• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lefty's random dog thread.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I remember this woman (Nancy Koper) from years ago during the days of the Cane Corso Pages - http://www.canecorsonancy.com/index.htm She seemed to have nice dogs. Some Russian corsi. Nice looking group:
7756bf9f63b7.jpg
f4472563d688.jpg
789719575449.jpg
Good head:
da13bc1b56d4.jpg
lefty

HollandLands

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself to you.
My name is Mariska and I am from the Netherlands.
By chance I found this topic on the Internet and decided to become a member on this board.
I'm an avid doglover and me and my partner are breeding Tosa's as from 1998 and owning them since 1994.
Besides dogs we also own some American Miniature horses and Welsh ponies.

Take care,

Mariska

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hi,

Jan is the Tosa expert here. Please post some pics of your dogs.

lefty

HollandLands

Reaction score
Hi Lefty,

That was the main reason why I became a member of this board, to get in contact with jan Libourel.

PICT0148.jpg

one of our young girls

100_0223.jpg

another pic of her

Ekkieavatar.jpg

My boy (died of bloat in 2008)

000_0210.jpg

One of our males at 7 months of age

cid_008001c67bf55d2be6c01602a8c0hie.jpg

And another headshot of Ekkie

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know much about Tosas but that ***** seems quite nice to me. Clean, solid and capable-looking.

Sorry about your dog. Bloat is a lousy way to lose an animal.

lefty

HollandLands

Reaction score
She is very nice indeed, she is the clown in our house.
Yes bloat is a terrible thing...I found him dead on the kitchen floor.

I guess you also own dogs?/ (silly question LOL)

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's unfortunate.

I co-own a few dogs but am having trouble getting a new personal dog as I travel a lot. What I'd like is a decent Boxer out of European working lines: Germany, Belgium, Italy, France, Spain. I've seen some nice dogs in The Netherlands. The search goes on . . .

lefty

HollandLands

Reaction score
I guess if you are looking for the "old-school" Boxers one of the best (in my modest opinion) breeders here in Holland must have been "van Worikben". His dogs were awesome; just recently I saw a website of (if I remember correctly) an Italian breeder who has preserved the Van Worikben bloodlines, allmost all other breeders have drifted far away from that blood.
What you see here mostly are not the Boxers that were bred 10 or 20 years ago. No bodies, small heads, just not the athlete a Boxer should be.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My new black Tosa puppy is a relative of Mariska's black Tosa. (Surprised she didn't post a picture him.) He is a half-grand-nephew of her dog. He is probably related in various ways to some of her other dogs.

He is temperamentally far different from the other Tosas I have owned, being far rowdier and more mischievous. His dam (unrelated AFAIK to Mariska's dogs) come from lines that I suspect are heavily spiked with Pit Bull blood. Once he learns that I am NOT a chew toy, he should become a very satisfactory dog.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HollandLands
I guess if you are looking for the "old-school" Boxers one of the best (in my modest opinion) breeders here in Holland must have been "van Worikben". His dogs were awesome; just recently I saw a website of (if I remember correctly) an Italian breeder who has preserved the Van Worikben bloodlines, allmost all other breeders have drifted far away from that blood.
What you see here mostly are not the Boxers that were bred 10 or 20 years ago. No bodies, small heads, just not the athlete a Boxer should be.

Then your Boxers in Holland sound like most American Boxers, sad to say. The American Boxers strike me as being, in general, very "hyper" dogs with low trainability.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes. Boxers used to look like this:
lustig.jpg
But now, unfortunately, US Boxers are a mess. The great Cas van Workiban:
2he9hz6.jpg
Here he is as an elder:
grey.jpg
A solid Cas descendant:
portos_test.jpg
Do you have a link to the Italian kennel? lefty

HollandLands

Reaction score
No, the Van Worikben breeder, Mr. Piet van Melis, died a few years ago but before that he stopped breeding Boxers for many years. The last breed he had was the Neapolitan Mastiff.
One of his most famous Mastino males I would never ever forget: Lumeloris.
Let me see if I can find the link Lefty.

One of Van Worikben's most famous boxers was World Ch. Casper van Worikben.

HollandLands

Reaction score
Lefty, here is the link.
Its odd, I thought this was an Italian kennel but I am not sure.
To me its quite an intriging website, they have the old and modern type of Boxer but the funpart with this kennel is they sure know what they are talking about.
The Boxer I was talking about, Arkan, has Tenor de Loermo blood in his lines. Tenor de Loermo was a Spanish-bred Boxer owned by Van Worikben and perhaps his most famous dog.

http://www.euro-boxer.com/dogs/pedig...ain/arkan.html

Make sure you read the extended news page: there's also some American Boxers in it, they are so different.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads