• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leg Opening and Shoelaces

onetwothree

Reaction score
Hi,
New to this forum, been browsing a bit. Not very familiar with more formal dress conventions, and I was wondering: Is there a set rule regarding the size of your pant leg opening in relation to your shoe/shoelaces? I've a pair of slim fit pants, 8" opening, and a pair of derbies, size 9.5. The pant is long enough to touch the shoe, and it sits on top of the knot of the shoelace. Is this fine? It looks a little weird, probably because I am not used to such slim fitting pants. Please forgive my ignorance.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pictures will serve better than just descriptions, imo.

my personal preference is have normal pants openings sitting at the middle eyelet and narrow pants sitting at the top eyelets. so i guess you are fine, maybe try a different knot?

oh and btw, supposedly the rule is to have leg openings covering 2/3 of your shoe. but i dislike the idea of baggy/full cut pants.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onetwothree
Hi,
New to this forum, been browsing a bit. Not very familiar with more formal dress conventions, and I was wondering: Is there a set rule regarding the size of your pant leg opening in relation to your shoe/shoelaces? I've a pair of slim fit pants, 8" opening, and a pair of derbies, size 9.5. The pant is long enough to touch the shoe, and it sits on top of the knot of the shoelace. Is this fine? It looks a little weird, probably because I am not used to such slim fitting pants. Please forgive my ignorance.

Two things to bear in mind

1) Personal preference - what looks good to your eye. I think this should have priority over most other considerations, but you do need to train (and trust!) your eye a little to appreciate details before being able to do this.
2) Proportionality - the slimmer the trouser, the narrow the hem will be and so the shorter the leg should be to keep things in aesthetic balance. There are exceptions to this rule of course - stacking on slim jeans; or oxford bags within hardly any break being two opposites that spring to mind. But in those cases the classical rules are being broken for a reason, to create a specific look. Knowing when and how to break the rules goes back to point one.

I agree with ascorbicacid in his post above - pics would help with giving more useful advice.

onetwothree

Reaction score
As advised, here are some pics. I should probably also add that I need this to wear to a "business semi-formal" event. Does that change anything?

How to get them altered? Or should I buy new pants?
Thanks

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they look fine for a slim fitting pants. but you probably would need to hem them (to no break or half break) because the pants are way too long. cuffs would be personal preference.

oh, and the definition of business semi-formal varies company to company... for some firms business semi-formal means khaki + polo and suit without tie for others.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As advised, here are some pics. I should probably also add that I need this to wear to a "business semi-formal" event. Does that change anything?

How to get them altered? Or should I buy new pants?
Thanks

Only you know the tone of your business semi-formal events.

Those are quite slim trousers with narrow leg openings. That makes them a little less conservative than some businesses like, but most people & businesses won't care. If you keep them, they need considerable shortening, probably to just a whisper of a break I think.

mattyb124

Reaction score
Get them hemmed they are to long. IMO slim fit trousers need to have only a little break.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The title of this post had me a tad confused, then I remembered that we're not in Australia anymore.
laugh.gif

1.\t leg opener\t
"Gift" for your date to get her drunk to ensure a root. Usually cheap wine.
Took her out to the park with a cheap bottle o' leg opener, worked a charm mate!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...erm=leg+opener

onetwothree

Reaction score
Thanks all for the advice; I will take to hemming them immediately. I am still a student and the event is a sort of "corporate mingle," where we are able to meet and talk with a bunch of business professionals. It's my first event so I haven't been exposed much to the world of business dress, yet.

Is it possible to expand leg openings? Or is that more trouble than it's worth?

JustinW, were we not on SF, I probably would've thought something similar.
tounge.gif

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to expand leg openings? Or is that more trouble than it's worth?

depending on the amount of fabrics left inside the pants. it's more trouble than its worth.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads