• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lending Club

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
Without reading it, it sounds like a ponzi scheme

LOL definitely my first, second and third thoughts, which is why I'm posting this and googling it like crazy. Not seeing any major red flags so far, so I thought I'd throw it out here and see if anybody has direct experience.

I'm looking at it as an investor, not a borrower, but I'm interested in hearing from either.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
I mean...

There's a little more to it than that!

Borrowers are assigned a creditworthiness grade, and the interest rate they pay depends on their grade. Low grade borrowers pay close to 21%, high grade borrowers pay under 7. Investors buy a portfolio of loans paying different interest rates, so the average return works out to 9.65%.

It's an interesting model, and I'm looking for the holes. So far so good...but I don't want to wind up the Javyn of peer-to-peer lending.
devil.gif

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
plain.gif

for real?

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't speak on the trustworthiness of that particular site, but these types of person-to-person lending sites are becoming more popular. From an article on these:

Prosper and several other "person-to-person lending" sites operated like an eBay for credit: Prospective borrowers put up requests for loans, disclosed their credit rating and the reason they needed the money, and tried to make a case for lenders to take a chance on their dream"”at attractive premiums...

By putting lenders directly in touch with borrowers"”rather than through the banking system"”person-to-person lending sites claim that they can cut down on overhead costs, thereby making it cheaper to lend to people with poor credit.
The SEC cracked down on some for some technicalities, but there is money to be had from these it seems. Take note all you financial wonks posting on here trying to get rich quick!

Reborn

Reaction score
The main issue I've seen with these lending sites has been a lack of liquidity/long lockups.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reborn
The main issue I've seen with these lending sites has been a lack of liquidity/long lockups.

Exactly. They claim that any note can be sold in less than 5 business days, but they also encourage buying hundreds of notes to diversify. Selling out of that many notes sounds...complicated.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imatlas
Exactly. They claim that any note can be sold in less than 5 business days, but they also encourage buying hundreds of notes to diversify. Selling out of that many notes sounds...complicated.

This is all I need to hear to be sure this is a goldmine. All things arcane and complicated yield money, at least this is what Wall Street teaches us.

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
9%? Really? you're beating the average market gain..

mintyfresh

Reaction score
I've put in only a small amount ($3k) in this the past two years and haven't had a default on any of the accounts I've lent to. I only invest in A and B grade borrowers with background checks. I get about a 6% return after commission. Not bad considering a 2 year CD at local banks are just above 1%.

As previously mentioned, the illiquid aspect of these 'investments' are the biggest downside for me.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mintyfresh
I've put in only a small amount ($3k) in this the past two years and haven't had a default on any of the accounts I've lent to. I only invest in A and B grade borrowers with background checks. I get about a 6% return after commission. Not bad considering a 2 year CD at local banks are just above 1%.

As previously mentioned, the illiquid aspect of these 'investments' are the biggest downside for me.

Thanks Minty!

How do you get out? Do you have to wait for all of your investments to come to term?

Do you use the automatic purchasing tool, or do you go through and hand pick the loans that you fund?

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been using LC for about 2 years, I am currently earning just under 9% after fees/defaults on a portfolio of >700 loans. Overall pretty happy with it so far.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics