• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lefty's random dog thread.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I'm looking for another dog. Our Airedale is a doll, but she is getting on in years and I'd like a more energetic dog for the kids.

I'd like to stick with a terrier, maybe a smaller one than my current 80-pound female. But finding a good breeder is difficult, so many seem to focus on showing. And the internet of dog breeders is god awful, everybody seems to have made their website in 2002 and never updated it.

I'm considering a border collie, I have a friend that is involved in sheepdog competitions and he might have a lead.

I also thought about labradors, leading me to these guys. Does this seem sketchy to anyone?

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I couldn't get past two pages on that site. I wouldn't go that way.

Terrier, Border Collie, Lab are so different that it's hard to advise.

If you like the terrier temperament consider an Irish. Patterdale if you have the work for it and want big dog/little package.
Border Collie could drive you crazy. Matt got a ACD then had to go out and buy some livestock. Lab, I don't know. I would look for a hunting/field line as the show/pet dogs seem to be a little goofy to me.

lefty

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the beginning of Covid our 16 y/o terrier rescue mutt died. Of course, we began looking for a replacement right away but the only dogs around here were mean Pit Bulls or Chihuahuas. So, my wife began a months long search for dogs online. Our neighbors had a Morkie (Mix of Yorkshire Terrier and a Maltese), which she fell in love with so guess who had to have concierge air delivery of a new Morkie pup from St Louis to Santa Fe? Cute little guy, lots of energy and he has been a lot of work to train but we are finally seeing good results at 9 months old. The key has been socializing, 2 mile walks each morning and not allowing him to roam the house (for potty training).

By the way, if you believe in reincarnation you'll want to come back as my wife's dog.

Here we are at the Pecos ruins at the very southern tip of the Rocky Mountains.

IMG_5477.jpeg

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So I'm looking for another dog. Our Airedale is a doll, but she is getting on in years and I'd like a more energetic dog for the kids.

I'd like to stick with a terrier, maybe a smaller one than my current 80-pound female. But finding a good breeder is difficult, so many seem to focus on showing. And the internet of dog breeders is god awful, everybody seems to have made their website in 2002 and never updated it.

I'm considering a border collie, I have a friend that is involved in sheepdog competitions and he might have a lead.

I also thought about labradors, leading me to these guys. Does this seem sketchy to anyone?

Loved your Airedale , beautiful beast.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lefty (or anybody else) what is the word on these Indo-Pakistani "Bully Kuttas"? At least a couple of guys formerly prominent in the Tosa fancy seem to be very interested in them. A lot of the ones I've seen in photos look a helluva lot like Great Danes. I had never heard of them until recent years, and my first inclination is to regard them as another bandog variant. However, in antiquity India was famous for producing giant dogs capable of hunting wild boar and other dangerous game.

My experience with Tosas has left me soured on the "rare-breed" molossers--this fatuous quest to find the "unspoiled" breed, only to find them displaying the typical array of "big dog" health problems

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey Jan - can't help. I know nothing about the Bully Kutta. Type seems to be all over the place but maybe that's the point.

On another note, I was out with a Russian woman last night and she showed me some pics of her family's Ovcharkas from the farm.

Would not want to mess with one.

lefty

dacox

Reaction score
Yeah, I’m with Lefty. I’ve never been around one, but there seems to be a lot of variability with them.

On a side note, the reaction that the lady’s Ovcharka invoked is the same I get a lot when I’m out with my male boerboel. About 50% of the people are totally infatuated with him, and the other 50% will cross the street a block ahead to avoid any chance of a close encounter.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Where's your Boerboel from? I had a friend bring a few in to test. Nice looking dogs, very athletic, but poor nerves and couldn't hold up to pressure.

lefty

sood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

if your handle is an accurate representation of your geo location, then you may want to check out https://www.stoferslabs.com/; my cousin got their lab from them, he's two years now, has an amazing personality, is active, and is great with their daughter and extended family.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mando and Woody -- best buds and former kennel mates from the same rescue in the East Bay -- in a rare moment of repose, as they spend most of their time vigorously chewing on each other.

IMG_0322 3.jpg

Last edited:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We are a beagle household. Here is our late Sherlock joining us at a favorite restaurant.

He died at 18 years and 11 months this past July. We adopted him at 12 years. The vet warned us he had lung issues and probably wouldn't last a year. He was one of the two best beagles we've ever had. We are now on #8 ... and also have an inherited white boxer.
12184106_701683213299805_2633225528650583665_o-2-jpg.1750501

Attachments

• 12184106_701683213299805_2633225528650583665_o (2).jpg
    12184106_701683213299805_2633225528650583665_o (2).jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 88

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics