Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

lefty's random dog thread.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lefty, Mar 22, 2009.

1. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

Responsible owners. If people took it upon themselves. We wouldn't have this problem. Some countries that are less self entitled understand that fact. Their citizens take it upon themselves to be responsible owners. The United States is not one of them. Therefore, we we are stuff having politicians control the issue or losing a family member because of those same issues.

2. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

My impression is that breed bans are less common in the USA than in many other "advanced" countries--none on a national level and few if any on a state level. Local breed bans are not uncommon, unfortunately, usually singling out "Pit Bulls" and similar breeds.

3. dacox

dacox Senior member

None of this makes sense. First of all, there is no federal ban on any dog breed in the U.S. There are even states that specifically prohibit local governments from creating bans based on breed and from declaring certain breeds as dangerous. The U.S. is not a country that overly regulates dog ownership. And are you suggesting that it is it someone other than politicians that pass banned breed legislation outside of the U.S.? Does the U.S. have fewer responsible owners than other countries? If anything, the dogs that I've seen are treated, on average, as good or better here in the U.S. than most places I have been.

There will be a percentage of irresponsible dog owners everywhere, not just the U.S. That is unavoidable and part of the reason why these bans exist in the first place. They also exist because certain breeds are just more capable of inflicting serious injury than others. From a politicians perspective (using my dog as an example), no Boerboels means no Boerboel attacks. As a Boerboel owner who knows firsthand that they can make wonderful, friendly, sociable companions, I do not necessarily agree with banning them, but I can appreciate that there is some thought that goes in to making the decision to create a ban. The downside is that it prevents responsible owners from owning some really great breeds. I also wonder if banning certain breeds actually significantly reduces number of overall attacks or if it just shifts the number of incidents from one breed to another non-banned one.