• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lefty's random dog thread.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude is yipping and running in his sleep. Loves the aircon in my office on hot days.

1657586300443.png

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A while back, I posted in this thread to express my surprise that the Cane Corso was 41st in AKC popularity. Lately, I've been seeing more and more of them. Still, I was somewhat dumbfounded to see that it has now risen to 21st in AKC registrations. It is interesting that most of the erstwhile rare-breed "molossers" that first came to public attention in the 1980s or early '90s are now full AKC. The Corso is hands-down the most popular of the lot. Conspicuous by their absence are the Tosa Inu, Fila Brasileiro and Presa Canario. Most Tosas now in the USA seem to come from Eastern European breeders. A large male imported by a friend of mine from Ukraine attacked her semi-invalid husband in a textbook case of Sudden Onset Rage Syndrome. I had never heard of that in a Tosa--it would be really terrifying. However, I always suspected the purity of that dog--from his size and wrinkle, I conjectured that he might have English Mastiff or something else not far upline. The dog was put down, sadly but predictably.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A while back, I posted in this thread to express my surprise that the Cane Corso was 41st in AKC popularity. Lately, I've been seeing more and more of them. Still, I was somewhat dumbfounded to see that it has now risen to 21st in AKC registrations. It is interesting that most of the erstwhile rare-breed "molossers" that first came to public attention in the 1980s or early '90s are now full AKC. The Corso is hands-down the most popular of the lot. Conspicuous by their absence are the Tosa Inu, Fila Brasileiro and Presa Canario. Most Tosas now in the USA seem to come from Eastern European breeders. A large male imported by a friend of mine from Ukraine attacked her semi-invalid husband in a textbook case of Sudden Onset Rage Syndrome. I had never heard of that in a Tosa--it would be really terrifying. However, I always suspected the purity of that dog--from his size and wrinkle, I conjectured that he might have English Mastiff or something else not far upline. The dog was put down, sadly but predictably.
Breeder plays a large role in temper. My wife decided she wanted a Cane last year. She wanted a 150lb beast, but we have a sleek 90lb female that’s protective yet gentle.
C135A874-F332-4E9B-A5E1-7950260905A0.jpeg

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I missed this post.

Here's my very unscientific answer ... Cane Corso is a cooler name and no one could pronounce "Brasileiro".

As well as: it has a good bullshit history in this country; there were more Corsos than Presas initially; the Corso temperament was much more watered down compared to other molossers and therefore it was suitable for a variety of people; and it had a strong club behind it.

Did you see this article, @JLibourel?

lefty

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^The first Corso I ever saw was at a Pet Expo in 1989. I was with my second wife at that time. It was then called a "Branchiero Siciliano" (an even more difficult name than "Fila Brasileiro," methinks). I remember thinking it looked like a cool dog. It is interesting that Dr. Carl Semencic never mentioned the Corso in his second and third books. (The breed probably was non-existent at the time of his first book.) I wonder if he had a feud with Michael Sottile or something like that. Far from having a "strong" club, back when I was most interested in these matters (20 to 30 years ago), the Corso fancy in the USA was divided between two factions. The ICCF favored a larger dog, about 150 pounds, while its rival, the SACC (I think it was) favored smaller dogs, ca. 110 pounds, claiming that their smaller dogs represented the "true" Italian Cane Corso. I know the ICCF became the breed club affiliated with the UKC, which at the time was much more receptive to recognizing erstwhile "rare" breeds than the AKC. I must say that I am very glad to have put the whole world of dog clubs, dog politics, etc., behind me. Vicious, hateful people they were, most of them.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was there during all that, owning some of the first Corsos in Canada and co-writing the breed standard for the Canadian Ministry of Agriculture. Lot's of fights with the ICCF.

The other thing was the Sottile "Super Six" ad that ran in every issue of Dog World. That ad sold a lot of dogs and cemented the history. We've discussed this before but Sottile was a dog fighter and judge. Ed Hodas was a dog fighter. A lot of stuff was swept under the carpet in upstate NY back then when they discovered they could sell dogs for a fortune.

Oh well, I'm more into bird dogs these days, though I have been following a few working Bull Terriers with speed, athleticism and drive. Kind of like them.

lefty

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yo. Chief. This belly ain't gonna scratch itself.

IMG_0101.jpeg

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Happy birthday girl

BDCED202-D947-44AC-BBF9-370C4BFDA086.jpeg

badtime7

Reaction score
Hi lefty here. You can get some nice scissors, Kenchii make some good ones. Then again it's not the scissors it's the talent behind them. I saw Melanie Newman take a pair of off brand scissors and make a bichon look spectacular!

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just learned that an 80-year-old woman out for a stroll was attacked and killed by two Argentine Dogos in Baldy Mesa in San Bernadino County. Back when I was "into" the rare-breed "molossers," the Dogo had something of a reputation for human aggression, perhaps unusual in dog bred for hunting. They also had a bad reputation for dysplasia and deafness, so I was never much interested in them. I've met some just out and about in recent years, and they seemed like pretty level-headed dogs.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads