1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

lefty's random dog thread.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lefty, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Wallcloud

Wallcloud Senior member

I bolded your excellent rule. No grouse where I am at. Pheasant and Quail in about a month and a half. Ducks and geese in 3 and a half weeks.

Enlighten me, what breed do you mean by FB?

Wrap the breasts in bacon and grill them. Serve them with roasted sweet potatoes or some celery root and copious amounts of wine or beer. They are a little too small to prepare like squab but they have a very rich flavor. I dont find them to be the least bit gamey. In fact they have almost a liver consistency although they are milder in flavor than liver.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  2. Teger

Teger Senior member

got the ultrasound done, most likely lymphoma. :( i think we're probably going to do a course of chemo.

3. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Had dove pate some years ago at a fancy restaurant, the chef wasn't pleased with my reaction. :embar:

Damn. :(

4. Wallcloud

Wallcloud Senior member

Sorry to hear that. Nothing worse than a sick dog. Always gets to me in different way.

5. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Sorry about that. FB = French Brittany AKA: the epagneul breton.

I spend the first couple of weeks in November in SD pheasant hunting with several other retired military gentleman. It is our official Veteran's day hunt and a great time. If you ever get a chance to hunt phez in SD I would highly recommend it. When that many wild birds take flight at once it can test any dog. And your own ability to NOT flock shoot LOL.

Great dove recipe you have there. Seems like all great recipes start with first you unwrap a pound of bacon... No matter how you do it they are better than woodcock!

6. lefty

lefty Senior member

Sounds tasty. Are these Mourning Doves or another variety?

Sucks. Good luck.

lefty

7. zarathustra

zarathustra Senior member

Sorry to hear it Teger.

8. Teger

Teger Senior member

yea I'm pretty heartbroken. I guess the only bright side is that lymphoma is very treatable, and she could have as much as 2 years left.

9. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Sorry to hear this, Teger, but as they say, every dog is a heartbreak waiting to happen.

Are you really sure you want to go through with an aggressive program of therapy? It is going to be rough on the dog in all probability, and it's going to cost you a bundle. (The Devii's Arithmetic, I know.) My last bitch, Tessa, was diagnosed with lymphoma. We put her on Prednizone. She thrived for about a month, then began slipping again. It was obvious when she was finished, and I had her put down. In all, from diagnosis to the end, it was about 2 1/2 months.

10. lefty

lefty Senior member

Not to be a downer Teger but I went through the same thing - prednizone > a small recovery > quick decline.

Good luck.

lefty

11. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

Yah Teger. You gotta also understand whether your dog would be happy with what you are doing.

12. lefty

lefty Senior member

And he and his GF are the best to decide that.

FWIW, t's a fairly simple equation - the animal's quality of life over your love and attachment to the animal.

Good luck, Teger.

lefty

13. Teger

Teger Senior member

yea we're going to probably meet with an oncologist next week once we get confirmation (doing the needle biopsy tonight actually). from what I've read, the chemotherapy regimens can range in cost from about $1,500 to about $6,000, but even the cheaper ones are very effective, and remission rates are 60 - 80% even in Stage IV or V cancers. the chemotherapy drugs, combined with the prednisone (which she'll go on no matter what), apparently give the dog a very high quality of life, and if the dog needs to be put to sleep it becomes very obvious very quickly -- the remission ends and the cancer comes back. if you treat with just prednisone, which will eliminate most of the symptoms, the dog can live for 6 to 8 weeks. it's always a question of cost vs outcome balanced against how the dog is going.

14. lefty

lefty Senior member

You have all the facts, so good luck with the decision.

I'll add something that I always thought was very smart when it comes to euthanizing an animal (Jan will know the source).

"You put a dog down when there's still something left of him other than his wounds."

lefty

15. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I don't mean to come across as too cynical,Teger, but most, if not all, veterinarians these days are going try to really aggressively up-sell courses of treatment to you. You easily could be out thousands of dollars and still lose your girl in short order.

I've had to decree the deaths of my last three dogs, and in all cases, especially the last two, I would have wanted exactly the same thing done to me in the same circumstances.

16. Teger

Teger Senior member

oh I'm aware. luckily the home visit vet in the area is happy to administer the chemo treatment at home for the same price they'd cost at a vet, which I think will help her out a lot if we decide to pursue that course of treatment. when I go into see the oncologists for a consolation, I plan on saying that I'm looking for a treatment plan in the $1,500 range, that doesn't require constant hospitalization, and see what they think is applicable and what statistical outcomes exist. I just spent a few hours reading some lymphoma treatment articles in PubMed, and it seems that although more 'aggressive' protocols exists (which use more drugs and thus are more expensive), the standard protocol costs around that and shows extremely good remission rate outcomes. but as always, the thing that's most important is her quality of life.

it just is so sad :( we've only had this dog for about a year and a half, and she's already been through so much. and then I look at the fucking moron undergrads in my classes who adopt dogs and just don't give a shit about their health - no heart worm, I'm sure they aren't visiting the vet for annual checkups, are giving their dogs bong hits - and nothing bad ever happens to their dogs. I know that it's beyond my control, and that it's good that she's with us because we're willing to take care of her and make she lives the best life that can be, but It's still frustrating and angering. like there's one dumb bitch who worked for me over the summer who adopted a dog, let the dog run away (hello don't leave your skittish dog with a collar that's 4 inches too loose), and then adopted ANOTHER dog four days later. fuck her.

17. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

Good luck sorting everything out! Poor girl has had some bad luck. Do you have pet insurance or is everything out of pocket?

18. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

I have never heard it put like that before. As much as I hate what it means in the end I like it because it is true.

Would have bet it was ehrlichiosis, a lot of my friends dogs have come down with it lately and it sounded identical. Sorry to read what it turned out to be, I wish you the best and good luck Teger.

19. Teger

Teger Senior member

it's been a rough few days. made an appointment with an oncologist next week, who is one of the best in the state. will go over treatment options and such then.

20. lefty

lefty Senior member