lefty's random dog thread.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lefty, Mar 22, 2009.

1. dcg

dcg Senior member

Here's the bitch - he had no idea I was there, he was just doing some target practice as they were coming at me.

That ups the pucker factor.

2. onion

onion Senior member

3. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Give me an idea of size, coat, activity level, family and living situation, temperament, and expectations of a dog and I'll be better able to suggest a breed. lefty
    large/largish, not too hairy (golden retriever = too hairy), condo life w/no family, temperment is a wash for me, and I'm assuming expectations is if I want to turn it into a hunting dog/guard dog/super wonder dog? If so then its irrelevant as I'd just like a good pet/buddy.

4. lefty

lefty Senior member

Boxer (look for a healthy line)
    Am Bulldog (there are many out there and it's easy to find a decent one)
    Bullmastiff (look for a working line)
    Dogo (if you want something exotic)
    Aus Cattle Dog (will keep you on your toes)
    Vizsla (cool dog)
    Ibizan (great jumper)
    Dobermann (I can point you in the right direction)
    Dogue de Bordeaux (hard to find a good one but chick magnet)

Any hit a nerve?

lefty

5. adambparker

adambparker Senior member

Saw a gorgeous 10 month old Cane Corso in Manhattan over the weekend with the worst hip dysplasia I have ever seen in a dog. It's hips were literally rolling forward in their sockets when it walked. The owner said it was a rescue they had gotten that week and that the rescue agency said inadequate diet was the reason for the terrible dysplasia (could that really be the explanation?).

Very sad, but a beautiful dog.

6. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Boxer (look for a healthy line) Am Bulldog (there are many out there and it's easy to find a decent one) Bullmastiff (look for a working line) Dogo (if you want something exotic) Aus Cattle Dog (will keep you on your toes) Vizsla (cool dog) Ibizan (great jumper) Dobermann (I can point you in the right direction) Dogue de Bordeaux (hard to find a good one but chick magnet) Any hit a nerve? lefty
    Several. Never heard of the bolded ones though. Why no lab, rott, or weimaraner? Everyone says they're great dogs. Do they have too many problems (health, behavior, etc.)?

7. lefty

lefty Senior member

Saw a gorgeous 10 month old Cane Corso in Manhattan over the weekend with the worst hip dysplasia I have ever seen in a dog. It's hips were literally rolling forward in their sockets when it walked. The owner said it was a rescue they had gotten that week and that the rescue agency said inadequate diet was the reason for the terrible dysplasia (could that really be the explanation?).

No. Breeding, maybe trauma. A poor diet would affect overall health.

Several. Never heard of the bolded ones though. Why no lab, rott, or weimaraner? Everyone says they're great dogs. Do they have too many problems (health, behavior, etc.)?

All breeds have health/temperament problems. You have to research well.

Lab - sheds like hell and stinks when wet. But if you like that look at a Chessie (cooler dog) or Curly Coat (way cooler dog).

Rott - good dog, should have mentioned them.

Weimaraner - I prefer the Viszla which is a slightly smaller red version.

Dogo Argentino:
    [​IMG]

Viszla:
    [​IMG]

Ibizan:
    [​IMG]

Dogue de Bordeaux:
    [​IMG]

lefty

8. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Ever heard of a field lab? I met a guy and that is what he called his dog. Tall, lean, and leggy for a lab. Maniacal retriever though.

9. lefty

lefty Senior member

^Lab that does what it's supposed to. They are lighter overall. Every show Lab I see looks fat.

lefty

10. fairholme_wannabe

fairholme_wannabe Senior member

Lab - sheds like hell and stinks when wet. But if you like that look at a Chessie (cooler dog) or Curly Coat (way cooler dog).

I grew up with a Chessie mix. Best dog ever...

11. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

Viszla: [​IMG]
    I know very little about dog breeding or lineages, but is there any relation between a Viszla and a Ridgeback? I grew around ridgies, love them, and want one of my own, but they're impractically large at the moment. The Viszla seems like (at least superficially, I haven't done any research yet) a healthy compromise. [​IMG]

12. lefty

lefty Senior member

Not very similar. RR is substantially larger has more of a protective nature. Vizsla is a light general purpose gundog. Both are nice dogs and I find the Vizsla beautiful. If you like ridges you may want to look at the Thai RB. [​IMG] lefty

13. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Thanks for the recommendations and info Lefty. I appreciate it. I was going to ask about the Ridgies next but I see that's covered above. Got a few more for you while we're on a roll:

How big is that Thai RB?
    And what's an RB?
    What's a gundog?

That Ibizan is a weird looking dog.

14. lefty

lefty Senior member

Thanks for the recommendations and info Lefty. I appreciate it. I was going to ask about the Ridgies next but I see that's covered above. Got a few more for you while we're on a roll:

How big is that Thai RB?
    And what's an RB?
    What's a gundog?

That Ibizan is a weird looking dog.

Google is your friend.

lefty

15. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

Here is my Penny at a couple of weeks old. She is a minpin chihauha mutt, came from a family who had a litter and was giving their pups away to good families.

She is really sweet and very smart. She is 3 years old now.

[​IMG]