Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Leica X1

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by farfisa23, Sep 9, 2009.

1. farfisa23

farfisa23 Senior member

2. videocrew

videocrew Senior member

I'd rather have a GF1, great lens comes with it, but you can swap it out for something else if you need it too.

3. Toiletduck

Toiletduck Senior member

It looks insanely awesome.

4. origenesprit

origenesprit Senior member

My dad is getting one.

5. milosz

milosz Senior member

The specs look brilliant, the pocket digital everyone has been waiting for, but $2k? I'll wait to see how M8 prices fare after the M9 is in full release - if they drop to the $2500-3k range, I'll be interested.

6. origenesprit

origenesprit Senior member

The specs look brilliant, the pocket digital everyone has been waiting for, but $2k? I'll wait to see how M8 prices fare after the M9 is in full release - if they drop to the $2500-3k range, I'll be interested.

M8's are 2k on eBay

7. yfyf

yfyf Affiliate vendor Affiliate Vendor

I thought the X1 was really impressive. I wonder who did the electronics design for them since it seems like this is a 100% new design. It was what the Sigma DP1 and the Ricoh GR III really should have been, so it's an exciting little device. I'm guessing the sensor is a Samsung? 1.5 crop and Live View (since it behaves like a P&S if necessary).

I've noticed there's quite a bit of misunderstanding with the spec, it's not a true 24mm FOV, it's a 24mm lens mounted on a 1.5x sensor, so it has an FOV of 35mm.

8. farfisa23

farfisa23 Senior member

I thought the X1 was really impressive. I wonder who did the electronics design for them since it seems like this is a 100% new design. It was what the Sigma DP1 and the Ricoh GR III really should have been, so it's an exciting little device. I'm guessing the sensor is a Samsung? 1.5 crop and Live View (since it behaves like a P&S if necessary).

I've noticed there's quite a bit of misunderstanding with the spec, it's not a true 24mm FOV, it's a 24mm lens mounted on a 1.5x sensor, so it has an FOV of 35mm.

What's the crop on the GF1's 20mm pancake, or for that matter, the pancake on the EP-1? Is it 1.5x too?

9. yfyf

What's the crop on the GF1's 20mm pancake, or for that matter, the pancake on the EP-1? Is it 1.5x too?

Crop is 2x

Your FOV on the X1 should be identical to the E-P1's 17mm (=34mm)

The 20mm will be quite tight (=40mm), some people like that some people don't. I personally prefer FOV's 24-35.

10. yfyf

11. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I hate Leica.

12. farfisa23

farfisa23 Senior member

I hate Leica.

Is there a reason? I would think it's opulence and price tag would make you swoon, are you more of an Alpa guy?

13. farfisa23

farfisa23 Senior member

Crop is 2x

Your FOV on the X1 should be identical to the E-P1's 17mm (=34mm)

The 20mm will be quite tight (=40mm), some people like that some people don't. I personally prefer FOV's 24-35.

I want to start shooting only with one lens, a wide angle. I've used the zoom on my G9 exactly twice in two years.

I'm thinking the pancake for the Lumix GH1, while fast, isn't wide enough. I need to pay with EP-1 and the GH1, stat.

I am sold on the X1, site unseen.

14. yfyf

Panasonic has a 14mm(=28mm equiv) 2.8 pancake on the roadmap, I forget for when. You may want that lens instead of the 20mm or the 17mm.

The GH1 is cool and the EVF on that is very nice.

I too, pine for the X1. It's pricey at 2k but not absurdly so. (I can't believe I'm saying this).

A good, mid-range DSLR body, say a Pentax K7 or Canon 50D will set you back around 1k, just over 1k. If the 24mm is truly a Leica standard lens, it should be on par with Pentax limited lenses or Canon L lenses at about 500 to 1k. Obviously you lose certain features with the X1, proper viewfinder for one, but for such a small package and really, a very niche product, it's a pretty reasonable price.

The M8 and M9 however make baby Jesus cry.

15. milosz

milosz Senior member

If I sold all my other cameras and lenses, I could pay cash for an M9. Unfortunately, the photography that brings in (minimal) income (architectural) for me requires the D700.

I'd like to amend my "win the lottery" post - it would be me, a Macbook Pro, a high-end Land Rover or similar and M9.