• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lefty's random dog thread.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cute pup. Am Staff, Staff Bull or PBT?

Surprised they let him go at 6 weeks. That's a really young age to separate a puppy from its litter.

lefty

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lefty

Am Staff but for some reason they call them Red Nose Staff here in Oz. Am Staff/SB got a bad name a few years back due to the actions of their bogan dickhead owners, which caused a 'public panic' and media beat up.

Mother developed mastitis so owner decided to let them go.

Last edited:

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The red red nose is a pretty colour combo, but that would be a disqualification for an Am Staff in Aus. Do they use Am Staff and APBT interchangeably as a way to get around the ban?

6 weeks isn't the end of the world.

lefty

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The red red nose is a pretty colour combo, but that would be a disqualification for an Am Staff in Aus. Do they use Am Staff and APBT interchangeably as a way to get around the ban?

6 weeks isn't the end of the world. 

lefty

Not up on current affairs so can't comment on the ban ramifications but the sire and ***** are both registered breed dogs with good pedigree, I'm in ACT laws are different in NSW where most of the trouble was.

He's settled in fine, short sporadic periods of intense activity then sleeps for hours. Its ok as I'm currently working from home. Son is a chippie so will be going on the job with him when he's trained, old enough and sensible enough.

Last edited:

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can recall many years ago meeting a pretty Norwegian girl at an AKC show. She had an AmStaff puppy with her that she had picked up from the breeder at the dog show. She informed me that in Norway APBTs were banned but AmStaffs were still legal. Go figure! When I told her I was a Tosa guy, she asked, "Are Tosas as bad as they say." I said they weren't.

In the fall of 1985, I attended an AmStaff national specialty show held at the beautiful campus of Pepperdine University in Malibu. There was one dog entered who was a red-nose and had yellow eyes. This would have been fine if it had been a UKC APBT show, but a number of the AmStaff people were upset the dog was even there because these things are serious "faults" in the AKC breed standard.

A lot of AmStaff show people would dual register their dogs as APBTs with the UKC to have additional show venues. Some Pit Bull purists were annoyed because the AmStaffs tended to dominate the UKC conformation shows. Turning your AmStaff into a UKC APBT was (and I presume still is) a simple matter of registering your AKC dog with the UKC. However, you cannot register your UKC Pit Bull with the AKC as an AmStaff.

All my knowledge of these matters dates from some years back, so whether these things still hold true, I do not know.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There are varying degrees of heart murmurs and all kinds of causes. Find out what the dog actually has. A friend's Boxer had a moderate murmur and lived a great life until it dropped dead one day. 2-3 years sounds like a pretty severe diagnosis. 

As to the decision to spend money on an ill dog, there are two thoughts that have always stuck with me.

1) dogs don't have the expectation of tomorrow (as we know it)

2) you put a dog down when there's something left of him other than his wounds

Sorry I can't be any more help.

lefty

Thanks lefty. Was out of town all last week on business, then too busy catching up this weekend to check into him...will reach out to the rescue for more specifics.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was googling something totally different and these images came up. Kind of cool.
The first two I think are local, the third is just because Airedales.

Last edited:

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An old photo I just came across. You can't tell but that log is about 60 feet long and cantilevered out over a gulch. The end my dog is on is about 30-40 feet in the air.

Last edited:

eglbc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im getting my first dog this weekend, does anyone have suggestions for dog beds n such that are design friendly ?

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jeezus. Just saw video of a California man invite his dog into the car then later on taking the dog out and throwing it over a cliff.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

Im getting my first dog this weekend, does anyone have suggestions for dog beds n such that are design friendly ?

we have one of these and it's great:

http://www.pendleton-usa.com/produc...ARK-DOG-BED/173706/sc/3421/c/2395/pc/1816.uts

it has a thick outside shell that's removable and can run through the wash. Helpful for fur and/or the occasional puke.

from a throw-away perspective, just go to TJ Maxx. Can get a functional bed for $20, then use it, then toss it. It's what my in-laws do when the calvary comes into town.

Glad this thread was bumped. Here's the big lug last night:

Last edited:

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Jeezus. Just saw video of a California man invite his dog into the car then later on taking the dog out and throwing it over a cliff.

The whole story might be different. If he had to put the dog down because of incurable illness and he was virtually certain the dog would be killed on impact, it might be a pretty good way of doing it. The dog's body would go to feed wildlife and be reincorporated into the cycle of life and nature. Perhaps more to the point, he would have saved the several hundred dollars it costs to have a dog put down in a veterinary clinic-- a strange and threatening environment for the dog spend his last moments of life anyway. I remember one clinic was willing to let me have Dempsey put down on a grass lawn outside the clinic. He was growling at the needle as it went in, and then his big head dropped. I just said, "Good-bye, Dempsey", as I turned and walked away, leaving his big, beautiful, deep-red body lying on the bright green grass in the late afternoon sunshine. One of my hardest days, and I am weeping profusely as I recount the story, even though it all happened over 10 years ago.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads