1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

lefty's random dog thread.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lefty, Mar 22, 2009.

1. lefty

lefty Senior member

Clarification of nicknames.

Am Staff = American Staffordshire Terrier or the AKC registered version of the American Pitbull Terrier. Thick and blocky; seem like dullards to me.

[​IMG]

Staffie = Staffordshire Bull Terrier, the smaller dog spun off from with GB fighting dogs. Small and cobby; but rascals and plucky as hell.

[​IMG]

Pitbull = American Pitbull Terrier or what you have. Typically leaner and more athletic than the Am Staff (there's more diversity of phenotype in pits); fun loving and focussed.

[​IMG]

What ridge?

lefty

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  2. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

this ridge:

[​IMG]

3. lefty

lefty Senior member

Never really seen that before outside of the few ridged breeds. Quick search shows it pops up once in a while.

Or maybe she's getting into your Dapper Dan.

[​IMG]

lefty

4. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

5. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

^Hah, I didn't know there really was a "Dapper Dan" pomade! I only knew it from "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" I ought to give it a try.

I never found AmStaffs all that different from APBTs temperamentally...at least years ago. However, it's highly probable that breeding them for the show ring has softened them up from what they were 40 years ago. I never thought there was a nickel's worth of difference between a UKC show/pet APBT and an AmStaff. In fact, I think a lot of the UKC show winners were dual-registered AmStaffs. However, I don't know what the current situation is. Not too many years ago you could register your AKC AmStaff with the UKC as an APBT for a modest fee, and this may still be the case.

Unrelated to the foregoing, the other night I saw a huge white "dog" in the park across the way from my house. At first I couldn't place it: It wasn't a white GSD, and it wasn't a Malemute (which I don't think come in white, anyway). Suddenly I realized that the "dog" was really more a wolf. It was accompanied by an owner, fortunately. Otherwise, Cyrus and I might have a lively time of it!

The next day the owner and his "wolf" were still there. (I think he was camping in his van.) I asked him if the animal were a wolf-hybrid and he answered affirmatively. I am sure it is what they call a "high content" (mostly wolf) hybrid. Gorgeous animal!

Wolf hybrids often get a bad rap and are banned in no few jurisdictions. However, I have met some purported hybrids that seemed like nicer "dogs" than most dogs. I say "purported" because there is a lot of fraud in that game, with quite a few husky or shepherd mixes sold as "hybrids" even though they have no recent wolf ancestry.

6. lefty

lefty Senior member

Most of the Am Staffs I met were show dogs and a little too thick for real work. They seemed to wind easily.

Obviously there are some that can cross both lines, but a good ADBA APBT would be faulted in an AKC Am Staff ring. It's been 80 years since the split so I think they're as separate as separate can be now.

Felt that same way about Wolf hybrids. Lot's of bullshit around them.

Thoughts on the American Indian Dog?

lefty

7. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I was hitherto obvious to the "American Indian Dog." They look like they have an admixture of coyote. A very good friend of mine had a coyote mix for many years, and he adored that animal. This was before I knew him, though. I once visited a professor who had a pet coyote (a pure coyote). It was a friendly, playful animal. As I recall, it had a bad eye. The professor believed that the impairment may have made the coyote more dependent and tractable.

Another friend of mine bought a Carolina Dog recently. I have only seen the puppy once. My pal was bringing the pup back from Northern California, and he stopped off to show the puppy to his sister, who lives near me. The puppy was bold, friendly, inquisitive and trusting. In other words, he didn't seem the least bit "primitive" to me. I seem to recall that you wondered whether this whole "American Dingo" business was merely a scam by the "discoverer" of the breed. Based on the behavior of the pup I met, I think you may be onto something there. Of course, he's probably a much better companion animal they way he is.

I think I have mentioned that there was a woman in my neighborhood who had a dingo. She was candid that she wasn't sure of the animal's purity. Its demeanor and body language was furtive and stealthy, very much that of a wild animal.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  8. lefty

lefty Senior member

They look like Coydogs (of which there seem to be many examples), but if you accept that the AID has been around for as long as the Native Americans I'm not sure what the Coyotes were breeding with. Maybe Carolina Dogs. Or they connect to an Asian migration and have no European connection at all.

Have to look into it further.

I guess they've mitigated the temperament of the Carolina breed over the past 40 years. As I said a few post ago, dogs are dogs. Mostly.

lefty

9. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

started nosework training. so far so good.

10. lefty

lefty Senior member

What are you doing?

lefty

11. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

12. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

Sooo... I am currently in Todos Santos and my friend's neighbor recently saved a 7 week old mut (looks to be doby/something). She apparently burrowed under the gate into his back yard where all his other dogs are. At only 7 weeks old she feels like an old soul who has been through a lot. We are giving her a home in the states.

13. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

any recs for dog friendly hotels, beaches, getaways on the East coast?

14. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

anything Kimpton Group when it comes to hotels. There's not extra charge and they have things like bowls/dog beds/food/pet sitting services all set up.

15. stevent

stevent Senior member

+1 their service for dogs is amazing

16. brownbrogues

brownbrogues Member

I know that its not any help, but when I was in Germany I was shocked by the sheer number of dogs in public crowded spaces.

I love these Indian dogs Bully Kutta

[​IMG]

17. lefty

lefty Senior member

Think I may have posted this before.

[​IMG]

Longer version.

[​IMG]

lefty

18. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Did any of you catch on-line or on TV the dog "Hulk," who is being billed as the world's largest Pit Bull at 175 pounds? I have been told the owners are asking $20K for a stud service from Hulk.

A few thoughts on Hulk:

The dog looks fat.

Even so, I don't think he is anywhere near 175 pounds.

I strongly doubt that Hulk is a real APBT--just another dime-a-dozen bandog.

19. lefty

lefty Senior member

This?

[​IMG]

He's pretty fat and not a pit. Not sure you could even breed a pit that large.

[​IMG]

lefty

20. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

running looked like a struggle.

looks a bit like a big Am Bulldog.