• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Legacy Watches

adagio

Reaction score
OK here's the deal...

You want to purchase (over time) two or three good watches that can be left to your kids when you are gone. Apart from being watches that you personally like, as you will be wearing them until you croak, the only other criterion is that the design must be classic enough so your kids won't be embarrassed to wear them in 30-40 years time (think about the horrible gold Rolex and PP models from the 1970s for example). What would you chose?

Some candidates, in my view, are:

Rolex Submariner in stainless steel

Rolex GMT Master in stainless steel

JLC Master Geographic

PP Calatrava 5296G in white gold

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by adagio
OK here's the deal...

You want to purchase (over time) two or three good watches that can be left to your kids when you are gone. Apart from being watches that you personally like, as you will be wearing them until you croak, the only other criterion is that the design must be classic enough so your kids won't be embarrassed to wear them in 30-40 years time (think about the horrible gold Rolex and PP models from the 1970s for example). What would you chose?

JLC Master Geographic

Personally, none of those.

I'd have an IWC Portuguese, Jaegar Reverso, and something super high end when I could afford it like an A Lange Sohne, Vacheron, etc.

While I think the Richard Mille watches are stunning I dont think they qualify as classics.

adagio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
Personally, none of those.

I'd have an IWC Portuguese, Jaegar Reverso, and something super high end when I could afford it like an A Lange Sohne, Vacheron, etc.

While I think the Richard Mille watches are stunning I dont think they qualify as classics.

I would have included a Lange 1, but I wonder if it will look at bit "off" in 30 years.

Khnelben

Reaction score
I don't think that Master Geographic qualifies. A simple Reverso - maybe .

But you can think Breitling Navitimer.

Some sort of Breguet for dress wear.

A Cartier.

Andrey

mrmax

Reaction score
I dont think so. I have a Lange 1 PT (Black face, blackout numerals) that they dont make anymore. I adore it.

Of course, then I had two girls.

Now my WIFE is collecting legacy watches!

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would have included a Lange 1, but I wonder if it will look at bit "off" in 30 years.

No way, I dont think so:

lange1_medium_a_101_021.jpg

But you could alway go with a more classic like a Richard Lange:

richlange_medium_a_232_021.jpg

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Any of the ones you listed will last with maintenance and care. But, if I were looking specifically for a watch to pass on to my son, I'd pick a time-only watch. Complicated pieces will present more maintenance issues and me become difficult to service in the future as manufacturers go under and the number of skilled watchmakers shrinks. Simple wins the race.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am really interested in this as well,mafoo,can you post some models and pictures perhaps?What do you have in mind?

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
OK here's the deal...

JLC Master Geographic

I would put Rolex more in the "timelessly tacky" category than the "timeless" one. I have a JLC Master World Georgraphic on my wrist right now though and love it.

Mark Anthony

Reaction score
I think the true legacy watch list could be quite large in fact.

90% of the population will only recognize Rolex as the best with Omega, TAG Heuer and maybe Longines as upper end and probably Tissot as just plain real good. Beyond that the average person simply will not recognize what is on your wrist even if it is a platinum Patek.

There are easily 25-30 outstanding watch companies in Switzerland and Germany (and maybe more) that have various models that qualify as timeless and will literlly last 50+ years with modest upkeep. And in fairness some Seikos and English brands are nothing to be embarrased by.

And some of these legacy quality watches can be had for under $1000 (automatic and all).

I agree with Mafoo about simplicity being lower risk and also being the safest as far as never being out of favor asthetically.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark Anthony
90% of the population will only recognize Rolex as the best with Omega, TAG Heuer and maybe Longines as upper end and probably Tissot as just plain real good. Beyond that the average person simply will not recognize what is on your wrist even if it is a platinum Patek.

Thankfully criminals dont recognize them either

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, a simple JLC Reverso is the ultimate heirloom watch, especially if the back is engraved (with the family initial, for example)

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark Anthony
I think the true legacy watch list could be quite large in fact.

There are easily 25-30 outstanding watch companies in Switzerland and Germany (and maybe more) that have various models that qualify as timeless and will literlly last 50+ years with modest upkeep. And in fairness some Seikos and English brands are nothing to be embarrased by.

And some of these legacy quality watches can be had for under $1000 (automatic and all).

I agree with Mafoo about simplicity being lower risk and also being the safest as far as never being out of favor asthetically.

That's the nice thing about watches. People who really appreciate them can wear great watches without looking "flashy," since the only people who will recognize what a great watch it is are other people who share their interest.

nathan

Reaction score
Not to hijack this thread, but is there a poor man's version of the IWC Portuguese Chrono-Automatic?
I like the classic look of that watch but am in no position to afford it at this point in my life.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads