• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was just about to come in and say. The wrapover shirt is great. Jumpsuit in 3 colours.
I'd go for a Large as somebody who is typically 50-52 / L-XL, but with the volume it might be better to get a Medium. I'm going to wait until some retailers get the jumpsuit and wrapover shirt to check sizing.
But i did just order the sun hat.

EDIT: Jumpsuit actually says if your usual size is a 50, order an M.

Bottari

Reaction score
Ballerinas just landed, I’m saying with the quality of the leather and the overall details.

confirmed that they fit a bit looser than the Chinese Slippers.

here paired with twisted denim and old short parka

Attachments

• F4F6A483-B847-419A-973D-84E17187E563.jpeg
    F4F6A483-B847-419A-973D-84E17187E563.jpeg
    105 KB · Views: 287

Ciaostyle

Reaction score
Because of all the poor things I’ve heard about Lemaire footwear, I was wondering if anyone has experience with their camera and/or croissant bags? I’d love to get one but I’m hoping that the leather and construction are better quality than what they use for their shoes (I presume they would use different leathers).

Having purchased 8 Lemaire bags over the years. The quality is great (especially the molded egg bag). However, I have been observing small things they do to cut production cost.

Ciaostyle

Reaction score

1. It seems like they have been cutting cost on dustbags over the years (On the left is a dustbag from a bag purchased 4 years ago made of luxurious and heavy cotton twill; the dust bag in the middle is made of a thin cotton fabric with polyester filling to add protection. The dust bag on the right is from a FW2020 bag and they ditched the polyester filling and now it feels quite flimsy compared to previous versions, you can probably see how sheer it is.)
20210219_201502.jpg

2. Their leather bags used to be produced by manufacturers in France/Italy but most have since moved to Spain a few years ago. I am not saying it compromised the quality because Loewe as a famous leather brand produce their stuff in Spain as well. This is just coming from an operating cost POV. Especially when their products' retail prices have gone up quite a bit, I am guessing they are trying to achieve higher margins (not sure if that was related to Uniqlo's investment a while ago and they require a certain level of ROI) or to compensate higher operating expenses while opening new stores across Asia.

Just speculating here. If anyone here works for Lemaire, feel free to chime in.

Last edited:

armellod.e

Reaction score
I haven't been around as long as others here, but I've had the impression concerns about raising margins are somewhat mistaken...the earliest Lemaire info I saved as an aspirational high school student (about 8 years ago?) had shirts retailing at $400+, pants at $700+, etc. I have a couple items from the CL days which are well made, but they have very different patterns...I wonder how sensible it is to compare those items with designs from the last 5 years or so, far more of which are modeled on vintage patterns... I would guess large collar synthetic blend summer shirts probably seem to wear out faster than the rustic artisan-type designs from before because of the way they are worn.

I've never bought Lemaire bags so I'll take your word for it, I know the brand has offered some designs like the cartridge bag for a decade or more. If they were roughly the same price then, and made in more limited numbers in French or Florentine workshops...I find it hard to imagine a scenario where a compromise wouldn't be made to continue production in larger numbers, accommodating for the things you mention. I like the subtle updates made to the labels, boxes, dustbags, etc. over the years, I think the shinier tags are pretty and match the newer design cues. But that's probably me drinking the brand kool aid.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are all the leather goods made in Spain now? Or does Il bussetto still make the card cases and coin pouch and those?

Ciaostyle

Reaction score
Are all the leather goods made in Spain now? Or does Il bussetto still make the card cases and coin pouch and those?
Maybe with the exception of the Carlos bag, I think even most Il bussetto-style products are made in Spain now.
Lemaire card case
Molded Taco bag
Molded Keyholder

To @armellod.e's point, I guess they could have switched to another manufacturer with their products because of capacity issues when they are scaling up. And I was just speaking to the price of the leather products, I think the price point for the clothes have been fairly consistent.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads