lefty's random dog thread.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lefty, Mar 22, 2009.

1. lefty

lefty Senior member

Lop off a leg.

lefty

2. lefty

lefty Senior member

Did a little more looking at that FB breeder in On and I like a lot of what I see.

She has a blog where she posted this pic of a winning FB from 1910.

[​IMG]

I think she's a nice looking dog. What's interesting is this note:

The dog that won is more of what I would call an inferior bully type:

[​IMG]

I looked at the sites you linked to. One had a "click to purchase" button and I would probably avoid them. I did like Stephlyn. A little surprised that a few breeders are feeding raw.

Get in touch with the breeder I suggested and see who they recommend.

lefty

3. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

4. madstaxbro

madstaxbro Senior member

I don't remember much about genetics/lineage, how do breeders prevent inbreeding over generations? Eventually you reach some breakdown from all the purebloods mixing eventually right?

5. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

6. lefty

lefty Senior member

I don't remember much about genetics/lineage, how do breeders prevent inbreeding over generations? Eventually you reach some breakdown from all the purebloods mixing eventually right?
    All purebred dogs are inbred. Some more tightly than others on big winning sires or lines which created strong type when it was needed (early days of dog shows) but also kept pushing certain breeds down an ever narrowing corridor. In the old days you had to have a very clear mind about who and what was in your ped, and how to use inbreeding and line breeding to reveal the good and the bad. Once you had a sense of what a dog throws you could then increase or decrease his influence and his ancestors influence on your line. But it was a lot of paper work. You did have Wright’s Coefficient of Inbreeding: [​IMG] - and now you have computers to sort it all out. Here's a layman's explanation:
    So now you can enter in two dogs names and have the ped search engines scour back 5 or 6 generations to determine your dogs COI. Breeding dogs is easy; breeding good dogs is a little more difficult. To answer your other question, it takes about three generations for average breeds to completely lose type and take the dogs into their "natural" state or the Pariah dog. [​IMG] lefty

7. areyounoob

areyounoob Active Member

This guy is a husky x border collie mix. I wish his fur was a bit thicker but it's okay. I like his "sleek spy" look. He really has a keen ear and eye.. one of our most intelligent dogs. Very clever one too. We had to put him on the leash cause the garbage truck was out and whenever the garbage truck comes by he goes haywire. This guy eats anything.. incredible speed when he absolutely bolts it. He catches birds and rabbits most of the time.

This girl is a shih tzu x polmeranian. She is one of the most noisiest dogs we have. Also, she feels an attachment to her ball. I don't know what it is with the ball but whenever it rolls under the couch or behind the TV all hell breaks loose. She barks and barks until she gets it.. and she claws at the couch. Is there anyway to calm her down?

We also have a labrador x boxer mix. I have no recent videos of her, but i will get a few done soon. This is our brightest dog. Our actual watch dog. She's never off the job to make sure we're all okay. A very territorial dog I must say. She loves going out for walks, running through the park, and swimming.

It's funny cause whenever one of the dogs is inside, the others share the work. Like if the Lab is inside, then the Husky would do all of the barking and protecting. The same can't be said about the Shih Tzu though, haha.

8. lefty

lefty Senior member

This girl is a shih tzu x polmeranian. She is one of the most noisiest dogs we have. Also, she feels an attachment to her ball. I don't know what it is with the ball but whenever it rolls under the couch or behind the TV all hell breaks loose. She barks and barks until she gets it.. and she claws at the couch. Is there anyway to calm her down?

Reward her with the ball only when she's calm. Progress from the ball in hand, to the floor, to under the sofa.

lefty

9. dcg

dcg Senior member

While we're posting vids - took the dog to work the other day and let her play with my boss's pup:
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Got in a good whack there at the end...[​IMG]

10. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

^^^ Did not load.

11. dcg

dcg Senior member

^Thx...should be working now (is for me, at least)

12. lefty

lefty Senior member

Got in a good whack there at the end...

"Lab mix" for the win.

lefty

13. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Got in a good whack there at the end...[​IMG]
    Looks like she got a good whack in there at the beginning as well.

14. limping_decorum

limping_decorum Senior member

15. dcg

dcg Senior member

"Lab mix" for the win.

lefty

Our joking about her breed aside, she has turned into much more of a guard dog than would have been expected. I'm pretty sure the office mailman will knock next time.