Lengthening Dress Pants

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by Chinny, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Chinny

Chinny New Member

Hi All,

Long time reader, first time poster.

So, I am faced with a bit of a predicament at the moment. I have found a suit that fits me perfectly up top, however the pants aren't long enough! I am a 30.5-31" inseam, however these pants are 28.5" with 2" of material in the hem.

Is there anyway to make them 30.5", or is it back to the drawing board (which I'm fairly certain is going to be the case!)?

Cheers
    Simon

2. breakaway01

breakaway01 Senior member

What's in the hem is what you've got to lengthen the trousers. I assume the trousers are uncuffed. If they are cuffed then you have an additional 2x the cuff height.

3. ThomGault

ThomGault Senior member

Also keep in mind that even if the trousers are able to altered to your desired inseam, there's generally some material that is folded up on the inside of the leg to form the bottom hem (i.e., the fabric doesnt actually stop at the bottom of the pant leg...it wouldn't be very durable and could easily fray or unravel.) By folding the fabric up on the inside, you get some weight that will help keep the pant leg down and help avoid some wrinkling.

4. Chinny

Chinny New Member

Correct, the trousers are uncuffed. What would be the minimum material required for the hem?

Also, it is a Canali suit. Is there any way I can get the required information from the tags to locate a replacement pair of pants?

Cheers for the help so far

5. ThomGault

ThomGault Senior member

From where are you buying the suit? Is it new or used? If used, don't do it. Even if you ordered replacement trousers from the exact same color and model, they'll be from a different bolt of fabric and will not have experienced the same amount of wear as the current trousers, leading to a different level of fading from the jacket. Even if the suit is new, and you found replacement trousers, be careful...Again, items from different bolts of cloth can appear subtly different, although people often buy suit separates anyway.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017

6. breakaway01

breakaway01 Senior member

1/4" is probably the minimum amount for a hem. If you're going that route, I'd suggest adding hem tape to reinforce the edge of the fabric, plus it adds a little bit of weight to help with drape.

+1 to what ThomGault said about trying to get a replacement pair of trousers.

7. Chinny

Chinny New Member

Thanks for the advice fellas.

The suit is brand new and solid navy, so thought finding replacement trousers may have been an option.