1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

lefty's random dog thread.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lefty, Mar 22, 2009.

1. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

You don't think a 70 pound barking dog might have helped that situation? If nothing else - and its a lot- it lets you know something is up.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  2. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

I posted a news article where a cat killed a 200 pound dog a mile from my house, so a 70 pounder is bringing a knife to a gunfight IMO. Big cats (cougar) worry me the most of anything because they just kind of show up and are "there". Many times when the attack they are elevated and dogs don't smell them either.

Most of my neighbors don't have underground fences either and when their dog gets hit by a car they just get another dog, and that is their choice. It is not mine though. To each their own decision as it should be. About that hen house and fox LOL, time to do some carpentry work a fox shouldn't be able to get in a decent tight chicken coop. Weasels and mink are a different story, but the best bet if you are loosing chickens is to invest in a digital caller with a dying rabbit call and red light for night time illumination. Call them in at night and shoot them, with the weather getting colder the pelts will start priming up soon.

Years ago in NC Pa. I was between a sow bear and 2 cubs, I had my wheel gun on me and thought for sure that I was going to have to use it. Mom turned and ran the other direction once she figured out what I was. When I lived in Washington State along the Olympic Peninsula I saw bear every time I went fly fishing when the salmon were spawning. Came around a bend in the river more than once face to face with a bear. They can't see for shit and stand up and squint sniffing the air trying to figure out what you are then usually at least walk off if not run off. Then 2 years ago in the Mn. Arrowhead I had a black bear try to get into my off road trailer one night. The dog and I were in the tent 6 feet away and the dog went crazy but the bear just growled and kept trying to get in the trailer. My gun was under the cot cased and the shells in another location in the tent. Took me 2 minutes trying to handle the dog and get the gun and shells around at the same time and by then the bear thank goodness gave up and walked away. The dog didn't phase him a bit, they can be very unpredictable especially about the time you think that you have them figured out.

I posted a picture of a wolf killed deer a couple of pages back. It took until 2 AM for the pack to show up and when I took this picture https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3810/13666553783_0e5c79843a_c.jpg the pack was circling me and there was 8-12 of them, hard to tell for sure with the trees. The Alpha at times was 10 feet away, I yelled and shined the maglight on him and he always backed off. If I had a dog with me I would never had dared try that, it would have been a totally different situation and not a good one. Which is why he was back in the cabin.

In any event enjoy and have fun in your new home.

3. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Were I ever to live in a rustic situation, I would wish to surround my house and its immediate environs with a high, sturdy fence. I love my dogs, and I wouldn't want one to be hit on a road, shot by a neighbor or taken by a predator. I realize that a fence can't stop all predators, but it reduces the risk.

4. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Brutus turns 4 this month. This was taken in April 2014, he's showing a bit of grey in his beard:

[​IMG]

Nov 2011:

[​IMG]

April 2011:

[​IMG]

And just a pup, Nov 2010 at 9 weeks old:

[​IMG]

5. lefty

lefty Senior member

Chihuahua vs. coyote vs. Rottweiler.

[​IMG]

lefty

6. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Last week I picked up a new to me dog, a fully finished 5 year old English Setter. The owner passed away a year and a half ago and the widow wanted it to go to a home where it would hunt. I always worked with pups, this is my first so called rescue dog. I am shocked at how fast we are bonding he is laying at my feet now. He is dominant but in the last few days has slowed down testing me. Took the day off from work yesterday to test him on some pheasants, homing pigeons and kill pigeons. My only concern now is to not screw him up a really great dog.

Wet dog on point, he loves to swim too.
    [​IMG]

Big runner but good steady pace. Picked up a Garmin Alpha and TT15 collar to keep track of him.
    [​IMG]

He gets the job done and with style.
    [​IMG]

The girlfriend isn't thrilled about him, and he is one of the biggest English Setter I have ever seen. The dog is staying till he crosses the Rainbow Bridge.

1 person likes this.
  7. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

pretty dog. Awesome that he gets to hunt a bit.

8. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

my dog likes to jump high for stuff.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  10. lefty

lefty Senior member

Haven't kept up with thread.

^^^^ Handsome dog. The pheasant shot is great. What gun?

^^ Looks like she's settling in well.

^ Like to see that in real time.

lefty

11. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

^the wife has a new iPhone... she's going a little crazy with the slo-mo feature.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. lefty

lefty Senior member

His tracking, anticipation and micro correction in the air is amazing.

lefty

13. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

going to start having the Pit work with these

[​IMG]

14. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

front legs was a pretty easy learn. Started deflated and then worked up, even way overinflated to see if she'd take it, and she did. Balance was fine, and it was clearly a decent amount of work for her. Going to try rear legs tonight, which might be a little tricky at first, and then eventually going to add a second disk for two legs on one and two on the other.

15. lefty

lefty Senior member

You do know that Cirque du Soleil doesn't accept animal acts?

lefty

16. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

dogs are people, no?

17. lefty

lefty Senior member

No, but the furries may argue the point.

lefty

18. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Last December a neighbor of ours bought Weimaraner puppy for her post-adolescent son in hopes he would have a redemptive effect on the somewhat troubled youth. He is a lovely dog with a good heart. However, he has not had adequate obedience training, and I don't think the dog gets nearly enough exercise. Partly on my advice, they have left him intact.

This Sunday, the Howl-O-Ween Dog Parade was held at a park near our house. It is a bizarre event where in people and dogs in all manner of costumes march along a 180-yard bikeway. Some of the dog costumes are rather amusing, but I think there is something degrading to the inherent dignity of the dog when you behold a Rottweiler in a tutu! Many of the participants parked on our street and came by with their dogs. This evidently excited the Weimaraner so much that he contrived to escape from his yard and went racing over to the park, bounding wildly about amongst the participants and spectators. Although I was present at the event, I did not witness this. Fortunately, a kindly man caught the Weimaraner, who was only wearing his choke collar (without any ID). Another man offered the captor $500 for the dog, but fortunately he refused and began taking the dog door-to-door in our neighborhood. The dog's owners were elsewhere: The son was off surfing, the mother was at a yoga retreat--only in California! However, their next-door neighbors immediately recognized the dog and restored him to his yard.

A friend of the dog's owner had purchased a litter sister of the dog in question. A witness to the event told this woman about it and claimed that it was entirely the result of the dog's not having been neutered. (Apparently neutered dogs never get out or run around and play!) So adamant was she on the subject that she even volunteered to pay for the dog's castration herself! Bear in mind, she did not even know the owners of the dog.

All of this story I have repeated merely to illustrate the depth of fanaticism of these people who are obsessed with mutilating dogs. I can understand some of this sentiment arising from the plight of pet overpopulation. However, as we have said elsewhere, responsible people don't let their dogs run around breeding promiscuously, and irresponsible people won't give a damn about spay-neuter.

Oh, and I did help the dog's owner attach an ID tag to his collar yesterday.

19. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Sadly, we are going to have to neuter our little guy relatively soon. He has one ball that didn't drop, and retained testicles have a hugely high rate of cancer in dogs, something approaching 80%. We are going to let him get all the way through puberty, though, so he gets as many developmental advantages from testosterone as possible.

20. lefty

lefty Senior member

I'm not sure about this, but is there an operation to remove the undescended testicle and retain the descended?

Of course, there's always:

[​IMG]

lefty