1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Lengthening coat sleeves

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Renault78law, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

Is there a reliable method [that doesn't involve taking the coat to a tailor] to determine how long a jacket sleeve can be lengthened? I received a used sportcoat coat on ebay that could use 1-1.25" more in the sleeve. My option to return runs out before I can take it to see my tailor, so I'm kind of in a bind.

Since it's a sportcoat, I don't have any extra material to help out on the underside. I know the prognosis looks grim, what are my options?

p.s. i could take a pic of the underside of the sleeve if it would help

2. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Well, if you don't feel comfortable sewing the lining back in, the best you can do is feel around to see how much fabric is in there.

If you can sew, rip (with a seam ripper) the lining out of one cuff and check it. If you have enough, it would need to be opened anyway; if not, sew it back up and send it back.

3. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

Ok, but how close to the end of the seam could I go?  In other words, how much fabric do I need to left over to tuck it onto the underside of the cuff?

(sheesh, I'm a poor writer.)

Say I can feel 2" on the underside of the cuff...how long can the sleeve be lengthened?  2"?  Or do I need extra fabric to wrap under the end of the sleeve, (eg thus allowing me to extend the sleeve only 1.5")?

4. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

FAIK, you need just enough to fold over and sew the lining to. So if you can feel 2" beyond where the lining is sewn, you should be able to lengthen it almost 2", with some allowance to be under the lining. Probably a tailor could even add fabric from somewhere to get you a little more length, but I'm not sure.

5. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

If push comes to shove and you have not enough fabric for a proper return, you can always put on a "false hem". You add a plain fabric, like a cotton twill tape in a matching color, to the return to make up for the missing fabric. As this is inside the sleeve, only you and nobody else will know it is there.

As it is a used jacket, check for signs of wear or dirt marks. If you let the sleeves down the wear or dirt will no longer be inside the sleeve (where it folds) but 1" or so up on the sleeve.

6. johnw86

johnw86 Senior member

Very good point. I'm bidding on a suit on ebay now that may need sleeve lengthening, and I hadn't thought of this.

7. rws

rws Active Member

This statement puzzles me. Does the writer imply that extra material in a suit might come from trousers or waistcoat, or does he imply that sportcoats are made with smaller cloth allowances than suit coats?

8. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member