• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

length of trousers

calvinloke

Reaction score
Can I know is this a medium break or a full break? Also, I noticed my socks were showing when I'm walking. Is this normal?

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that's a pretty good break. Some here like it even higher. Their socks show even when they not walking. I personally don't care for that at all..

calvinloke

Reaction score
does that mean the longer the trousers, the lower the break would be?

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by calvinloke
does that mean the longer the trousers, the lower the break would be?

A longer trouser = a "fuller" break.

If your socks show when you walk (a la Thom Browne) that's a no break.

If your trousers stop about halfway down the back fo your shoe, that's about a half-break.

If the trouser extends to about the top of the heel of the shoe, that's a full break.

This is a simplified explanation, but I think you get the idea.

Regarding your question as to whether socks showing while walking was normal - on a trimmer pant like that, it's normal. And in my opinion it looks better than a pant that is too long.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, the length of these pants is perfect if you want a modern look. It is especially good for the narrow cut, flat front pants you are wearing.

Well done!

Lawman

Reaction score
Without any knowledge of what the fashion has been historically, I think having the cuffs or hem cut so you can see socks when standing still usually looks really, really weird. At least in my business, I never, ever see it. I guess I've always associated it with very stylish young guys, like in the RLPL or Hickey (not hickey freeman) ads. I think it's pretty safe to say that if a 45 year old lawyer showed up in court with his cuffs just below the ankles he would be the object of considerable attention and derision.

As far as the OP's picture goes, those look just right to me.

ozonemania

Reaction score
Can I know is this a medium break or a full break? Also, I noticed my socks were showing when I'm walking. Is this normal?
That's what I'd call a half break. Looks really good!

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to have a suit and some Marbitex trews altered today.
I told her "no break and 2 inch cuffs"
She mumbled in Korean and said that was hard cause the diameter of the ankles were too small.
I laughed and said "Are you worried I will not like your work?", she said yes.
I told her, she had done this on several other pairs of pants, and I loved her work, infact, I wish there were less break on several pairs she had done.

Apparently, I am the only one to ever request this.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
I went to have a suit and some Marbitex trews altered today.
I told her "no break and 2 inch cuffs"
She mumbled in Korean and said that was hard cause the diameter of the ankles were too small.
I laughed and said "Are you worried I will not like your work?", she said yes.
I told her, she had done this on several other pairs of pants, and I loved her work, infact, I wish there were less break on several pairs she had done.

Apparently, I am the only one to ever request this.

Up until recently I wore a slight break & no cuff (due to the style of GA pants), now that I am wearing a slimmer pant I have requested no break & 5 cm cuffs.. Loving it..

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That pic is pretty much no break, or a couple mm longer than no break. I mean you could lean to the side and that crease might disappear.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

its easy to keep your sox covered when walking. just make the trousers drag in the floor.

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
its easy to keep your sox covered when walking. just make the trousers drag in the floor.

The downside is that when standing still the puddle of fabric makes you look short and dumpy. This is, unfortunately, the default for most people.

I disagree wit ha point above, a slight break and maybe even medium will allow sock to show when walking.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
...just make the trousers drag in the floor.
Yes, I hate that. I am still trying to find a tailor in this area that will do cuffs, sleeves, and trouser bottoms to my spec without push-back... Incidentally, I could sure use a photo of proper trouser bottom length -- say of an English Royal...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads