1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

lefty's random dog thread.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lefty, Mar 22, 2009.

1. dacox

dacox Senior Member

None of this makes sense. First of all, there is no federal ban on any dog breed in the U.S. There are even states that specifically prohibit local governments from creating bans based on breed and from declaring certain breeds as dangerous. The U.S. is not a country that overly regulates dog ownership. And are you suggesting that it is it someone other than politicians that pass banned breed legislation outside of the U.S.? Does the U.S. have fewer responsible owners than other countries? If anything, the dogs that I've seen are treated, on average, as good or better here in the U.S. than most places I have been.

There will be a percentage of irresponsible dog owners everywhere, not just the U.S. That is unavoidable and part of the reason why these bans exist in the first place. They also exist because certain breeds are just more capable of inflicting serious injury than others. From a politicians perspective (using my dog as an example), no Boerboels means no Boerboel attacks. As a Boerboel owner who knows firsthand that they can make wonderful, friendly, sociable companions, I do not necessarily agree with banning them, but I can appreciate that there is some thought that goes in to making the decision to create a ban. The downside is that it prevents responsible owners from owning some really great breeds. I also wonder if banning certain breeds actually significantly reduces number of overall attacks or if it just shifts the number of incidents from one breed to another non-banned one.

2. JLibourel

JLibourel Distinguished Member

I was out watering the lawn this morning when a nice older Dutch woman came by walking a wolf hybrid. I was able to converse with her a bit in her native language. (I have run into Dutch people three times in the past month or so.) The hybrid was beautiful animal--looked almost totally like a wolf, except for the eyes, which were more doglike. She seemed like a very friendly, placid beast. I know that wolf-hybrids have an evil reputation (almost worse than the dreaded APBT) and are proscribed by law in various jurisdictions. However, many of those that I have met have been nicer "dogs" than many dogs I have crossed paths with.

Of course, there is a lot of fraud in the hybrid game, with a lot of husky and shepherd mixes being palmed off as "hybrids" when they are simply dogs. However, this animal sure looked like a wolf, whatever he true provenance.

3. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Distinguished Member

Anyone notice differences in coat and joint health by feeding a high EPA/DHA diet?

4. JLibourel

Had the worst dog encounter of my life yesterday. I was walking in a nearby park when I encountered two friends of mine with their large dark brindle boxer mix. I had been on good terms with the dog but hadn't seen him in about a year. We all greeted each other warmly, and I said "Hi" to the dog and beckoned him to me. The dog came running up to me and sprang up (playfully, I first thought!). Instead, the ferocious brute latched onto my right forearm and began ripping it with his teeth, growling savagely all the while. Fortunately, we were able to get him off quickly. Even more fortunately, I escaped with no more damage than quite a bit of lacerated skin, no muscle, tendon or nerve damage. If those people don't put that dog down, I think they will be great fools.

5. JLibourel

I just saw reports on an incident in Virginia in which a 21-year-old woman was presumably killed and partially consumed by her two "pit bulls." Friends of the victim who also knew the dogs deny they could have done this horrible thing, but officials seemed pretty convinced that it was not a homicide and that the dogs were the killers. Since the dogs were reported to weigh about 125 pounds each (about the same as the victim), I would have to question whether they were true pit bulls but rather bandogs of some sort. From the photos the dogs didn't look like pure APBTs to me (neither the pet/show or the performance type). I have had mixed experiences with bandogs. Some of them scared the pants off me! (And those of you who have followed this thread for any length know I am certainly not particularly afraid of big, tough, fighting breed dogs--I shared my bed with them for many years.) However, I have met other bandogs whose hearts were as big as they were. Awhile back in this thread we discussed Swinford's "Bantu," who was more or less the archetypal bandog. A friend of mine who knew him said he looked as scary as hell, but he was a total sweetheart.

6. djblisk

djblisk Distinguished Member

If dogs have not eaten in while because their owners are dead in the same room, most dogs will start eating their owners as a survival tactic.

7. JLibourel

Well, it looks as if we are going to be dog owners again! On Christmas day, my wife's family gathered at the home of one of her nieces. She and her husband had recently acquired an "English Cream" Golden Retriever. The youngster was about six months old and a delightful animal, I'll have to say. Anyway, my wife was so impressed that today she bought a male puppy from the same breeder. The pup will be delivered by the breeder in mid-January. I never thought a Golden Retriever was really quite "me," but if he is as winsome a dog as the one we met Xmas day, I think we will be well pleased. Certainly a big change from the Tosas!

8. djblisk

djblisk Distinguished Member

Can we talk about dog beds? I have an old girl who has hip dysplasia.