1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

lefty's random dog thread.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lefty, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Looks like they warrant a yelp review

2. eglbc

eglbc Senior member

H

His biting seems to be a rough play and possibly a dominance struggle. He growls/bites my wife and I quite a lot not in a reactive or defensive way but intentional strategic strikes. He is also super mouthy which i understand is a shiba thing.Whenever he's pet, he wants to bite so much it makes it hard to pet him. We cram a chew toy in his mouth to get him to re direct. Also lots of ice cubes now, seems like hes teething bad.

We have started putting him in time out when the shit hits the fan and he wont stop biting. Hoping that helps. Whenever we sit on the couch, he jumps up and bites or humps, tearing at clothing or biting and clamping down on skin or clothes.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  3. lefty

lefty Senior member

Random things.

Your trainer is an idiot. Ask for your money back.

Don't let your puppy on the sofa.
    Don't over react by screaming or running away. A loud "oww" should get him to back off for a moment, then you can redirect onto a chew toy.
    More exercise.
    Short sessions of calmness. Downstay for 1-2 minutes with a reward at the end.
    If she's old enough (and she looks it) corrections via a small prong collar and tab are appropriate. Short sharp pull down when biting with a firm "no" then reward for stopping.
    More exercise.
    Hand feed for a while. Make her earn every morsel of food.

You puppy is being an asshole, that's all, but an asshole left unchecked can become a monster.

lefty

1 person likes this.
  4. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

Sounds like my friends Vizla. She is alpha dominant to my friend and is an asshole. I don't let the Vizla get away with shit when I see her and my friend is so amazed that she will listen to me. It isn't hard. She runs the damn dog about 5 to 7 miles every other day and it is still bouncing off the walls. I keep telling her that the dog needs mental training and stimulus as well to release its energy but she doesn't do it. Its a shame. Great loving dog, just needs more training.

BTW: My wife and I are adopting this senior citizen in about a week. She has had a hard life. At 10 years old, she is no spring chicken but we wanted to adopt help a senior and have the means to keep her comfortable if her health deteriorates. I watched her for a bit and her foster's have reported back that she does not have many weird quirks. All that being said, you can't say not to this face.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  5. j944

j944 Member

[​IMG]

My three yo GSP Orbea

2 people like this.
  6. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

What a looker!

2 people like this.
  7. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

Need some help here.

Rescued a senior dog about 2 months ago. She is great, just arthritic and has had a previous hard life.

Only problem. I think she has sundowner's syndrome. She constantly paces at night and barely sleeps. Pacing and panting. I try to calm her down but eventually she will get up again and pace.

I have her on Acana, Nupro's gluco and lyfe spryte, and she is on her tramadol and rymadil for her arthritis. I'm thinking of taking her into the vet and maybe asking for Xanax.

8. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

My older dog has started showing similar symptoms. The vet put him on Trazadone. A dose an hour or so before dark, especially combined with a pre-dusk walk, seems to take the edge off pretty well. It also lasts about seven hours, so it gets them pretty well through the night before wearing off.

Good luck. Dementia is no fun.

9. j944

j944 Member

I am not sure about the anxiety, but for arthritis we used Missing Link for our lab. She was a working dog and at about age ten could barely get up sometimes. After using for almost three weeks she was back to her old self until she passed at 14. I initially purchased from Petco, but found it on Amazon. Good luck

10. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Re the Arthritis we used Glucosamine & Chondroitin tablets for our lab staff cross and it worked really good for him. We gave him double the dose you would take and cut it back produced good results.

11. lefty

lefty Senior member

Did you know about the nighttime situation when you adopted her and if so, was it as bad at her previous home? It may lessen once she settles. More exercise at night could help - exhaustion level exercise. A crate in your bedroom may also help.

Not to be too harsh, but I don't know if it's beneficial to the animal to keep her alive if she's under that much daily stress.

lefty

12. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

All good points. The rescue downplayed the night situation when we adopted her. No clue as to her previous home, she was found at the a shelter in South Central Los Angeles.

We'll check on the exercise and have a vet appointment.

Culling her isn't currently an option. But I'll see how bad it gets. She is really happy during the day.

13. France Turcotte

France Turcotte New Member

Lefty: please tell me that big DDB / Neo mix is your dog. I run a rescue for mastiffs are rescued Ben and he looked exactly like the picture you posted. I want to know where he was from, he was the love of my life. Best dog I ever owned. we rescued him in the New Jersey coastline area.

14. lefty

lefty Senior member

Not sure which pic you're referring to but not my dog.

lefty

15. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Interesting stuff. I have been aware of the New Guinea Singing Dog for years, but this is the first I have heard of the NG Highland Wild Dog. Does it also "sing," I wonder? I gather the problem for the Singing Dog is that it is too domesticated for conservationists to take an interest in them and too "wild" for many people to want them as pets, so they fall between the cracks. I may have mentioned in this thread that there was a woman in my neighborhood who had a dingo. She was candid that she wasn't sure she was a pure dingo. However, her body language and general demeanor were very different from an ordinary dog's, more like a coyote's--cautious, stealthy and furtive would be how I would characterize her. She got along well with my last two Tosas, Tessa (female) and Cyrus (male). I think her body language was not at all challenging to a Tosa.

An old school friend of mine bought a Carolina dog a couple of years ago. It is a little standoffish but doesn't otherwise seem especially "primitive."

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  16. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

Any suggestions? I know an orthopedist and a CT Scan is in order but I don't to spend that $$$ if I don't have to.

My two year old shephard mix started heavily limping on her right leg, looks like the wrist area, after playing at the dog park. We took her to the vet for anti-inflammatories and x-rays which came out negative. The dog limps only when walking but still loves to play and do zoomies, etc without any sort of pain.

We put her on bed rest for the last 6 days and she is still limping, even after inflammatories and crate rest coupled with supervised on-leash bathroom breaks. Its annoying me that she wines all day in her crate but I can't let her play.

I'm now going on my 10th day and the limp is less heavy but still there. I'm assumind she has no tears since she can put weight on it but our vet can't figure out what it is since x-rays came back negative. Her advice was to try an orthopedist and CT Scan. I simply do not want to have to spend 2K if I don' have to.

17. eglbc

eglbc Senior member

Eko doggo has been waking up in the middle of the night heaving, and eventually barfing pink bile. Anyone have this issue before? Been going on about 4 nights now.

18. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

This is interesting. The only South American "bush dog" that I knew of was Speothos venaticus. This looks very different and less dog-like than the animal shown, which is Dusicyon microtis. This is why we have scientific names for animals!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017