lefty's random dog thread.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lefty, Mar 22, 2009.

1. lefty

lefty Senior member

^^Central Asian Shepherd or Afghan Koochee. They're all related to some extent, but I believe these are some of the most athletic.

What's interesting about that video is how easily the dogs are handled during a fight. Wouldn't want to screw with one on his own turf.

Nice looking dogs.

lefty

2. lefty

lefty Senior member

I was thinking it might be harder to find a "smaller" dog in that field but I'll definitely keep it in mind. I believe they're up for a dog. Its been a topic of conversation for some time now and they specifically chose this apartment because pets are allowed. I want them to get a dog so they have to get out of the house and walk it. Otherwise, they'll just sit inside and watch Law & Order re-runs all day long. I believe the cancer is relatively minor, thankfully, and not something that'll require constant care or keep them from moving around at all. I was thinking Pug or Beagle. Thoughts?
    Beagle is a runner, so could be a pain in the ass. The problem with an older pug is that you could be looking at serious heatlh bills. Any of the smaller lapdogs or toy dogs is a good choice. But like jhcam said, the best bet is an older dog whose owner has just died. What does the person like. Take him/her to a shelter or even a dog show and see what they respond to. lefty

3. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

What's interesting about that video is how easily the dogs are handled during a fight.

lefty

I thought the same thing. It reminds me of the wrestling that you see in between many larger animals more than a fight to the death.
    One thing I love about that video and the boar hunting videos is how totally happy the dogs look. Tails are wagging the whole time. Some would argue it's cruel but I have a hard time questioning that these dogs love doing what they were bred for.

4. lefty

lefty Senior member

I believe the narrator said the dog fought until one showed a sign of cowardice. You can see the handlers rush in and separate the dogs when one breaks. Also note that these dogs have a thick double coat and loose skin at the neck. Other than some superficial wounds they come out intact.

There are many sick bastards out there that do all kinds of vile things to dogs and other animals, but I don't think you can include these guys. The worst I saw was some "hunters" who secured a tame, declawed, defanged leopard and set 15 dogs on it until it was ripped apart.

lefty

5. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I agree w/lefty - check the shelters for an older, small, low activity dog. There's a 10 yr old Maltese that just came up at our local shelter whose owner died. A perfect, low energy lap dog. Definitely NOT a beagle!
    Beagle is a runner, so could be a pain in the ass. The problem with an older pug is that you could be looking at serious heatlh bills. Any of the smaller lapdogs or toy dogs is a good choice. But like jhcam said, the best bet is an older dog whose owner has just died. What does the person like. Take him/her to a shelter or even a dog show and see what they respond to. lefty
    Thanks for the advice guys. I really appreciate it. I'll relay this to them and keep you all updated.

6. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

There are many sick bastards out there that do all kinds of vile things to dogs and other animals, but I don't think you can include these guys. The worst I saw was some "hunters" who secured a tame, declawed, defanged leopard and set 15 dogs on it until it was ripped apart.

lefty

I saw that as well. They let out of a cage dehydrated and scared out of it's mind. The poor cat ran under the truck to hide and the fucking dogs just jumped it. The dumb fuck owners were all worked up thinking they were bad ass. Still makes me sick and full of rage just thinking about it.

7. dmass1

dmass1 Senior member

Where did you both "see" this?

8. lefty

lefty Senior member

It was sent to me.

lefty

9. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Where did you both "see" this?

What's with the quotes? I "saw" it online, youtube I believe but I could be wrong.

10. IronRock

IronRock Senior member

Hunting with Hounds - yay or nay??

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

11. IronRock

IronRock Senior member

Yay from me by the way.

12. lefty

lefty Senior member

Link doesn't work.

lefty

13. lefty

lefty Senior member

Truffle hunting with one of the world's oldest water retrievers, the Lagotto Romagnolo:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
    lefty

14. Gavin

Gavin Senior member

Not sure how I've missed this thread for so long, but...SF, meet Sidney: [​IMG]

15. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

^ Hey, Sidney.