1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

legal rights to a 'found' item

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jgold47, Nov 24, 2009.

1. jgold47

jgold47 Senior member

lets say I found something in a parking lot where there was no reasonable way to associate the item with a particular store. a mall parking lot for example, or a vacant building. What are my rights to the item? Finders Keepers? now, what if there is a way to track the item, both forward and reverse, and say down the line someone comes looking for it?

I found an Ipod in a parking lot, but before I plug it into itunes, I want to know if its mine if they use itunes to track it back?

2. Jumbie

Jumbie Senior member

I would assume that if there is no way to trace the item and no one claims it then finder's keepers.

However, even if the item is legally yours and they can use iTunes to track it (I don't think this is possible although I know the iPhone has some kind of tracking; possibly through an app) then it would be a dick move to keep it.

It still burns me to this day that I didn't get so much as a thank you (ungrateful bastards) that a couple years ago I found a wallet in the parking lot with several hundred dollars in it and drove a couple miles out of my way to return it. Was near to Christmas and was snowing which annoys me even more however I still do it if ever in such a situation again.

Obviously not the same scenario but I think the principle of the matter still holds. What if it were your iPod and you were able to trace it and the person says "Finders keepers. Too bad, so sad."

3. scarphe

scarphe Senior member

ig you are worried abotu it being tracked by big brother though i doubt he can yet. proepar everyting and whe you are abotu plug in the ipod simply take ou computer off the internet load the soang files etc and do nto charge it from your computer. thoseactiosn should stop big brother from findign you.

4. jgold47

jgold47 Senior member

I would assume that if there is no way to trace the item and no one claims it then finder's keepers.

However, even if the item is legally yours and they can use iTunes to track it (I don't think this is possible although I know the iPhone has some kind of tracking; possibly through an app) then it would be a dick move to keep it.

It still burns me to this day that I didn't get so much as a thank you (ungrateful bastards) that a couple years ago I found a wallet in the parking lot with several hundred dollars in it and drove a couple miles out of my way to return it. Was near to Christmas and was snowing which annoys me even more however I still do it if ever in such a situation again.

Obviously not the same scenario but I think the principle of the matter still holds. What if it were your iPod and you were able to trace it and the person says "Finders keepers. Too bad, so sad."

Jumbie - well put. Sometimes I am a bad person. Not sure what I will do. I have been reading up on this particular issue, and it seems that Apple which is the only person with the ability to look up Ipod ownership (and then only if it was either a) registered or b) used to purchase on itunes), is notorious for not helping people (why should they, you will go buy a new device). I will contemplate this over the weekend before doing anything with it.

5. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

Bring it to the police as a found item. If it goes unclaimed it is yours.

6. IUtoSLU

IUtoSLU Senior member

Found on public property - a found item that has been unintentionally lost/dropped/etc belongs first to the original/true owner that misplaced it, and second to the finder. If it is traceable or if you can find the original/true owner, you should return it to them. You should probably bring it to the police, as suggested above. If unclaimed, it may become yours.

7. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Bring it to the police as a found item. If it goes unclaimed it is yours.

lol. Yeah right. Cop gets a new iPod, and you don't even get a thank you.

8. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

9. HEWSINATOR

HEWSINATOR Senior member

Ohh, the wonderful world of finders law. Rely on wikipedia at own risk: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost,_m...doned_property Things get fuzzier when the property is found not on public land, but private property. See Trachuk v. Olinek A Canadian case where they find cash on a lease site (IIRC).

10. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

you did the right thing. i dont know if this helps and im sure you already know , but not because they are class people, but because you are, no matter what their classless responses would be to you, thanks or no thanks. dont let it burn you. im sure your kid or nephew or someone would take that story and grow from it and think [​IMG] of you.

11. Jumbie

Jumbie Senior member

^ cheers

I didn't do it for the thanks. I guess I just sort of expected it and can't get over the fact that someone wouldn't have the courtesy to say thank you to a complete stranger who did them a good deed.

12. bigboy

bigboy Senior member

Usually these things can be traced back to the rightful owner using DNA fingerprinting analysis.

What do you need with a used condom anyway?

13. nerdykarim

nerdykarim Senior member

14. Toiletduck

Toiletduck Senior member

I have returned 2 handphones, 1 blackberry in the past 3 years.

Its the bloody right thing to do! Fuck you bitches who don't return handphones when you find them.

15. dcg

dcg Senior member

You can buy your own iPod for a couple hundred bucks. Not worth feeling like an asshole every time you pull the thing out of your pocket.

At least make an attempt to find the owner. Put up some fliers in the area; if someone can name a bunch of the songs on it you know they're the real owner. If no one contacts you, at that point you don't have to feel bad about keeping it.

Wouldn't bother with the police. Who goes to the police station to look for their lost iPod anyway?

16. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

possession is 9/10 ownership.

17. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

^ cheers

I didn't do it for the thanks. I guess I just sort of expected it and can't get over the fact that someone wouldn't have the courtesy to say thank you to a complete stranger who did them a good deed.

Once, I returned a phone by mail. Supposedly I would get the postage returned...

On the other hand, I've had my wallet returned to me at least 15 times (truly) when I forgot it in the canteen of the Universtity library. Always in order. At least twice with the rent money (around €450,-) in it.

18. DNW

DNW Senior member

I once lost my school bag 2 weeks before the finals of my senior year in undergrad. It had all my study notes and other important school material. I was certain my life was fucked. [​IMG] A few days later, I received a letter in my inbox. A local doctor had found my bag on a sidewalk (I honestly have no idea how I lost that bag!), and somehow there was letter in there with my address in it, thus he was able to find me. I immediately drove to his office and got the bag, with everything still intact. I have kept that letter until this day, hoping that I will get an opportunity to pay the good doctor's karma forward one day. So, if there's a way for you to find out who the owner is, then give it back. If not, keep it. How do you do that? Post an ad on craigslist's electronics for sale section, and if the someone can give you certain identifying characteristics of the iPod, then give it back.

19. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

You should at least try to find the owner. I always thought that if you took it to the police station and it wasn't claimed in 30 days, it was yours. I'd feel like odd keeping it and would keep it in the lost and found.

If you found it in a parking lot, the obvious thing to do is to immediately return it to the largest business on the lot so that the person who lost it will come back and ask for it.