lefty's random dog thread.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lefty, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Joshua

Joshua New Member

I'm terribly confused, but can't stop looking...

2. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

3. lefty

lefty Senior member

I saw that yesterday.

Not sure what to think. One one hand these are dogs bred to serve a purpose and when that purpose no longer exists, the dogs have no reason for living. Sled dogs make shitty pets.

On the other, you have to be a special kind of stupid to gather 300 dogs in the hopes that the Olympics will bring in a lot of dogsled tourism business to you.

The guy who did the killing seems a little strange to me. Over two days he shot, chased, slit the throats, and fought off dogs--weeping the entire time--because his boss asked him to?

I hold the vet pretty responsible for not coming up with a reasonable euthanasia solution.

lefty

P.S. why the hell does that reporter keep referring to a "herd of dogs"?

4. dcg

dcg Senior member

I saw that yesterday.

Not sure what to think. One one hand these are dogs bred to serve a purpose and when that purpose no longer exists, the dogs have no reason for living. Sled dogs make shitty pets.

On the other, you have to be a special kind of stupid to gather 300 dogs in the hopes that the Olympics will bring in a lot of dogsled tourism business to you.

The guy who did the killing seems a little strange to me. Over two days he shot, chased, slit the throats, and fought off dogs--weeping the entire time--because his boss asked him to?

I hold the vet pretty responsible for not coming up with a reasonable euthanasia solution.

lefty

P.S. why the hell does that reporter keep referring to a "herd of dogs"?

The breeds in general, or just former working dogs?

Terrible story, but something doesn't add up. Hell, several things.

5. saysomething

saysomething Well-Known Member

my first post on sf, and it falls in the dog thread...go figure. i just went through the entire thread, and i must say, sf has a lot of peeps that are way more knowledgeable about dogs than me. thanks for the info, everyone.

here are some pics of my soon-to-be 3 yr old pyrenees.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the newf's not mine; the shot was taken at the local dog park

[​IMG]

6. lefty

lefty Senior member

The breeds in general, or just former working dogs? Terrible story, but something doesn't add up. Hell, several things.
    Former sled dogs. Live outside; live in packs; live to pull. Not a dog I would want in the house.
    my first post on sf, and it falls in the dog thread...go figure. i just went through the entire thread, and i must say, sf has a lot of peeps that are way more knowledgeable about dogs than me. thanks for the info, everyone. here are some pics of my soon-to-be 3 yr old pyrenees. [​IMG]
    Nice shot of the double dew claws. lefty

7. dcg

dcg Senior member

Former sled dogs. Live outside; live in packs; live to pull. Not a dog I would want in the house.

lefty

Interesting contrast to retired Greyhounds, which are often mentioned as great pets. Though I guess running a quick race every once in a while is not really the same as pulling a sled all day, every day.

8. lefty

lefty Senior member

Greyhounds don't really live with other dogs and are kenneled more often than they are out. The transition is easier. Sled dogs live outside in packs and have to fight for their food.

I'm not saying they can't make a decent enough pet, but only if you have outdoor space for them.

lefty

9. saysomething

Nice shot of the double dew claws.

lefty

unintentional but thanks! we had a nearby vet (not ours) try to convince me and my wife to have them removed [​IMG] to each his own...as in this is the first and last time we'll be stepping foot in your facility, thank you.

10. lefty

lefty Senior member

That's interesting. Did he know they were a breed trait or think they were some kind of genetic anomaly?

Have they ever torn?

lefty

11. dcg

dcg Senior member

Greyhounds don't really live with other dogs and are kenneled more often than they are out. The transition is easier. Sled dogs live outside in packs and have to fight for their food.

I'm not saying they can't make a decent enough pet, but only if you have outdoor space for them.

lefty

Cool looking dogs, though.

[​IMG]

12. saysomething

i'm not really sure. he seemed to double-take when he first noticed them but warned of the catching and tearing implications when discussing their removal. i understand why some people would choose to have them removed, but the decision lies with the dog's owner. the cynic in me saw g-notes dancing in the dr's head as he was saying this. he was also aware of my dog's age and the length of time i'd had her, so i felt insulted that he assummed we had never considered the notion or could be convinced otherwise. rant over.

no, they've never torn. i take her trail running with me on mountain biking singletrack, so i do get paranoid when we're running over man-made bridges, logs, etc.

13. lefty

lefty Senior member

Yes. That's a Siberian Husky though and most sled dogs tend to be "Alaskan Huskies" which is more a type than a breed. "Bulldog" versus "bulldog".

Siberian:
    [​IMG]

Alaskan:
    [​IMG]

Interesting article on the history of the Alaskan.

lefty

14. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Killing dogs b/c your stupid biz went under is just plain wrong. Maybe the breed has little future but you could neuter the lot and let them live out their life somewhere. Maybe ship them north and let them roam free or give them to someone that still uses dogs. i'd think some native people far enough north still do and a trained sled dog has to be worth quite a lot.

I feel like slaughtering livestock is a breach of the unwritten contract you have with those under your dominion.

15. lefty

lefty Senior member

The Call of the Wild? Set free, they would die in short order and the Inuit have moved on to snow machines.

The company should have leased dogs from mushers instead of buying but honestly these dogs were doomed.

The vet should have stepped up instead of taking the high ground. Shitty to die in the prime of your life, but better a needle than a multiple bullets fired by an idiot.

lefty