lefty's random dog thread.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lefty, Mar 22, 2009.

1. dcg

dcg Senior member

Dog was outside running around with another pup last night and went full speed into the side of my dad's knee. [​IMG]

Looked pretty bad. He decided he was ok at the time, but isn't doing so hot today so is on his way to the hospital to get it checked out.

Anyway, I like to keep SF updated on all the dumb shit my dog does, so there you go.

2. lefty

lefty Senior member

I've seen a few knees taken out by dogs.

Paul Fierlinger has a new movie out. I met him years ago at an animation festival where he was presenting Teeny Little Super Guy. The sound went out prior to the screening so Fierlinger grabbed a mic and did the sound live. (Also saw June Foray and Bill Scott do this with an episode of Rocky and Bullwinkle.)

TLSG
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Anyway, the new film looks good and has a 92% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

[​IMG]

lefty

3. KJT

KJT Senior member

dog control....

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

what are these hounds called? are there breeds similar that have been bred to be household pets?

4. lefty

lefty Senior member

Some type of foxhound. There are many types of rare French hunting dogs so they could easily be one of those. My guess is that they are a very tight strain of a particular breed and not available anywhere other than this kennel.

Look at the American Foxhound, the English Foxhound, or the Harrier. However, hunting dogs make shitty pets unless you have a job for them to do. What is it about those dogs that appeals to you?

lefty

5. lefty

lefty Senior member

Bit of an unusual mount:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hog cut six dogs and killed one.

lefty

6. KJT

KJT Senior member

Some type of foxhound. There are many types of rare French hunting dogs so they could easily be one of those. My guess is that they are a very tight strain of a particular breed and not available anywhere other than this kennel.

Look at the American Foxhound, the English Foxhound, or the Harrier. However, hunting dogs make shitty pets unless you have a job for them to do. What is it about those dogs that appeals to you?

lefty

Curiosity more than anything. My grandfather in France used to hunt deer on horseback with dogs like that and when visiting them while growing up, I always thought they were very impressive dogs. I'm not planning on getting one, it's enough work to keep my 1.5 y/o lab tired and occupied.

7. lefty

lefty Senior member

Pics of your grandfather's dogs would be great.

lefty

8. KJT

KJT Senior member

I'll see what I can do.

9. shademore

shademore Senior member

Bit of an unusual mount:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hog cut six dogs and killed one.

lefty

where was this boar "taken"? any idea?

10. lefty

lefty Senior member

I believe the taxidermy was done in Missouri but I don't know where the boar was taken.

lefty

11. dcg

dcg Senior member

I've seen a few knees taken out by dogs.

Fortunately, he got a cortisone shot and is good to go.

My boss is thinking about getting a dog...an English Springer Spaniel. Not sure what led him to the breed. I did a search in this thread, and only saw them mentioned with comments regarding "Sudden Onset Rage Syndrome" - ordinarily I'd suspect this was something made up by tv reporters, but since it was mentioned by JLib I assume it's legit. How much of a concern is there here?

He's looking at bench lines, not field lines. Lives in the city. He's a pretty active guy. Other than that, don't know what he's looking for in a dog.

12. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

You can do a search for Sudden Onset Rage Syndrome, SORS or Sudden Onset Aggression to find out more about this. Some researchers consider this to be merely a manifestation of extreme dominance aggression rather than a psychotic seizure. In either event, Springers are one of the foremost examples of this syndrome. Apparently, it only manifests itself in show/bench lines, not in the field lines.

There are several Springers in my neighborhood. I get real bad vibes off them--the glaring stares, the challenging body language, etc.--and give them a wide berth with my puppy, even though at 11 months he'd probably be more than a match for any Springer. I've heard of Springers whipping Dobermans.

Your boss might be wise to consider a Welsh Springer instead.

13. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I've never met a spaniel breed of any type that I liked. They've all been standoffish and aggressive.

14. lefty

lefty Senior member

I would suggest a Brittany. Even the show lines seem like decent dogs.

I know two Springers from the same line and they are very wound up and a pain in the ass to live with.

lefty

15. dcg

dcg Senior member

Thanks for the advice. I learned this morning that when he came to me yesterday and said "talk me out of getting a dog", what he meant was "I put a deposit down on a dog and am picking her up next weekend". This seems to have come somewhat out of the blue. The pup will be spending quite a bit of time in the office, so I'm sure I'll get to know her well. I did mention rage syndrome, which he had heard of and did not seem overly concerned about (something about how it can't be as bad as anything a pit bull would do). Given that I had not heard of it (or looked into this breed) until yesterday, any amount of research he's done is likely beyond my own, though I did find the following article: http://www.essfta.org/health_research/aggression.htm As he's made up his mind, all that's left to do is to hope for the best. I'm looking forward to having a dog in the office.