• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leftover Crawfish

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a few pounds of leftover crawfish from a crab and crawfish party yesterday and am planning what to do with them. I was thinking of picking the tails out, making a stock from the shells, then making a nice meaty crawfish risotto, but I'm hoping that someone might have some suggestions for something a little more exciting. Crawfish roll similar to a lobster roll?

As always I look forward to your suggestions!

LobsterDog.jpg

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
You can post an add on craigslist for someone to come over and stomp around in your living room pretending to be godzilla while you j/o, then when you're done you can give them the leftover crayfish.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
You can post an add on craigslist for someone to come over and stomp around in your living room pretending to be godzilla while you j/o, then when you're done you can give them the leftover crayfish.

Do I even need an ad at this point? What time are you free?

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ettouffe?

hamish5178

Reaction score

pure internet genius.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Originally Posted by KJT
Do I even need an ad at this point? What time are you free?

The combo is even better.
laugh.gif

Seriously, though, crawfish and risotto sounds delish. One of my favorite fried foods is fried crawfish.

CMJTperry

Reaction score

WTF, how do you come up with something like that?
confused.gif

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked em. Making stock.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Make crayfish butter, freeze it and then use it to roast chicken in the future.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Make crayfish butter, freeze it and then use it to roast chicken in the future.
Sounds like a great idea! I saved the big guys for a little snack, so I'll do that with their shells. Does this seem like an OK recipe for that? Recipe for fresh water crayfish butter: * 250g cooked crayfish heads and shells. * 500g unsalted butter. * 1 dash brandy. Reduce the crayfish heads and shells into a fine paste, either using a mortar, food processor (if you have a strong one) or what I find quite efficient: a rolling pen. Place this paste along with the brandy and the butter into a pot and place this one into a double-boiler or bain-marie. Allow the butter to melt completely. Let this mixture infuse for and hour at a temperature just below the butter melting point. Strain, using a fine chinois, pressing the paste to make sure to extract all the butter. Place this flavoured butter into a terrine and put it in the fridge to set. Then cut into slices and freeze them until needed. A little tip: I like to very gently roast the crayfish heads and shells in the oven for 2 to 3 hours at 70 degrees Centigrade with a sprig of thyme and oregano and a couple of cloves of garlic and a dash of olive oil before pounding them. It will make the butter all more flavorful.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That sounds fine. I learned to do it a different way. Basically, you start out the same, pureeing the butter and shells together in the processor. Then you bake at 250 for about an hour making sure the butter doesn't start to get too brown. Remove the pot from the oven, and pour in hot water to cover the shells by about two or three inches, then cool the pot in a cold water bath and refrigerate. When the butter solitidies, it will be at the top of the pot, you just take it out in a few pieces, melt gently and then strain.

Either way would work well, I think.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll try your way - sounds great.

Ole War Skule

Reaction score
Crawfish ettouffee, crawfish bisque, crawfish stew, crawfish omelette, cold or warm crawfish dip, batter and quick fry for a poboy, crawfish and grits, crawfish eggs benedict, or just eat them cold.

hamish5178

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ole War Skule
Crawfish ettouffee, crawfish bisque, crawfish stew, crawfish omelette, cold or warm crawfish dip, batter and quick fry for a poboy, crawfish and grits, crawfish eggs benedict, or just eat them cold.

Thanks Bubba.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads