut straight, so may be shorter than non-cuffed (and hence less break), where the hem can be cut fish-tailed (I think that's what he called it), so it can be lower at the back.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I agree - I just hemmed a pair of quite full cut pants and they really don't look right without a full break. At some point I will probably taper the legs down a lot and then I will hem them 1/2" shorter, most likely.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup, just sharing my various results of various experiments I had done w/ my different tailored pants....I am going to try some more specimens w/ fuller cut as most of my current pants are all slim.

nioh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by babygreenspots
Would we say that no break works best on the very slim opening?

Yes we would and I do.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No break w/ "fishtail"...or whatever the term is when you have it lower in the back

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toiletduck
No break w/ "fishtail"...or whatever the term is when you have it lower in the back

They call it a horse's hoof here in HK, which seems to be a popular option as I am asked about it every time I have pants hemmed. I don't like it though, the act of doing such seems too artificial to me. I like my clothe to fit naturally, not to be a trickery to the eyes of others. Having said that, as a shoe fanatics, I hem my pants on the short side, except for jeans.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maomao1980
the act of doing such seems too artificial to me. I like my clothe to fit naturally, not to be a trickery to the eyes of others.
Interesting. Some would say that the best tailors are those with the biggest bag of tricks.
wink.gif

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maomao1980
They call it a horse's hoof here in HK, which seems to be a popular option as I am asked about it every time I have pants hemmed. I don't like it though, the act of doing such seems too artificial to me. I like my clothe to fit naturally, not to be a trickery to the eyes of others. Having said that, as a shoe fanatics, I hem my pants on the short side, except for jeans.

Depends what you call a "natural fit"
smile.gif
I find that for my trousers and shoes, the break seems a bit too full yet isn't long enough at the back when cut straight. It looks more normal/better when I get the "horse's hoof" done. I guess thats my "natural fit"
smile.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
FAIK, it's usually just referred to as a slanted hem, and has been standard for a very long time on uncuffed pants. I do it on my hems. Otherwise, you either have too much bunching in the front or not enough coverage in the back.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads