1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

lefty's random dog thread.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lefty, Mar 22, 2009.

1. lefty

lefty Senior member

I'm sure someone has done it, but I'm not sure why. Presas are mostly shit. Neos more so. The idea that someone had access to two dogs from those breeds worth putting together is highly unlikely. Besides, if you had a great Neo you'd be better off making better little Neos.

Certain breeds don't mix well - Rotts for example - and the Presa may be in that category.

lefty

2. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

A friend of mine did a Pit X Rott cross. The pups from that litter were so dangerously dominant aggressive to humans that they all had to be put down between the ages of two and three. I have heard Presa X Pit crosses described as "Hell waiting to happen."

They guy who got the puppy is a real nice guy, and so I hope the pup works out for him. Had he contacted me prior to getting it, I would have counseled against it.

I tend to think of Presas as just another Bandog variant.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  3. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

the forum knows all too well

1 person likes this.
  4. zarathustra

zarathustra Senior member

And you sir win the internet.

5. lefty

lefty Senior member

Border Terrier on the job.

[​IMG]

lefty

6. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

7. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I just watched Ratatouille with the Twins..:crackup:

8. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

We had three foxes in the front yard the other day and saw another in a neighbor's driveway today. Still waiting on that border terrier!

9. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Were they red or gray foxes? Red foxes were quite common in my neighborhood in East Long Beach about 13 years ago but rather quickly vanished. My first thought was that the city surreptitiously exterminated them because they were exotics (descended from escaped or released pets) and are a terrible threat to the abundant bird life of the area. I now more inclined to believe they were wiped out by the coyotes.

10. zarathustra

zarathustra Senior member

I have had a family of foxes living behind my house all spring and summer. Male/Female and at least three kits. Surprisingly they have actually taken to coming very close (under 5-8 feet) to the house (can tell from the scat). There is something great about sitting in my office at the house on Saturday morning and having a bucks in velvet meander by, a doe with her fawns, a fox or two and then a big tom come strutting through. Swear at one point, I saw a bobcat in the woods.

The second I see a coyote... not going to be too happy.

The neighbors who are somewhat taken back by it all, say that it is the most diverse that it has been in many years.

11. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

We have seen red foxes increase in numbers also, unfortunately coyotes too. In the arrowhead region there are a large number of red foxes which considering the habit is mainly forest is a bit surprising it used to be grey fox habit. Very few coyotes there but the wolves are out of control and the two do not coexist well.

Hunting grouse in the fall always makes me a little nervous with the Toller. The Nova Scotia Duck Toller was breed to look like a red fox and mine does even to the white tip on the tail. To me there is a world of difference but to many others that are not used to seeing foxes....

[​IMG]

Come November the open prairie of South Dakota makes me feel much safer with him in the field chasing pheasants.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  12. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Gray. We have a ton of them up here. Our cattle dog isn't phased by anything smaller than a lamb, so it took him a long while to notice.

13. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

^In much of the country, wildlife is much more abundant than formerly, for various reasons.

14. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

People used to feed a lot more on the land as a necessity..

My uncle used to poach a lot...

Trouts, rabbits, pheasants and many other things..

That was that or close to nothing to eat..

15. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

A few pictures from the Boundary Water Canoe Area Wilderness Area in February of this year. No motor vehicles allowed including snowmobiles so dogsled team is a good way to get around. No bugs that time of year either...
    [​IMG]

The deer are not used to seeing people and while are not tame, they are curious about humans more times than not. This guy was looking in the window of the cabin and just as I grabbed the camera to take a picture the dog jumped up to see what I was looking at. They stared at each other for a few seconds then all hell broke loose.
    [​IMG]

That much snow and cold is rough on the deer though. A lone wolf took one down outside the cabin just after dark one night.
    [​IMG]

The pack showed up around 2:30AM to help finish it off. -32 F for 20 min. was enough for both me and the camera though. No need for me to post pictures of that but was interesting to me that I noticed for the first time wolves eat starting from the belly where as coyotes and foxes start at the anal cavity. Wolves may have been the beginning of the dog as we know it today but there is still a big difference between them and the rest of the canines.

16. lefty

lefty Senior member

Not having a chicken coop all foxes are safe from me.

I know I've said it before, but the Toller is a cool dog.

lefty

17. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

our new one came home tonight.

18. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

Today, 8-26-14, was National Dog Day

19. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

here she is:

[​IMG]

6 people like this.