• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lending Club

KPO89

Reaction score
Has either of you physically seen the cash or is it just a number on the screen?

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As borrowers make payments each month, it shows up in your account under "available cash" which you can then transfer back to your bank account at any time. However I generally reinvest it, because otherwise I'm not earning any interest on it.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dtmt
As borrowers make payments each month, it shows up in your account under "available cash" which you can then transfer back to your bank account at any time. However I generally reinvest it, because otherwise I'm not earning any interest on it.

Have you ever sold notes? I worry that there is significant and poorly defined market risk associated with these notes if I need the capital in less than 36 months.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Early on I tried selling a note just to see what would happen. It was an A-grade note and I priced it at 1% above face value (to make up the 1% selling fee). It sold pretty quickly, within a day or two. I think a lot of the demand comes from states in which LC has not yet received approval to operate its main site, so I don't know if that will decrease as they receive approval in these states. I'd expect there will always be a demand for A-grade notes though, as they often sell out on the main site fairly quickly. Having said that though, I personally wouldn't invest money in LC if I thought there was a good chance I would need it in less that 36 months.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dtmt
Early on I tried selling a note just to see what would happen. It was an A-grade note and I priced it at 1% above face value (to make up the 1% selling fee). It sold pretty quickly, within a day or two. I think a lot of the demand comes from states in which LC has not yet received approval to operate its main site, so I don't know if that will decrease as they receive approval in these states. I'd expect there will always be a demand for A-grade notes though, as they often sell out on the main site fairly quickly. Having said that though, I personally wouldn't invest money in LC if I thought there was a good chance I would need it in less that 36 months.

Which means you're also betting that bond yields won't rise significantly over the next few years, so that LC notes remain more attractive than bonds.

DrCooke

Reaction score
I put about 250-300 in it over the past year. Currently I've been receiving around 7.00 a month (big money) and put into my bank account. Not too bad. So it's definitely legit.

coop86

Reaction score
It does seem like a better place to put money than a savings account, but I'm pretty sure you're in for some trouble if the Fed raises rates. I'm surprised some investment bank isn't buying these up by the 1,000s and trying to sell them like MBSs.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coop86
It does seem like a better place to put money than a savings account, but I'm pretty sure you're in for some trouble if the Fed raises rates. I'm surprised some investment bank isn't buying these up by the 1,000s and trying to sell them like MBSs.

Apparently some private portfolio managers have been buying these by the millions (or so LC claims). I'm sure it's only a matter of time before somebody comes up with a way to securitize them.

If you're solely in it for the income, rising interest rates shouldn't hurt too badly, but it will make reselling of notes more difficult, lowering yield if you're actively trading them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads