Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

lefty's random dog thread.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lefty, Mar 22, 2009.

1. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

We miss our boxer, Panzer, desperately. She had the sweetest demeanor, and she was just an absolute clown. Next dog we get will definitely be another boxer... even if that one lasts only eight years, too. They are just an incredible breed.

Panzer:
    [​IMG]

In this pic you can see where her neck was shaved to do a biopsy. It confirmed lymphoma. We lost her a few weeks after this photo was taken. My daughter jumps for joy and calls every boxer we see "Panzer"! It's a bit [​IMG] and a bit [​IMG] at the same time. It leaves me a bit [​IMG].
    [​IMG]

great photos...sorry for the loss. funny thing about dogs....they were put here strictly for our enjoyment. Seems they do a great job at it as well. Im closer to my dogs than i am to most people. haha.

2. dcg

dcg Distinguished Member

The Call of the Wild? Set free, they would die in short order and the Inuit have moved on to snow machines.

The company should have leased dogs from mushers instead of buying but honestly these dogs were doomed.

The vet should have stepped up instead of taking the high ground. Shitty to die in the prime of your life, but better a needle than a multiple bullets fired by an idiot.

lefty

Hollywood lies to us yet again [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. lefty

lefty Distinguished Member

Yes.

There are no predators on Antarctica and plenty of food, but even so only a couple of those original dogs survived.

First of all, these dogs would have been shot if set free in Whistler. It is a town only an hour from Vancouver and I doubt they would tolerate feral dogs. But assuming they were far north, they would be killed by wolves. These are not dogs with the ability to hunt.

lefty

4. lefty

Talking about saving weak puppies I was reminded about this dog - a 13-year-old Donovan Pincher called Scratch.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

I worked Scratch a few times way back when. When he was a young puppy his dam turned on him and attacked, leaving his leg hanging off by a few muscles and tendons. Donovan popped the leg back into place and sewed it up. Scratch recovered with but a small limp.

lefty

5. NorCal

NorCal Distinguished Member

The Call of the Wild? Set free, they would die in short order and the Inuit have moved on to snow machines. The company should have leased dogs from mushers instead of buying but honestly these dogs were doomed. The vet should have stepped up instead of taking the high ground. Shitty to die in the prime of your life, but better a needle than a multiple bullets fired by an idiot. lefty
    I don't think you're necessarily right about snow mobiles. I read an article recently about the Inuit finding that in many ways dogs are better than snow machines. They reproduce, can forage, eat your scraps, keep you warm at night, and when shit really gets sideways you can eat them. Try that with a snow machine. But that's neither here nor there. I feel like the dogs did there part, they're owed better. Leasing does sound like a better option.

6. lefty

Maybe you're right. It's been a while since I've rubbed noses with an Eskimo. There were serious allegations that the RCMP systematically shot and killed the Canadian Eskimo Dog population during the '50s, '60s and '70s to essentially hobble the native population and wipe out their culture. I believe they found that the massive drops in canine population was found to be a combination of factors, one of which was the introduction of the snow machine. I'm sure the RCMP also popped a few dogs for the intimidation factor. The Canadian Eskimo Dog or Inuit Sled Dog or Qimmiq is a cool breed. It is considered the oldest breed in North America. [​IMG] lefty

7. JLibourel

JLibourel Distinguished Member

^A pal of mine who did many things with dogs was a musher for awhile and had a team of Canadian Inuit Dogs. He told me he always had the feeling that if he fell down in their midst, they would kill him. The ones above look pretty baleful.

8. lefty

And I believe those two are puppies.

All this media talk about rehoming those dogs is getting silly. The Vancouver SPCA turned the guy down twice and he was finally forced to kill them.

There's a part of me that believes that we (and dogs) would be better off if one night we killed every dog in every shelter and started over with 20 or so decent breeds.

lefty

9. BP348

BP348 Senior Member

I understand the above but as someone who's had way more mutts then pure breeds I wouldn't like to see it happen.

10. JLibourel

JLibourel Distinguished Member

There's a part of me that believes that we (and dogs) would be better off if one night we killed every dog in every shelter and started over with 20 or so decent breeds.

lefty

I might go along with this if the APBT and maybe the Tosa made the cut!

11. dcg

dcg Distinguished Member

I'd be curious to see a list - if we had to limit ourselves to 20 breeds, what would they be?

12. lefty

Good question about a silly thought I had. I just made that number up but off the very top of my head I would grab 4 all-rounders from 5 types of work: herding, sporting, hound, earth-game, working.

Of course anyone who has posted on this thread with a mix gets to keep it.

lefty

13. lefty

A little self brag. This was just posted on a dog board after I wrote about not being able to attend an event this summer.

The person who wrote that is a very well-respected dog trainer and it totally caught my by surprise.

End brag.

lefty

14. lefty

This would be interesting for those in the NY/NJ area.

2011 Masters World Dog Sport Tournament for German Shepherd Dogs
    June 24-26, 2011

http://www.2011gsdmasters.com/

Some of the best in the world competing in Schutzhund. I'd go just for the Israeli chick.

[​IMG]

lefty

15. Rambo

Rambo Stylish Dinosaur