1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

lefty's random dog thread.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lefty, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Streettrash

Streettrash Senior member

I had a German Shorthaired Pointer. She lived to be 14. They are like a coiled spring at all times. You have to really love the breed to own one. Mine hunted upland birds like a pro. So much stamina and drive. Nothing better than a day spent in the field hunting quail or chucker with a Parker double over that dog. It would have been criminal for me not to allow that dog to hunt, it was what she had hardwired into her brain. IMO they are not great dogs to have around just as companions or pets, they are working dogs and that's what they desire most of all to do.

1 person likes this.
  2. lefty

lefty Senior member

Fairly said.

lefty

3. dcg

dcg Senior member

Good info @Streettrash, thanks for sharing. Seems the Vizsla would likely be a better option for us.

4. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

We are going to get goats. We have plenty of grazing space but better goat food than sheep. We have a while, though.
    I adore our acd,but I don't know that I would actually suggest one to somebody. They are tough dogs, and smart, and beautiful. Their energy level is not super high. Great hiking companions and super loyal, but not exactly great for anything else. The real thing is that a well need acd really isn't a friendly dog. They have been kind of de-angriest by breeding, but since they are basically a show dog now, they have been de- a lot of thinged. As I said, ours is great, but he is very much old style. I don't like most I see. Love vizslas. And standard poodles.

5. lefty

lefty Senior member

Goats seem to be more interesting than sheep. Better personalities.

lefty

6. itsstillmatt

They are. They also eat all the scrub and brush, and they eat from the top down, so they are great for fire issues. They roam a lot, so that makes them a little tougher, but they are kind of pet like, and the young ones taste great.

7. itsstillmatt

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

First two are his mother working cows in a trial. Last is monkey (kelpie), Norbert (blue) and their friend buddy at the herding training place.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  8. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

9. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Any general thoughts on Great Danes, aside from the obvious issues with large breeds?

10. itsstillmatt

I don't like Aussies. 90% of border collies are neurotic messes. They are amazing dogs, and I love them, but ones who are bred to work aren't going to be satisfied with a tennis ball and a 3 mile run, and so many of the akc borders are soft and way too environmentally sensitive. An underused vizsla or gsp is going to be miles easier to live with.

11. lefty

lefty Senior member

He looks like a happy little dude.

It's a lot of dog and the chances of finding a good one will be pretty low. Unless your heart is set on one, pass.

lefty

1 person likes this.
  12. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I'm not as down on Danes as lefty seems to be. I think there is no more beautiful, magnificent and regal dog than a good Dane. Unfortunately, most of the ones you see are gangly, gawky galoots, and there doesn't seem to be much in between.

As to temperament, typically they are sweet, gentle, friendly dogs. However, no few of them are complete psychos. One in my neighborhood wanted to attack my little Jessie when she was in heat. And I don't mean lustfully, which would have been perfectly normal, I mean viciously! Another, a big Harlequin wanted to attack Cyrus when he was a little puppy. I believe that may have been the same Great Dane that knocked an old lady down in our neighborhood. Nobody wants a psycho dog, but a psycho Dane is particularly alarming.

So I wouldn't veto getting a Dane. Just do your homework very carefully about health and temperament issues.

As a postscript, when I was boy, we had for a few years an older Great Dane bitch that had been found roaming in our neighborhood. She was just lovely dog. You couldn't have asked for a better companion animal.

13. lefty

lefty Senior member

I'm not saying they're poor dogs (aside from health), but Conne is a first-time dog owner (I believe) and a dane is physically a lot of dog.

Conne, borrow one. Stuff it into your car and bring it home. Let it lay across your sofa and bed and check if there's room for you. Feed it and see how much water and food spills from its flews onto your new floors. If you're cool with that, start looking for one.

A friendly dane will get you laid like gangbusters. But that's true of a lot of dogs.

lefty

14. itsstillmatt

If you want a huge dog that is regal and easy to live with, look at an Irish wolfhound. They are a great breed that lives well in so many environments.

1 person likes this.
  15. lefty

lefty Senior member

Cool breed, but again, a lot of animal. People who want a giant breed really need to spend some up close and personal time with one before they decide.

lefty

1 person likes this.
  16. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

...and be prepared for a very probable early death!

1 person likes this.
  17. lefty

lefty Senior member

18. dcg

dcg Senior member

Seems that I keep coming back to the Vizsla.

The idea of a working dog sounds nice, but while we'll have a bit more space than the average suburban lot, want to be realistic as well. A (somewhat athletic) house dog will be more appropriate for us than a dog bred to work.

How does your ACD react to those outside your family?

19. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

If I may. I know we talk about specific breeds but I would also advise to visit your local shelter or a specific rescue to see if you can find your future dog there. For first time dog owners, acquiring an adult where you can estimate their temperment etc.... may be easier than acquiring a puppy and hoping they live up to their parents. I had a slew of purebreds and mutts throughout my lifetime and must say my current Baja Mexico thrown in the garbage pooch is the best dog that I've had.

20. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

on a similar note, working with a rescue is very helpful as well. Most of them foster the dogs, so they often have a multi-month idea of the dog's temperament, exercise needs, likes, dislikes, overall disposition, etc. And most have enough dogs that you can pick and choose which one would be best with some input from the rescue on the individual dogs.

and I'll +1 on our pound dog. Incredibly well behaved dog from the very first minute (and already house broken). Will do again.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015